Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)  (Read 14194 times)

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 07:06:42 pm »

Heh, no trees, no soil, salt water, no trade and on a terrifying glacier? this will be a walk in the park.  :P
FUCK YOU MAN I GOT STUCK WITH AN AQUIFER
(But in all seriousness, gg mate. May Armok have mercy on your soul.)

1st of Granite, 30
I never asked for this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They named the place Cancercandy of all things. I know this continent is cold and unforgiving already, but we got the daunting task of starting up the fortress with an Aquifer. That's the one thing we really don't need: an aquifer. Trying to get that out of the way will be time-consuming, most likely, so any shelter we make will have to be in the first few small areas we dig out of the mountain.

We're located right next to the volcano, though, so we've got some quick access to magma, which can be used to make a military quickly. Ablel, one of the miners, came back after digging for an hour or so yelling that he had found a lair. "The Murky Oblivion," he called it. That's why I'm glad we can make some weapons early: immediate access to tetrahedrite means I'll be able to outfit migrants with copper armor and weapons quickly. The lair itself if home to a single gloom woman, a large humanoid with long, wavy gray hair and a curling trunk that howls into the high winds. This one's called Nekol Zimeshvucar, and thankfully is located quite far away from us, at the base of the mountain. This doesn't mean we're safe, though: all that's separating us from her is a steep cliffside that she could easily climb if she wanted to. I'm just hoping she doesn't come bother us any time soon.

In any case, we've already dug out the entrance to the fort, which will soon be walled off and defended by a drawbridge. The miners are currently digging out the general purpose stockpile in the floor below us, which will soon be where I redirect all the members of the fortress. I can only hope that Armok will give me the strength and wisdom to help these disgusting peasants brave dwarves to survive in this harsh place.

[OOC: My body is so ready for this.]

EDIT: I actually had to savescum because all of my food stocks had suddenly vanished and I had no idea why. I'll research that a bit and then I'll try again. Is that outside the rules?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:13:03 pm by BlackMuffin »
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 07:18:58 pm »

EDIT: I actually had to savescum because all of my food stocks had suddenly vanished and I had no idea why. I'll research that a bit and then I'll try again. Is that outside the rules?

Judge's call is yes, that's fine.  You scummed on the play you just posted, or before?
And if you are starting over, I officially order you to keep the name Cancercandy, because that's just hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:38:28 pm by Angiki »

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

Heh, no trees, no soil, salt water, no trade and on a terrifying glacier? this will be a walk in the park.  :P

Naturally.  I wouldn't want it to be too easy!

a cave in at the start...hope there wont be too many fps issues, especially since this is, wait, i calculated it....30 times the size of my usual embark(z levels included)

What's your usual size?  The rules allow for between 4x4 and 5x5.

2x2 ~25 z levels, no hell, 1 cavern layer

150 dwarves and 8 years later i still have 100 fps
anything less and i would give up
so this will be quite different than my usual gameplay

Oh god I embarked without any Appraiser
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:00:52 pm by ancistrus »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 08:44:48 am »

I'm fairly certain aquifers are on every site in this world. Apparently glacier aquifers are easier to get through than normal ones though. I'll be editing my logs into this post periodically.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 09:55:33 am »

Alright, it's the third time in a row that all of my food stocks just randomly implode and leave nothing but puddles of alcohol on the snow. This generally happens when I order the creation of a food stockpile. What the hell's going on?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 10:07:09 am »

I'm fairly certain aquifers are on every site in this world. Apparently glacier aquifers are easier to get through than normal ones though. I'll be editing my logs into this post periodically.
Mine doesn't have an aquifer, BUT IT REANIMATES THE DEAD PACK ANIMALS! Fortunately, they got butchered first, and horse hair is a lot less deadly then a full horse.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 11:13:07 am »

Mine doesn't have an aquifer, BUT IT REANIMATES THE DEAD PACK ANIMALS! Fortunately, they got butchered first, and horse hair is a lot less deadly then a full horse.

Same thing happened to me, some of the dwarves were quite traumatized by the marauding packs of yak cow hair. (how do yak cows even exist? is there a single blade of grass on this entire damn planet?) I ended up chucking all the hair into the volcano.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 12:58:57 pm »

That was my solution as well. BURN THEM WITH FIRE!!!!!!!

