Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)  (Read 14207 times)

Supermichael777

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly unusual political veiws
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2013, 05:35:40 pm »

why am i not on that alt list?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:13 pm »

Expect delays with me. I'm gonna finish necrothreat II and then get cracking on this. I've been distracted with Pokémon X/Y all day yesterday. I'll start a log as soon as I begin. I'll make it interesting as well
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:09 pm »

why am i not on that alt list?

Because you are.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 10:02:28 pm »

Just to update on the Original Post: I saw the list of volcano/fortress name, and I'd like to update my Fortress name.

It's Cancercandy.

So put that next to Site 8. <3
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Supermichael777

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly unusual political veiws
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 12:07:47 am »

tested the save on that inhospitable mountan it aperars it is to cold for organic objects to exist

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2013, 12:30:36 am »

tested the save on that inhospitable mountan it aperars it is to cold for organic objects to exist

Sounds awesome. Try it out on your spare time and see if it does anything  :P

Dwarven hypothermia sounds !!FUN!!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:56 pm »

I figured that's what was going on. I wonder if proximity to magma will preserve the food, but I always thought that that only works with melting ice. I guess the Dwarves can still sustain themselves by hunting live vermin, but that seems like it would take a pretty heavy toll on productivity and happiness.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 04:46:27 pm »

I figured that's what was going on. I wonder if proximity to magma will preserve the food, but I always thought that that only works with melting ice. I guess the Dwarves can still sustain themselves by hunting live vermin, but that seems like it would take a pretty heavy toll on productivity and happiness.

Might want to work the farms a little heavier...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »

Overture - Personal thoughts of Sir Ancistrus, 9th Granite, year 31

I woke up with the worst hangover today. Bright yet cold sun scorched my retinas but after a while my sight adjusted, only to see a most horrible scenery - neverending whiteness in every direction. The hell did I do last night? Or the night before that? Why am I lying on the top of a hill with lots of crap lying around?....Wait, who am I?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suddenly a pair of dwarves showed up.
?:Hey, sir, you were still asleep when we arrived, so we started without you!
?:Started with what?
?:With building the fortress of course!

Oh god, oh god, oh god. It seems I signed up for one of those classic suicide expeditions.

?:Where are we?
?:This place has no name yet, sir. We are waiting for you to pick one.

So I am the overseer. This is getting better.

?:Can you tell me what my name is?
?:Why, your name is Ancistrus. You mean you can't remember?
Ancistrus:Actually, I can not. I seem to have forgotten all about my past life, I can't even remember how old I am!
?:Oh, sir none of us can remember that. You see, the dwarven history started 31 years ago with the Great Hangover. We all woke up in the mountainhome and none of us could remember anything that had happenned before. We found a guy sleeping on a golden throne so we assumed he was the king. Another guy was found passed out next to a goblin corpse so we made him a general.
Ancistrus:Was I there back then?
?:I assume you were, sir.
Ancistrus:What do you mean you assume?
?:I can't actually remember that. You see, 3 months ago I woke up with this horrible hangover, and I couldn't remember anything about myself or anything else. Rith, here, then told me everything I needed to know about our past.
Ancistrus:So Rith, can you tell me how we were sent to this place?
Rith:Oh no, sir. You see, 4 months ago I woke up with this terrible hangover...
Ancistrus:Dammit! Allright who told you about our history?
Rith:Olon did. But Olon got it from Iton, who was told everything by Aban.
Ancistrus:Good. I take it that this Aban knows everything?
Rith:No...he too was told the story after a very long party.
Ancistrus:Who told him?
Rith:You did, sir.

Fantastic.

Ancistrus:Listen everyone, we really have to stop drinking alcohol. From now on, it will be just water!
Rith:There is no fresh water.

This is going to suck.

