Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky  (Read 18434 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1: Arrivals
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 07:50:59 am »

" Are you going up the river? I'm returning to my clan and would like to buy passage. "
(3) The captain huffed gruffly and gave TsuJochi a scowl before answering, "I don't see the need to help your kind get together. Downright frightening, that's what you all are. But if the money is right I can make it happen. Give me 60 copper coins and tonight we'll be on our merry way. I only ever make this trip at night. Don't like no Aethen bothering me."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:04:48 am by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 08:00:32 am »

" Thats quite alright. Btw me and the others of the Forsaken clan should not be a problem for you. We fight the pirates to protect you and everybody else who lives here. Don't lump us in with the others who hide in the hills and do nothing of worth. "

Accept the offer.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »

Uncharacteristically, Sofia took a while to simply gape. And another while.
...After a bit, she began looking at the weaponry again, but now she was thinking. The weaponry that would best go with the farsoul would truly be a bow- farsight plus  manipulation plus necromancy... not much reason to engage in melee, really.
So she went back to the display of bows, examining them more carefully and asking their price.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:02:33 pm »

'A tree that spoke' Kassen remembers. There are so many trees here, in the southlands. The very sight of all such things grouped together in one place astounded him. Wouldn't one get lost is such a labyrinth? What of raiders, would they not hide among the treeline? Trees, to Kassen, are a symbol of fertility and mystery. It is no surprise then, that these God-men of the humans would have such an symbol on their God-place. Somehow, it made him feel like less of a foreigner, and more of one at the same time.

Kassen brushes off his clothes and enters the temple, preparing a greeting in his head that would honour such esteemed citizens.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 01:18:23 am »

Day 1 - Afternoon

Seawall

Approaching the medical building, Meyath whispered defiantly under her breath “I am not too weak to help here.” Striding into the hospital with her fists clenched at her hips, she was greeted by a shriek from down one of the short corridors. Her nerves shaken, she momentarily felt the urge to leave, to hide from the pain here. But steeling her nerves, she walked straight towards the source of the sound. She came upon a small room with plain stone walls, and the source of the shriek became clear.

A young man, certainly no older than 17, was flailing about under a saw, having part of his leg amputated. His thigh must have been torn into by some form of explosion, because sections of bone were peeking through out of irregular cuts in his skin and muscle. A frail looking man was doing the sawing. Just as she processed the scene in front of her, the man saw her and said, “Don’t simply stand there! He’ll hurt himself if he’s allowed to move like this. Restrain him!” Not having time to think about what she was doing, she stepped up to the crude operating table and held the young man in place. Soon the saw was back, biting into his leg. He screamed further into the rag in his mouth, but before long there was a clean cut through his lower leg.

Meyath briefly relaxed, thinking it was over, when suddenly the man poured a clear liquid onto his patient’s leg. The screaming and struggling was briefly renewed, and Meyath caught a kick to the chest in her unprepared state. The look she gave the doctor must have been one of pure horror, because he explained quickly “The liquid isn’t meant to hurt him, it’s a brew from a local alchemist. It heals a clean cut quickly, but the pain is unbearable.”

Feeling the adrenaline fade from her body, Meyath slumped against the floor in front of the old man.

Aetharbor

TsuJochi approached the captain asking, " Are you going up the river? I'm returning to my clan and would like to buy passage. "

The captain huffed gruffly and gave TsuJochi a scowl before answering, "I don't see the need to help your kind get together. Downright frightening, that's what you all are. But if the money is right I can make it happen. Give me 60 copper coins and tonight we'll be on our merry way. I only ever make this trip at night. Don't like no Aethen bothering me."

Finding these terms to be mostly agreeable, he promised the captain he would return that night to set off up the river. All while this was happening he was desperately probing into himself to try to ancestor Cadus. This time he found that connection, and as he walked away from the ship he latched on to this connection in case he wanted to make use of it.

Farther north of this conversation, Kassen contemplated the image on the door. The parallel to desert imagery used in his own religion was unmistakable, but the foreignness of these trees was just as apparent, leaving him uncertain of his footing when it came to predicting this religions actions. Hoping for the best, he pushed open the adorned entrance and strode in, only to find himself in the middle of what must have been a prayer session. A dozen men in light blue robes with teal trim were kneeling in front of various different shrines, most with sea imagery, one with that particular kind of tree again, another of a man seemingly reading from a new decree. Oddly, none of them seemed interacting with each other, yet there was still a sense in which this was all performed in unison.

His suspicions that this must be a group practice despite the individual activities were only confirmed when they all looked simultaneously towards a wavy teal crystal in the center of the room and said “You are the God of the Sea and of the Light. You are He Who Decrees. Blessed be the World-Father.”

With that most of them set off on their individual ways. Lost in watching this worship, Kassen forgot what he was going to say when a man with an especially long beard approached him and asked, “What has brought you to the home of the Lord of the Brine?”

Kassen stumbled horribly over his words, replying, “Want to meet God-men. Please… Brine home open?”

The robed man gave a slight chuckle and replied, “Kindness to others is held as a high-virtue by the Blinding One. We are happy to open our home to you, and we can sort out what it is that you need from us in time.” With this he led Kassen into the main hall of their building.

