Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)  (Read 14206 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2013, 10:41:10 pm »

Hopefully, I can get a couple years done...

What are you talking about?  Turns only go for one year.
Didn't realize that... Must've overlooked that in the rules somewhere

NOTE:
Some appropriate music as you read if you desire:

Sometime Early Winter
My name is Highmax. I am a simple villager of the mountainhomes. My life was simple. I had no obligation to anything, just me and my duties as an aspiring soldier. I had only a couple of friends but I usually kept to myself. I had one sparring partner and she uses an axe. She also is a woodcutter. Me? When I'm not practicing, I'm hauling things. Life was simple in the mountainhomes.

I always dreamed about one day becoming a grand adventurer and travelling the world over and slaying great beasts and coming home with glory and honor to my name. But all my dreams were taken away when I got summoned by the monarchy. I was selected along with my sparring buddy and five others to go and make an outpost for us in the middle of nowhere. I know it’s usually cold, but come on! This is ridiculous! We don’t even know where we are going but we were forced to go with a wagonfull of stuff. Thankfully I got my sword to come along with me. All I can say is I’m really fed up with this whole idea. I was minding my own business with this and WHAM! Fate calls us! Just great… I hope the directions we’re getting takes us somewhere warm and somewhere not too dangerous… Hell, who am I kidding? There are Horrors out there in the world I don’t even know of. Well, I might as well enjoy the journey, as this will be the only chance at adventuring I can get my hands on. Maybe one day, when I’m much older, I’ll leave and make for places unheard of! It’ll be a wonderful adventure then… But for now, I’m selected as leader of this band… Well, here’s hoping we make it there in one piece!

Sometime Late Winter
Its been a couple months and we’ve hardly seen anything but ice and snow. And that mountain that’s off in the distance… Those who knew the area said it was a volcano. What kind of person wants us to be so close to a hellish mountain like that? From what the others who are leading us to our destination say that the volcano IS where we’re going. I hope he’s joking…  We also had some talk about what to name our group and the fortress once we get there. I cracked a joke and said the fortress should be a mock of the mountainhomes and say it’s The Homes of Ice. They thought I was serious ad it stuck. Then I poked with the hellish mountain idea I said earlier about why we should be going there, and one of the miners said we should be called the Hellish Mountain of Dwellers. It’s strange, but it actually works. I can only hope we get there soon. This snow and ice is really starting to beat down on us in this storm… I can say though, this journey is actually rather fun. We’re all having a grand old time telling stories to one another about back home. It’s a wonderful feeling to get out of the mountainhomes and journeying out into the world. It’s actually kind of peaceful.

Ending Days of Winter
Well, we're here. I don't know about it too much, but we're here. The volcano in our sights, and the grand view under it is breathtaking. But I can't help but notice the sheer unease I am here... I heard wolves on the way here, but that's not whats unsettling me... Its the entire land itself... Its literally terrifying me. But today, we must work if we're to survive. We got lots of supplies and lots of food. I just hope it lasts us.

Let Bom Ushil, The Homes of Ice, Strike the Earth!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:29 pm »

Wow... I suck at terrifying biomes... Twenty seconds in and everything dies... Well, time to start getting acquainted with learning how to cope with this...

Because giant raven corpses are !!FUN!!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 07:21:51 am »

Bring hammers, mine straight down asap and build an atom smasher.  Once you've finished the atom smasher, follow these two simple steps.
1: Smash anything you suspect of even being remotely dangerous.
2: Repeat step 1 as needed.
That's the basic idea. As for my turn, I'm halfway through the year. Updates will probably be bi-annual in df years for now in my case, unless something crazy goes down. On that note, here's the first update. Writing has never been my strong suit, but at least I'm telling people what's going on. Also friendly reminder to put notes on levers. My biome seems to be a tundra and not a glacier, which is nice I suppose given the annoying stair bug in glaciers.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I will show more images of the fort at the end of the year, unless I find the caverns. Doesn't make much sense to me to make tons of screenshots when the area is going to change in 5 minutes of play anyway.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:43 am »

I was thinking of digging down and making a hatch to just covered the roof. When the big bad zombies are around, lock it. If they aren't, grab stuff from the wagon and bring it to the stockpile. Then kill anything that can redirect itself.

Gonna be honest, never embarked on terrifying before, and I hate undead fliers -_-

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »

This is going to be close. I played up until early winter, and then my dad had to bring the laptop to his work, and I have volleyball today and tomorrow basically all day. I'm in mountain time too, so I'm like two hours behind eastern. I'm pretty sure I can finish though.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »

1st of Felsite, 31: Surveying and Problems

You know theres a problem when the land is covered in snow. You know it’s a bigger problem when you don’t see any trees… Well Bolloks… Theres no sign of plants either. Regardless, We gotta start somewhere, so we got a rough plan sketched out and we’re gonna stick close to that big hole full of lava. Why? Because lava is useful. Well, lets get to work then. I’m no use when I’m just sitting here writing this stuff down.

5th of Granite, 31: Problems In the Sky
The farmer had spotted something in the distance as we were unloading and digging. He thought it was a snowy owl, which to him was a good omen. I looked harder and I saw that it was no normal snowy owl...

Quickly, I ordered everyone to grab whatever pieces of rock we had loaded on our cart and told them to haul ass. And by haul ass, I meant make stone walls. We barricaded the wagon in and we saw that the "good omen" was a giant ass snowy owl... That was UNDEAD. It clawed at us as we put the roof on but a yak was strolling by from our livestock and it began to chase that. We quickly got a floor hatch made and sealed ourselves inside. I immediately told the miners to dig out a space for farms and the like. We're going to be down here for some time...