Journal of Sir Ancistrus

Mid spring
A diary seems like a good idea with the way I keep forgetting everything...so here I go. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. Heh, talking to a diary. Heh. Anyway...
I ordered 20 bedrooms to be carved out. While carving, the miners stroke microcline. Again. The area seems to be truly blessed with it. Microcline doors and microcline cabinets for your microcline rooms are coming, dwarves! Maybe I will encrust your beds with microcline when I have more time.
In other news, our farmer, Olon, told me there is a dead, deceased ibex corpse somewhere in the area, but she has no idea where. I will make sure to be cautious around her. The farmer, I mean.

Late spring
There is some grass under the snow, but animals can't seem to notice it, so they are starving. I ordered a slaughterhouse to be built, first by the crazy farmer, Olon, later by ANYONE, but the dwarves are busy with synchronized drinking, sleeping, eating and wanking, presumably. Everything and everyone is really slow here. Maybe a result of low temperature?
I ordered the miners to just dig down and down, until they find something, anything interesting.
Orthoclase, sphalerite and galena so far.
Asshole farmer still hasn't slaughtered those animals, even though she has no other job. I hope that some other, less retarded dwarves will come soon.
Pictured: Future crossroads of underground tunnels. Not pictured: Any goddamn work being done. Guess why.

INTERLUDE
Two dwarves are sitting in a horribly, sickeningly blue room. One is frustrated, the other is an imbecile.
-No, Sir, I am afraid you can't name this fortress Ancistrusville.
-Fine! I said I would be perfectly happy with Ancistruspolis.
-No, not that either. That sort of egomania is not approved of.
-Fine...look, there is a volcano and a lot of snow. I suppose we could honor the old dwarven legends and call this site Kriegspire?
-No Sir. Krieg is not in the list of approved words.
-A list of... You are kidding right? Let me see that.
-Allright I have made a decision.
-You didn't pick some ridiculous name just to punish me for doing my job? Did you, Sir?
-Oh please. I would never make such an important historical decision just to annoy someone.

And so was estabilished the Fortress of Gooooze.

Early summer
I was hoping to have farms operating by now. But despite my dwarves' assurance that this whole area is one big aquifer, I have yet to see any underground water. I ordered some random holes dug, hoping to speed up the search. There is some soil, but it is quite far above our main living area. And since our famer is a complete moron with the attention span of a dead monarch butterfly, i want those farms to be as close as possible.
We haven't found any caverns either and we ran out of wood.

Late summer
8 more dwarves just came and none of them are children. They are however, still idiots. We live in a tundra. Why on this god forsaken earth would a beekeeper, a herbalist, or a woodcutter come here? I was hoping for some miners, but no.

Surprisingly, one of the immigrants actually remembers how she got here. Apparently, dwarven society is in a great trouble and citizens are slowly being evacuated into last 7 remaining colonies, ruled by the last 7 dwarven lords. When I asked her why she chose my fortress in particular, she mumbled something about a "short straw", then broke into tears. I think she likes me.
Also, I am building the farms right now, lest we all die of thirst in a few months. I am surprised that all dwarves are still alive, seeing how incredibly lazy and inefficient they are.

Early autumn
We found a cavern. There is nothing of value in it, but I am going to have some cage traps placed there, just in case some interesting fauna wanders by.

Mid autumn
We found another, better cavern that actually has trees and stuff.
Even though our two mechanics have had a f**king ETERNITY to install a cage trap in a narrow corridor connecting our halls with the caverns, they failed to do it, because they are stupid and they suck and now there is a LARGE RAT roaming our halls.
I didn't really expect the dimwitted dwarves to do anything about the rat. But the fact that the war dog just apathetically stared as the rat ran around him truly scared me. Apparently, the suicidal lethargy that the dwarves exhibit is contagious, even to animals.

Luckily the rat seems to be infected too. Having explored most of our fortress, it decided to settle down near the food stockpile, ignoring everyone, only grabbing a biscuit occassionally.
I am actually becoming quite lethargic myself. It seems there is nothing in this world that would convince our masons to build a wall to block the way to the caverns; instead they just make up the most ridiculous of excuses. Likewise, there is nothing I can do to persuade our mechanics to install that f**king cage trap. Other dwarves don't seem to be doing ANYTHING, too.

