Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)  (Read 14175 times)

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:05 pm »

Read your whole post...you aren't quitting, are you? :-[

I'm not quitting, no worries.
But I have plans.
Plans for destruction and mayhem.
AKA Killing the parasites.

Late Winter 32
I woke up in late Moonstone to find out that I had passed out a month ago, hunched over my journal with a dead puppy on my bed. I don't know what I did, but it seems that I had a bout of insanity before I went into my coma.

Unfortunately it seems I'm not the only one who passed out. On the 23rd, Stukos Guildmeet was building over the channels dug out to let magma into the reservoir so that magma crabs couldn't get in. He was accompanied by the 2 other masons, Cog Beachmachines and Imush Sootheattic, our legendary mason. As they were finishing up, a magma crab suddenly burst from the volcano and spit a glob of molten basalt at Stukos. It caught him square in the right foot, jamming it into his ankle and shattering both his foot and ankle before deflecting into his left false rib, which is now also broken. He fell over, passed out from the pain, and the beast spit another glob of basalt directed at Cog's torso. Cog only got bruised, but Stukos was in delirious pain. We have no gypsum powder to replace his bones, so I'm afraid he'll spend the rest of his days bedridden. That's a fate I'd wish on no dwarf.

Despite the dullness of this place, I do have one more thing to leave behind for these dwarves.

I PRESENT TO YOU
THE PINNACLE OF MY GENIUS
THE ONE AND ONLY

PUPPY ROOM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, when I say it's the pinnacle of my genius, I'm being sarcastic. Thing is, this is something I deemed necessary, as we can have an emergency food pet supply just in case the dwarves become really unhappy.

Actually, no, it's food after all.

Still, their diets do need to be more varied. These anus buckets keep complaining to me about how difficult their lives are and how they need to have some variety in their diets to be happy and blahblahblah shut the fuck up I'm busy trying to run a fortress.

ALSO, URIST MCFARMER, WE DO HAVE PLUMP HELMET SPAWNS, SOMEONE JUST HAPPENS TO HAVE TAKEN ALL OF THEM WITH HIM WHEN HE WENT TO GO PLANT JUST ONE SEED

Fuck this place, I'm out.

File:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8118
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:33:51 pm by BlackMuffin »
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2013, 03:44:59 pm »

I asked a few weeks ago if someone could take my place... no one did, did they? Oh well, I can probably do my turn eventually.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:01:05 pm by ShadowHammer »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:52 pm »

I'm probably going to be fashionably almost late again, but I don't intend on dropping out yet.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2013, 08:53:31 pm »

Wait. Did Knifegravel have flux? 'Cause if not, I just wasted a bunch of wood making charcoal.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2013, 03:50:58 pm »

Well so I don't end up being late, here is my save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8124

The write up and all that jazz will probably be up later tonight, not that there is much to write about, was a pretty mundane year.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2013, 04:49:35 pm »

Oh man forgot about this. I'll try and get this in but the writing probably won't be as good. Edit: Ok no I'm definitely not going to finish this. Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:55:10 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »

Oh man forgot about this. I'll try and get this in but the writing probably won't be as good. Edit: Ok no I'm definitely not going to finish this. Sorry guys.
I have your fort next, and I can definitely get a year done in 1 week, so you can take 'til next Saturday if you need to.

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2013, 05:28:14 pm »

The Journal of Angiki, Fortress of The Homes of Ice, Year 2

SPRING 32

1 Granite

I have arrived at my new charge, Bom Ushil.  All I can say is this.

THIS IS A PROPER DAMN FORTRESS.

Miserable dwarves living on bare floors, dwindling supplies, magma loosed on the world, and hungry zombies clamoring for blood just outside the door?  PRAISE ARMOK!  A place worth dying in!  If I survive here, it will be a travesty, but I shall do my utmost.
The caverns here have been breached, and we have a grand supply of copper bars.  These, and the magma, are probably all this fortress has going for it.  We're just one dead keet away from a tantrum spiral, but no matter.
I've ordered the still to be moved down to the food storage room, as I doubt we'd ever have enough food to fill the place.  Even down in the caverns, the trees are scarce.  A large scale tree farm will be my first project.

13 Granite

I've ordered the main door locked.  With no immigrants coming, and no resources outside worth mention, keeping the fortress sealed is the best option at this time. 

22 Granite

In an effort to raise moral, I've assigned our wax worker to take stock of our meager supplies.  I gave him strict orders to say we have more than we actually do.