16th of Granite, 31: Well Bolluks...
You know how I said the miners were digging out spaces for us? well, we tried to dig down and we found ourselves digging into damp stone... I could immediately tell we hit an aquifer, and I've heard so many isssues others have had with this. My only hope is we can somehow deal with the loads of water. I just hope its freshwater...

((OOC: Out of the frying pan and into the fire? I've dealt with the undead, but now I got an aquifer to deal with... Well, I'm gonna have to learn just as quickly to get past aquifers...))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 11:16:02 pm »

24th of Granite, 31: Solutions! And Possible Problems...
Well journal, I have got to hand it to you. This is probably the best idea I have come up with. We're going to cause a controlled landslide and force the aquifer to bend to our will. It will stop flooding the damn halls! Now, Here is the tricky part; we have to do it REALLY close to the surface. Like the same elevation as our little barricade but still underground. One false dig and its all over for us. Meanwhile, I'm thinking we should try to connect to the outside. Because if others come to us from the mountainhomes, how will they know we're here? The snow has buried our barricade and they can't get to us since we broke the ladder... So, we're going to make a gate of sorts. I'm debating between floodgate or an actual door. Maybe both?

2nd of Slate, 31: The Moment of truth
Well, the landslide is about ready to go. Miner, channel out that floor!

*dust and water splashes across the pages*

Well, I can't tell if we did it or not. Its covered in water right now. We're having a floorboard placed now. Hopefully this bids us well...

LATER:
Success! take that you damned aquifer! Turns out the water was shallow enough that it will just evaporate over time. Now that we have stone, its time to get to work!

16th of Felsite, 31: Ore at Last!
Today we dug downwards and found something amazing! Ores! Its simple copper, but hey, its something, right? We're already got the door and airlock set up, so nothing can get at us. Hopefully, we can get some good gear out of this!

((Due to the lag I have to kind of chunk my updates since after so much time writing or leaving this open, I can't write no more. Sorry about spam posts!))

9th of Malachite, 31: Progress and Migrants
I just heard something knocking on our door. It looks like more dwarves from what the hatch shows. Let them in! There are three woodworkers... In a land with no trees... Wonderful... Maybe we can use them for something else... Meanwhile, the miners are carefully digging out the copper, digging out only copper and nothing but. This will keep me and my sparring buddy busy for a bit..
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:33:10 pm by highmax28 »

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »

Wow Highmax, hope you enjoy yourself up there.
But hey, Snowy Owls are still good omens even if they're undead.

Late Autumn, 31
This season was atrociously boring, save for the month of Timber.

At the very beginning of Timber, we finally managed to find the caverns. About fuckin' time, too, since we just received a new wave of migrants last month. They included a Glazer (useless as always), a Cook (okay), as well as two other dwarves who I'm just using for hauling at the moment.

Assuming we don't get brutally sodomized by everything hiding out down there, it seems we've got a quick supply of wood for the moment. Since it won't last long, I've ordered our now-Legendary (surviving) miner and our brand-new miner the Soap Maker to dig out an area in the dirt for a tree farm.  I'm not planning to use that area for pasture, but one of the migrants did bring her pet lamb so I decided to let it root around the place, munching on the moss as it pleases.

Now, not long after we found the caverns the Farmer came up to me in hysterics, claiming that Vabok's spirit had been disturbing him while he was trying to go about his daily life. At first I called him a faggot, saying that Vabok already had been put to rest as a memorial for him had been engraved and placed somewhere.

To this he replied that nobody had ever even engraved the stone, there was just a blank slab. I quickly pushed him aside, hauled my ass down the stairwell, barged into the meeting hall where the stoneworker in charge of engraving the stone was taking part in a circlejerk and threw a boulder at the motherfucker.
The little dipshit had apparently ignored my orders and was just dicking around (quite literally) inside of the meeting hall. After pulling up his pants, I sent him on his way to the workshops with blue balls and a huge bruise on his body.
Eventually the slab was completed and I quickly ordered for it to be placed just outside the entrance to the fortress.

Now this is just a temporary resting place; I'm planning to actually carve out an area overlooking the volcano where we'll put Vabok's memorial slab. It's a lot like placing Joan of Arc's tomb in front of a person burned at the stake, but hey, scenery is always good when it involves magma. Especially if it's the said magma that killed the dwarf.

After that I kicked the stoneworker down the stairs and ordered him to get back to work on smoothing out the meeting hall. After about two weeks he told me he had completed the detailing, and indeed that room was rather fuckin' pretty. Now all we need is some tables and chairs, assuming that this same stoneworker and our expedition leader can stop masturbating in public and get to actually crafting these pieces of furniture.

Not much else happened this season other than the occasional drop in booze supply.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2013, 04:12:53 pm »

Yeah, memorials at the entrance rule, dont they

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »

Well, at least he's having fun with it. Me? I got MORE giant ravens coming down at me! And trying to build the trade depot results in them chasing the masons and devouring their flesh as they rise freom the dead.. Fun...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2013, 05:42:59 pm »

>Trade depot

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2013, 05:47:05 pm »

>Trade depot
I can make it safe! I just need the damn ravens to chase the yak and the water buffalo for awhile! They're really loving the exercise!

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »

>Trade depot
I can make it safe! I just need the damn ravens to chase the yak and the water buffalo for awhile! They're really loving the exercise!
Allright, goo luck building it, let us know how much you traded:)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »

>Trade depot
I got copper stuff. And lotsa gems digging around. Should be fine provided they get in and I'm done construction by the time they arrive

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »

>Trade depot
I got copper stuff. And lotsa gems digging around. Should be fine provided they get in and I'm done construction by the time they arrive
...that's the thing. They won't arrive.

Ever.

You're surrounded by glaciers, remember?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10