Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)  (Read 14181 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »

My "evening" will be at 10:30pm my time, gotta work  :-[
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2013, 10:49:32 am »

So let me clarify; when we change forts, we go to the one directly after us, right? Like, I'll be taking ShadowHammer's fort and Ancistrus will be taking mine, right?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Angiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2013, 02:50:31 pm »

So let me clarify; when we change forts, we go to the one directly after us, right? Like, I'll be taking ShadowHammer's fort and Ancistrus will be taking mine, right?

That is correct.  Apologies for the lateness, I had internet issues.

Good luck, everyone, with round two!

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2013, 03:38:04 pm »

SHADOWHAMMER

SO I'VE NOTICED THAT YOU PUT THE FORGES OUTSIDE IN THE DEADLY COLD, OPEN TO ALL MANNER OF FOUL BEASTIES AND UNDEAD FLYING POLAR BEARS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You've killed us all.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2013, 09:16:35 pm »

Good god... And Ithought MY place was horribly done!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2013, 02:57:43 pm »

Arise from the ashes, O Glorious Thread

Late Spring, 32
FUCK THIS PLACE
FUCK WHOEVER DESIGNED IT
FUCK

Alright, so this place has hideous architecture which I won't even bother trying to draw here but let me just say that:
  • It's a very, very, very bad idea to put all of your forges outside in sub-10000U temperatures, especially on a fortress that will probably require a good amount of metal to make up for the lack of wood (to make bins, obviously, you fig).
  • Putting all of your workshops and the dining room right next to the living areas is just asking for dwarves to complain to you about noise.

Also, the entrance is poorly defended, there's no defenses anywhere near the caverns, and as far as I fucking know there's nobody here who's eaten anything other than a plump helmet in the past year. To fix the issue of defense, I dusted off my old *elf baby bone whip* and began getting the lazy fucks here into action. First order of business was to build a few drawbridges that could be raised later on and seal the fortress of entirely. Second series of action was to designate new workshop areas: one for all the magma related shit and the other for general creation of goodies. Third was the designation of better-placed stockpiles. The food stockpile is well-placed for now but I'm a bit concerned about the metal and flux stone stockpiles, mostly because they're outside, and I don't like outside.

Side note: I should check those bags and ropes outside for witchcraft. It's a wonder that they haven't completely disintegrated in the cold after a whole year of lying out there. Sure, I'll make a general stockpile which I can place them in, but first I gotta make sure nobody cast a curse on them that prevents them from disintegrating in the cold but also causes whoever touches them to impulsively shave their beard.
Urgh.

Apparently this EXPERT LYE MAKER (he must get all the bitches for all that lye. Especially since we can't spare any fucking ashes for lye in this Gods-forsaken continent. Shit, brah) named Edzul suddenly became highly skilled at operating furnaces. He ran indoors, calling out that he was now a 'High Master Furnace Operator'. Seriously, this guy's skillset is probably about as dull as his dick size.

But you wanna know what isn't dull? Insanity.

I was discussing politics with our blacksmith, Zuglar, during dinnertime last month (he seemed to be the only civil dwarf in this fucking place, reminded me a lot of when I discussed astronomy with some of the residents of Cancercandy) when I made mention of the trade embargo placed against the goblins fifty years prior was much like an artifact pig iron door: sturdy and impressive at first glance, but easily destroyed by an angry ogre who hasn't tasted a dwarf in quite a while.

Suddenly Zuglar looked up at me with a goofy grin on his face. He simply said quietly, "I've got it..." then stood up, flipped over the table, sending plump helmet seeds flying in every direction, and then bolted out of the dining room, yelling, "I'VE GOT IT I'VE GOT IT I'VE GOT IT!", his voice slowly dissipating down the corridor.

Now my concern here was that since we hadn't moved the forges inside yet, Zuglar might spend weeks outside trying to finish whatever the fuck he had thought of, but would only end up slowly freezing himself to death.

All he did at first was take some charcoal and a bar of iron, then he began hammering away with the intensity of nine hundred polar bears competing over a fresh kill that one had just snagged. I saw sparks fly, and I watched as the volcano itself bubbled more intensely as it seemed to sense Zuglar's fierce working. I watched from indoors as I expected Zuglar to die from the bitter cold. Against all of my suspicions, he not only survived the creation of his artifact...but he completed it in only three days.

I've ordered for the door to be placed in front of his personal quarters since he made an artifact after all. Now Zuglar has become the greatest metalsmith in the history of dwarvenkind, and I'm afraid he may be the most insane too.