26 Slate

Things have been pretty uneventful so far.  Our new tree farm is dug out, all it needs now is time.  The rest of the dwarves don't seem to be as miserable as they were before.  I'm actually getting a little hopeful about the future of this place.

13 Felsite

Not all is doom and gloom in the fortress!  Doren Ibeshletmos and Besmar Kolsezuk have married today, proving that even in the harshest places, love can blossom.  Or some bullshit like that.  11 dwarves is a rather small gene pool, though.  I'm beginning to worry about the second and third generations of the place.

SUMMER 32

7th Hematite

I just noticed today that one of the undead miner corpses was chatting with its own ghost.  This will simply not do.  These poor souls deserve a proper memorializing and burial.  And by burial, I men that if given the chance, I would have all the corpses tossed into the mouth of the volcano.

19th Malachite

I've discovered the source of the unending smoke outside:  an undead giant mole. The little bastard just won't finish buring, not even when I flooded it with magma. 
This place is awesome!

18 Galena

Joyous news!  A tree reached maturity within the fortress, now ripe for the harvesting!  Granted, it was in the main room, not the tree farm, but wood's wood.  I'll have it made into a bed.

AUTUMN 32

5 Limestone

Construction of our memorial hall has been completed, and the ghosts of the miners have been laid to rest.  It also makes for a lovely picnicking spot.

15 Sandstone

For all of the things I'd heard about this place, I'm beginning to realize that any fortress can be dull as dirt if you hunker down and pretend your outside don't exist.  Life is far too precious out here to go sallying forth to slay the walking corpses.  Hohm.  Just for the sake of somethign to do, I'm expanding the tree farm.  Got wood?

9 Timber

As I'm quite tired of tripping over stones in the dining room, I've ordered a stone storage room dug out.  We'll start carving blocks when we have enough trees to make bins.

WINTER 32

9 Opal

I think I fell asleep somtime last fall.  Don't think I missed anything.

28 Obsidian

Armok help me, I'm still here.  I suppose that isn't horrible, considering.  This fortress is only slightly more exciting than my last, but I definitely feel like I got more done.  Nothing to worry from the zombies, unless they work out how to open doors.

============================================================
http://www.mediafire.com/?k76dkp8xx5qw57a

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »

Well, this thing sure hit a bump, didn't it?  3 turns incomplete, I'm thinking maybe we should extend round two another week. Thoughts?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2013, 05:36:36 pm »

As I said before, I was busy and needed an alt to take over for me for the week. I still am, but I will try and resume if that goes to pass
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »

I am finished my turn, but can't upload the file right now. The write up and save will be posted in a few hours tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:49:19 am by ShadowHammer »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2013, 12:52:41 am »

The thing with this game is that it involves so many people at the same time; if you just kicked out the overseers who didn't finish in time, efficiency would likely increase.

^This sounds kinda heartless.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:43 am »

Could be a valid idea though. :l
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »

Knifegravel
Year 32

I have just taken the leadership of a fortress called Knifegravel. It seems very well set up, but I had to experiment to figure out what the levers did; no one seemed to know.
OOC: while I was experimenting, one of the miners got atomsmashed. Oops.
A large area has been dug in the dirt for a tree farm. Hopefully we will soon be able to begin forging proper steel weapons with the charcoal that this will provide.
The third cavern level has been discovered. Cage traps are being set up to stop cavern nasties from infiltrating our fortress.
Umm…  We captured some muskox, and I ordered them to be tamed. For some reason, the animal trainer decided to feed them COW BRAINS and WATER BUFFALO LIVERS to tame them. I guessed it worked, but…
Unknown to me, there is no flux stone anywhere here, so we can’t make steel armor. Our hammerdwarf still has a full set of masterwork iron, though.
A great enemy has come! The Forgotten Beast  a great Mite with a single eye! One brave dwarf, our only melee soldier, was the first to fight it. Despite his impressive armaments, he was unable to slay the beast, and he died, but this bought enough time for the marksdwarves to get into position and destroy the monster with a hail of bolts. Kib Thobuthir, Hammerdwarf, will be remembered as a hero.
Two new rooms have been made: one, a tomb for Kib, guarded by gold chained watchdogs, encircled with magma; and a new dining hall, dug out of obsidian, and filled with engravings. With the completion of these two projects, my reign has ended.

And the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8125

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:11 pm »

Want know what I want to know?

Whats the current populations of fortrresses?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10