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 03:10:23 pm »

I'm reading you guys' reports and I'm not feeling so bad about my barrels exploding anymore. At least I'm in a neutral tundra. owo
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 03:34:18 pm »

This is completely audacious, but promising.

Sign me up. (my body is also ready)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »

Please tell me you actually modded these dwarves to be slow, ineffective idiots.

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »

Please tell me you actually modded these dwarves to be slow, ineffective idiots.

Nope, those ones come standard.

Alright, it's the third time in a row that all of my food stocks just randomly implode and leave nothing but puddles of alcohol on the snow. This generally happens when I order the creation of a food stockpile. What the hell's going on?

I embarked on your site and constructed a food stockpile, and dug around a bit.  Sure enough, my barrels exploded.  However, when I embarked again, I dug in quickly and got my barrels in the tunnel.  They didn't explode, though some of them showed signs of wear.  For a test, I set a few barrels outside and checked them periodically.  They became worn and eventually exploded, but the barrels in the tunnel remained intact and didn't deteriorate any more, as far as I can tell.

This world is cold.  I mean, really frickin' cold.  And you're in the southmost part. So I think leaving your barrels outside for too long will kill them.  I advise you to dig in quick and get your shit inside. 

As I was writing the last part, I checked the wagon.  It was gone too, as was everything not made of metal.  So there's that. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:29:59 pm by Angiki »

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2013, 04:27:18 pm »

Late Spring, 31

Finally I get some time to write down what's been happening.

At this altitude, snowstorms are brutal. We barely managed to get anything inside before one hit and we lot half of what we brought with us. All that survived after it hit was anything made out of metal or stone. Fortunately, we're all still alive, and so are the two pigs and the dogs we brought with us. In the past three months we've been working like crazy, trying to get ourselves self-sufficient before the caravan arrives at the end of Autumn. We're expecting some migrants soon, so we're digging down to the caverns as fast as we can so we have some access to wood before long. Only problem with that is we don't have any battle axes, so chopping anything down is a no-go until we've got the forges up and running. That shouldn't be too difficult since we've got easy access to magma and magma-safe stone, so all we need to do is breach the volcano, fill up a magma reservoir, and get to work. We've got some tetrahedrite anyways, so smelting and forging anything out of that should be a piece of cake. I don't expect to do that before the end of summer, though, so the migrants will have to make do without any rooms of their own for a while. We haven't carved out any personal quarters yet, though, so it's not like they'll be on the bottom of the social ladder or anything.

The gloom woman's stayed in her cave since we arrived here. I'm not dealing with her until we get a good military up and running, which may or may not take a while.

The workshop and farm areas are pretty much carved out, and I've had one of the masons pumping out blocks since we got here. We've already completed a bridge, so all I need to do is hook it up to a lever with some mechanisms. Won't take too long, I reckon. We didn't lose any seeds to the snowstorm, thank Armok, so we're doing fine with the farms at the moment. We did, however, lose half of our meat and fish stocks, so I ordered both of the Yaks that dragged the wagon here to be burned at the stake because they were obviously witches slaughtered and butchered so we have a fair amount of meat to last us for a good while. I've just ordered the carving out of a dining room and kitchen area, so we should be getting a still up and running by the end of next month. Strangely enough, I've ordered the digging out of roughly 20 total z-levels and we still haven't hit an aquifer. I think it's most likely because we're so high up that we haven't ended up reaching the aquifer yet; we'll probably get to it once we're at ground level.

In other news, everyone's getting hooked up and I'm just sitting here masturbating.

[OOC: I haven't been putting up any screenshots simply because I got surprised at how well this attempt turned out and forgot to take any screenshots since I was so afraid that my dwarves would die inexplicable deaths all of a sudden. That'll change next season, I promise. owo]
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »

Strangely enough, I've ordered the digging out of roughly 20 total z-levels and we still haven't hit an aquifer. I think it's most likely because we're so high up that we haven't ended up reaching the aquifer yet; we'll probably get to it once we're at ground level.

In my experience, digging down right next to the tube of the volcano will bypass aquifers.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »

Yeah. About that caravan....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10