ALSO CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE FUCK THESE BAGS HAVEN'T EVEN BECOME SLIGHTLY TORN YET
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2013, 09:59:04 pm »

Late Summer, 32
Oh gods I've only been here half a year and I already feel like killing myself. I can just feel how dull this fortress is. All the other dwarves feel it too. They drag their feet and hardly do the work I ask of them. Some of them immediately just mumble something and head to their rooms to take a two-month long break if I ask them to do so much as pick up the bags that were lying outside since I got here. On that note, I actually managed to haul all that shit into a general stockpile not too long ago. It's all organized neatly and is connected to every other level in the fortress by way of the main staircase, so if anyone needs anything they can access it quickly from the workshops or from the residential areas.

Although I'm getting the feeling that this melancholy isn't normal. There wasn't anything like this happening in Cancercandy. Dwarves were up and about, prancing about like a bunch of fucktards happy people content with helping out the greater good of the fortress. Here, however, the dwarves do little other than drag their feet as they attempt to not fall over and fall face-first on something sharp and die. I'm getting the feeling that it has something to do with the air...something's not right about this place anyways. There's something odd about the rocks, the snow, and the volcano. Hell, even the air itself is sinister. Something's not right about this place. It's not the same as any of the fortresses I've overseen before.

This season, only to add to the dreariness of this place, hasn't really brought us much in the way of events. I'm hoping no deaths occur under me in this fortress. I hope that even if any dwarves die under me, they can at least enjoy their afterlives away from this frozen piece of land...but I get the feeling they won't stay that way for long.

Not their corpses, at least.

Am I really the only one here who has time to do his turn you guys?
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2013, 10:27:01 pm »

SHADOWHAMMER

SO I'VE NOTICED THAT YOU PUT THE FORGES OUTSIDE IN THE DEADLY COLD, OPEN TO ALL MANNER OF FOUL BEASTIES AND UNDEAD FLYING POLAR BEARS.

I was going to build a big bridge over it, but I ran out of time.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:36 pm »

Can I get an alt to take over for me for this turn? I'm kinda busy with too much crap ATM...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2013, 05:27:32 am »

I am on it.
So ... definitely no migrants?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2013, 10:38:34 am »

I am on it.
As far as I can tell, nope. I pity whoever got mine; 11 dwarves alive

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »

I am on it.
As far as I can tell, nope. I pity whoever got mine; 11 dwarves alive
Oh God

I think I already know now which fortress will be the first to fall.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2013, 10:16:45 am »

Journal of Sir Ancistrus, part 2

Early spring
3 days on the road, 3 days since I escaped my personal purgatory. Finding dwarven settlements is easy when you
know what to look for - for example I spotted a herd of vultures flying to a certain location. Following them, I soon
found an entrance to a fort. Fort that will be my new home.
The locals welcomed me warmly. Or it may have been the convection from the volcano. Whatever. I jumped in
joy when I heard this place is called Cancercandy - I have heard rumors about this place. For example dwarves
"helping out the greater good of the fortress". This should be a nice change for me, though it looks like
one of those places where I get kicked out from for not being a team player. Meh, I will just start acting like a
leader and hopefully get away with it. They seem to be lacking any leadership anyway.
So let's get down to business.

I have been given some notes from the previous overseer, so I am going to carry out his orders. There are other
things that need to be done, too. I think I'll just start working and write, when there is something to write.

Here we have a large area that is still being dug out and I have no idea what it is suppossed to be for. We
already have crop farms and a tree farm near the surface. This is a horrible security hazard as there are lots
of holes to be sealed. I wonder if the previous overseer realized that some monsters can also swim and fly.

Wow, those are some big ass bedrooms. And carved in obsidian. The mason is busy making coffers and cabinets for
them too. Apparently, the dwarves will have all the luxuries they desire, so long as these desires don't include
doors, because fuck doors...? I fear my assesment was right - these dorks are so full of teamwork they don't
even want privacy. I worry that if I suggested placing some doors, I would probably go "missing" and get a nice
memorial somewhere near the magma. The expedition leader actually has a door, but also has way too many pictures
of koalas in her bedroom. Weirdo.

The so called all purpose stockpile is giving me headaches. There is a food stockpile near the dining room,
where it should be, but all the food is in the all-purpose-stockpile. I think I will just undesignate it whole.
Logistics wise, this place is pretty suboptimal. Changing the whole layout would be way too much work,
so i will just dig some new tunnels, and restrict some of the old.

Mid spring
There are far too many puppies and dogs. And dwarves are eating far too many plump helmets. Alterations of the
current arrangements have been made.
No migrants have come this season. I have spent some time thinking and avoiding everyone and I have come up with
THE ANCISTRUS PLAN.

Problem:
There are 14 dwarves. No one else is coming.
Solution:
1.Ensure survival of the currently present dwarves. We will rely on traps and magma to protect ourselves.
Goblin sieges are unlikely to come. Flooding the world with magma has little purpose. Small raiding parties will be
entering through a long corridor(to be built), triggering pressure plates and dying. No military will be created,
but all dwarves, except miners and woodcutters, will be put into squads and assigned armor.
2.Forced breeding program. Once we take care of the security, all dwarves will be stuffed into the
BREEDING ZONE.