I really need to get out of this place.
Meanwhile, the large rat has reached the same conclusion. In a desperate attempt to save its sanity, it ran towards the exit. It ran right trough a stone trap, unfortunately. Now it is slowly crawling away from this accursed place. I hope it makes it.

Two immigrants came today. Yes, just two. Although, one of them is a weaponsmith, who is just a couple of blades short of greatness. I mean, he is even better than a professional weaponsmith. I mean, he has ACCOMPLISHED much in the field of smithing weapons. Get it?
Which is good for him, but the best he can do in here is making some copper spiked balls.

Late autumn
Oh great news! We finally found that dead ibex corpse. Now that I know where it is, I will sleep much easier.

Also, the crippled rat has escaped with 16 tallow biscuits. Whatever. He deserved them more than any dwarf in this monument to laziness. I hope he has a good life and many children.

Early winter
A troglodyte had been caught by a cage trap in the depths. I checked whether there were any other troglodytae nearby, and when I didn't find any, I authorized reloading the trap. By the time mechanic got there, another troglodyte actually did show up and now he is chasing the mechanic through the caverns. I am not sure if I care at all.
The troglodytae are camping near our exit to the caverns, so I discontinued the cage trap program for now. I instead chose to have a door installed. The previously mentioned weaponsmith brought the door to the spot, installed it, and promptly fell asleep, leaving the door open. This time a GIANT RAT seized the opportunity and infiltrated the fortress. I have no words to describe this level of stupidity. The rat soon attacked the idiot and sent him running towards the troglodytes. Now he is being chased. Occassionally he falls asleep only to be woken by scratches and punches.
But now he got caught in a hidden web? The possibility of having a giant cave spider somewhere underground scares me quite a bit. Also, the woodcutter reports that he hacked some gremlin to pieces in our tunnels.
This is quickly getting out of hand - I am going to seal the exits to the underworld.
The weaponsmith is dead now, his brain splattered on the cave floor. Yeah that tends to happen when you decide to take a nap while a vicious troglodyte is chasing you, dumbass.  On a more positive note, we captured the GIANT RAT. I am puting it on display in the middle of our newly carved meeting hall.

All hail, the most intelligent being in this fortress!

Late winter
Haven't done much recently. I am firmly decided to escape this place. Celebration of the new year should be a perfect opportunity. Not that anyone would actually try to stop me - I just don't want to look them in the eyes as I leave. I am not good at saying goodbyes. Especially to dwarves I hate and wish they all died, because they are idiots and they suck and I hate them. My last act here was personally placing a memorial to the dead weaponsmith just outside our gates.

I added a small inscription, that reads: You must be at least this smart to enter. While I have no love for this place, introducing someone even dumber than that insane weaponsmith to this place could potentially cause the end of the world as we know it.

On the last day of Obsidian, I packed some yak biscuits, a bottle of wine, some chunks of priceless aluminum and slowly sneaked through the hallways. The celebrations turned my dwarves into even bigger morons, astonishing as it is.
Two dwarves were spilling expensive alcohol on the floor, laughing, then banging their heads against a wall, then laughing some more.
In the kitchen, the cook watched with blank expression as the plump helmet on a frying pan became darker and darker and eventually burst into flames.
In the meeting hall I saw a dwarf violently arguing with a statue.
As I finally made it outside, I turned around and gave the last look to the entrance to my ex-fortress. A few meters above the entrance, on the side of the mountain, stood Olon, the mad farmer. She looked at me, insane smile on her lips, madness in her crossed eyes. She made a weird noise and started drooling rapidly.

The spit came down, missing me by inches and I took off.

Allright, thats all. It may have sounded exaggerated, but those dwarves really were unbelievable. I have been playing Dwarf Fortress for 4 years and I have never seen a bunch of dwarves lazier and stupider than these.
Since this is my first attempt at playing the newest version of Dwarf Fortress, I speculate that dwarves were nerfed somehow. And just to be perfectly clear, this goes far beyond their inability to efficiently transfer heavy rocks. It seemed to me that the duration, or perhaps frequency of Eat/Drink/Sleep jobs has tripled.