Mid summer
The future entrance corridor is dug, and I am making a couple of small magma reseirvoirs above it. If my
calculations are correct, the amount of magma in them will be just enough to flood the corridor with very
shallow magma.

Here you can see a miner breaching the magma pipe. Some doors and a pump will be installed later.
Also I am creating a squad with the sole purpose of arming civilians.
Rith Notchin, you're the new militia commander.But don't think it means anything, because it doesn't.
All it means is that you're the new militia commander.

Late summer
Our best miner was bitten by a cave spider. (Worst journal entry ever)

Mid Autumn
The expedition leader and Kivish the stoneworker got married. Much of the first step of my plan is already done,
so I let the dwarves party. In our freshly carved 3x3 statue garden. Orgy time!

Late Autumn
I did a test run of the trap. Could have used a little bit more magma, but should be sufficient. If I did
everything right it should work like this:
1.Someone not of our fort triggers the northern pressure plates, that lower the bridges under the reseirovirs,
thus releasing the magma.
2.Magma triggers the pressure plate that rises the two drawbridges in the corridor, trapping intruders inside
while they burn. The amount of magma is optimized for prolonged pain and suffering, not for efficient killing.
3.Once the magma cools down, the drawbridges will rise on their own.
Civilians should avoid the corridor at all times.

Late Winter
I have no idea how he did it, but Kivish the stoneworker fell from the stairs and broke his finger. I am not
sure whether I should appoint a doctor to try to fix this horrifying injury. Any attempts of medicine are likely
to make this thing worse, rather than heal it.

The dwarves all assured me it was not my fault, but I know them too well. They blame me, I am certain.
I can feel the hostility whenever one of them looks at me. As nice as this place is, especially when compared to
Gooooze, I'd better leave. There are five more forts after all. I am bound to do well at least in one of them.

Am I not?

-Z screen. Much of the wealth consists of -obsidian mechanism-s.

http://skeletoff.ic.cz/Cancercandy-spr-33.rar

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »

Wow, Ancistrus, way to be rude about how I play the game. :(
I'm actually fully aware that there are flying and swimming beasties that can fly and crawl their way into my fortress but that's not much of a concern yet since:
  • I was planning to floor over the ramps in the water to prevent anything from getting up anyways.
  • There isn't anything flying that can hurt us yet since the biome we're in doesn't allow for that as far as I know. We're in a neutral calm biome, so we're pretty much safe from anything flying that has the potential to actually hurt anyone...at least as far as I know.
Also that area in the caverns was originally designed as an early tree farm, but now the huge open area near the refuse stockpile serves as my tree farm and general animal holding area. Now any overseers who succeed me can do what they like down there.

4th of Sandstone, 32
I can't take it here anymore. These dwarves...there's something wrong with them. None of them seem sane anymore. I don't know if it's that foul air outside, but I can seriously feel something tearing away at me too. Now it's not just the dwarves here that are going insane, but it's me as well. Day by day my sanity is leaving me. One of the dwarves has already gone insane and mutters relentlessly to himself as he works and hauls things. Nobody's gone stark raving mad yet, but I feel it may happen eventually. I don't know.

This is my first specifically dated entry. It's meant to serve as the date of my death just in case I don't make it out of this alive or fully sane. If I end up going crazy, then there may be no way back. If that's the case, I'm officially dead to the world.

In any case, the magma reservoir should be finished by the end of the season. We've already constructed an iron floodgate and now all that's needed is to hook it up to a lever and regulate the magma intake.

Undated Entry
This is a set of pages bordered with burn marks and the repeated word "MAGMA" in -puppy blood-. It consists of an 8-page journal entry that is untitled. It concerns the filling of the magma reservoir in Crystalmazes in the year 32. The writing is nearly unintelligible and completely insane.

HUEHEUEHEUHEUEH

IT'S TIME

THE GATES WILL BE OPENED

INFERNO SHALL BE RELEASED

THE GREAT INDUSTRY SHALL BEGIN

BUT THIS INDUSTRY IS ONLY PART OF A MACHINE

THE MACHINE FOR PIGS THAT IS THIS FORTRESS

FIT ONLY FOR THE SLAUGHTERING OF PIGS
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2013, 06:59:29 am »

It was more of a roleplaying thing, rather than personal, and I expect no less from those who succeed me. Remember, my fortress only had a single opening to the first cavern layer and it still caused a lot of mess and death.
I stand by all that I said, but please remember that the few things that puzzled me are but a small part of the overall design, which I mostly liked. If something worked well and was efficient, then I had no reason to mention it.

Read your whole post...you aren't quitting, are you? :-[
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:16:52 am by ancistrus »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10