Eagerly awaiting other reports and my next assignment.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2013, 07:28:29 pm »

I am not looking forward to inheriting your fortress anytime soon, Ancistrus.

Late Summer, 31
This season, I decided it was time to start pumping out metals. One of the main benefits of being near magma is its usefulness for forging. Despite the dangers of being around it, magma is still quite useful for all manner of uses, such as:

1) Smelting ores.
2) Forging pointy/sharp things out of metals produced by ores.
3) Sticking pointy/sharp things into soft/mushy (living) things that aren't other dwarves.
4) Sticking pointy/sharp things into hard/crunchy (living?) things and subsequently getting torn in half.
5) Burning to death.

So, to harness the magnificent power of magma, I ordered a magma reservoir to be dug out under the future forge area. It should house up to 4 forges and 2 smelters, which will be more than enough in the future. There's a brief sketch of my plans for it below.

The two miners started work immediately. As they were working, roughly a week into the digging of the reservoir, some migrants arrived to the fortress. Exactly four of them, and it seems I got lucky: not a single one was a child. However, all of them are pretty much useless to us at the moment. I don't get why a bone carver would come to a place that hardly has any reliable sources of bones or why a gem setter would arrive to a fortress devoid of any gems, but hey, I'm not going to complain. It just means a larger work force and more dwarves to manage the farms.

Although, I'm still pretty fuckin' pissed off at the beekeeper that decided he could just waltz into here with his fist up his own ass and expect us to just give him free access to our fortress without him at least doing some work.

I'm sure we'll find some use for the soap maker in the future.

In any case, two months in we finally put in all the finishing touches into the reservoir. I made sure all the walls were padded with Obsidian and that a magma-safe floodgate was placed and hooked up to a nearby lever. I also placed two doors outside the reservoir to make sure no assbuckets decided to jump into the magma. Now that everything was in place, all I needed to do was order a dwarf to dig a hole into the volcano and hightail it the fuck out of there before they got swallowed up.

...but it seems I did not quite account for the nine metric tons of pressure pushing down into the magma from above...
...and straight onto our Master Miner.

I still feel terrible about it. I didn't tell anyone about Vabok's death for at least five days and instead ordered someone to shut the floodgate once the magma was three-quarters of the way up the reservoir. When I did break the news to them, people didn't seem too sad about his loss. But I still sort of am. I guess I'll be seeing more death in the future if we breach the caverns unprepared anytime soon.

In any case, we continued with my plans after I ordered the creation of a memorial stone for Vabok and constructed a magma forge and a smelter above the reservoir. Then, I ordered the Gem Setter to start smelting tetrahedrite ore and similarly ordered the beekeeper to start making copper battle axes for when we breached the caverns. They could serve the dual purpose of woodcutting implements and enemy-cutting implements (refer to magma benefit #3).

I also ordered a stoneworker to start smoothing out our new dining hall. It's already under use as a meeting hall but smoothing it out should make it a legendary-quality room before long.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »

Quote from: ancistrus
Late autumn
Oh great news! We finally found that dead ibex corpse. Now that I know where it is, I will sleep much easier.
Oh that's okay then.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:28:57 pm by ShadowHammer »

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:07 pm »

Quote from: ancistrus
Late autumn
Oh that's okay then.

Yeah, you know initially I was wondering if he had embarked on an evil biome but now that I know what it is I feel much better.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 07:51:35 pm »

I know this is really delayed, but I'm gonna shoot for the starting of the fortress tomorrow. I got lots on my plate ATM and I will do as much as I physically can before the time limit occurs. Expect me to be a few years behind

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 09:06:09 pm »

Starting the fortress today. Salt water? Aquifer? Terrifying Biome?

This is going to be the most difficult embark I have EVER done... I'll post my logs in bunches and dated. Hopefully, I can get a couple years done...

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »

Hopefully, I can get a couple years done...

What are you talking about?  Turns only go for one year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10