Iseaya

It took an unusually long time for Sofia to come to her senses before she could really contemplate the possibilities of this small shop, but when she recovered some of her faculties of reason her first thought was that a bow would be by far best suited to her purposes. There were six bows laid across the table. Lifting each of them, she instantly decided that one which appeared to be made out of rock would simply be too heavy. Another metallic appearing one she simply could not draw back. It seemed designed for some incredibly strong individual, or perhaps she was using it wrong? Either way, it didn’t seem like a good choice for her.

There was a bow made from a living branch. It seemed to bend with her, and at first she felt it was impossible that there would be enough power in it for it to serve any practical purpose. However, as she released the string she felt the bow string snap hard against the limb. She felt certain that this bow was not acting like a normal one, and it felt quite light in her hands.

There was a bow made from a wood with a light reddish color to it, with steel caps. It also felt light, but seemed to return the force put into it. It seemed strong and balanced in her hands, and a few practice draws assured her that she could get it back far enough for use in combat.

The next bow had a very dark wood, with simple copper caps. It felt quite springy, but it did not feel quite as well balanced as the other bow. After a couple draws with this bow she was left with the feeling that it could work fairly well, and would perform well for a while, but she had a sneaking suspicion that it would simply not do as a long term weapon.

The final bow was made from a light yellowish wood. It had signs of wear on it, but the wood was still as springy as some of the better ones from the selection, but there was no obvious reason why the bow would need to retire. It seemed suspicious that such a bow would have found its way into a shop, instead of staying in someone else’s hands.

Quickly asking the owner of the store for price estimates, he said the living wood bow would be about 3 gold pieces, the reddish one he could part with for 2 silver, while he would give her either of the remaining 2 for 80 copper pieces. With any of these bows he would also be willing to give 10 arrows.

Spirarbor

Leaving the site of the great intellectual gathering, and his subsequent embarrassment, behind, Nico walked in towards the small town. He walked into the visible center of it, a fountain on a grassy intersection between several worn down streets. Looking in front of him, he saw what must be an inn. All around him were several stalls which were busy selling various foods and small items. Next to the inn was a smith’s forge, and people would occasionally walk up to interrupt the burly smith’s work. On the other side of the inn was a stretch of housing which appeared to have a number of conversations taking place around them. Instinctively Nico knew this must be where most of the intellectuals lived, but he thought better of pursuing any further interaction with them today. All in all he could tell this was a very minor port, whose identifying features consisted of a strange lighthouse and a community that grew up around it.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 01:27:53 am »

Meyath Recovers, and stands up

"If you wish, I may be able to alleviate his pain with my magic, but the method is soporific, so he won't be good for much until it wears off."

If offer accepted, Meyath will concentrate her desire to help and give the injured man a small dose of Nitrous Oxide (Laughing gas)
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:41 am »

Kassen absorbs all he can from the surroundings, as well as the passerby. He was eager to learn, especially of the secrets these God-men must hold. But for every prize, there is a trial. Star-Breaker's home was a place of trade. If you wanted water, you must first give a day of your service. If you wanted a blessing, you must hunt for the shamans. As such, Kassen wasn't about to just ask for answers. No, he must earn that right.

Once the elder God-man leads him into the sanctuary, Kassen speaks once more. "I give you work... sacrifice, and you give secrets of God. Yes?" If one thing can be said about Kassen, it is that he was a good worker. Single-minded, he will pursue a task until it is completed, to the best of his ability. But whatever trial this God-man had in store was sure to be difficult.

Trade work for secrets. If he wants to give the information freely, Kassen will insist on working. While working, absorb as much information about the town and its gods as possible.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 03:04:16 am »

Use my connection to open my mind to the emotions of anyone I focus on.

Walk around the town and ask anyone who feels lost or in need of a purpose to follow me. Go to the sea shore with them once I gather a big group.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:01:32 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »

As Nico looks across the small settlement, he comes up with a simple plan of what to do for rest of the day. Said plan starts off with browsing the stalls for anything that seems useful or interesting.
With a place with so many interested in magic, there must be something of note among them, he figures.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:24 pm »

Well... the lightish bow looked good enough, though she couldn't shake the feeling something was up with it. Oh well, she'd just throw it into the sea if it turned out to be cursed.
Buy the light wood bow

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 01:46:45 am »

Day 1 - Evening

Seawall

Recovering her will to help, Meyath realized she could possibly manipulate the air the man was breathing in order to reduce his pain. Proposing her idea to the old man, she said, "If you wish, I may be able to alleviate his pain with my magic, but the method is soporific, so he won't be good for much until it wears off."

The old man looked briefly at the man writhing in pain on the table and gave her a quick nod. Focusing hard, she took all of her emotions, her desire to help, her passion, and pushed all of that energy into manipulating the air entering the mans lungs. Inside Meyath was locked in a struggle to restrain her emotions and funnel them towards this action, though she appeared calm on the outside. Finally though, the man’s thrashing seemed to abate. He still was moaning in pain, and it seemed clear that the magic hadn’t been quite as effective as she had hoped it would be, but at least it had helped a little.

The doctor thanked her briefly before getting to work bandaging the sedated patient. Meyath helped steady his leg a little for this process, and noticed that the sounds of work had died off outside. Looking out, she saw the sun setting and knew she would need to find a place to sleep before long.

Aetharbor

Kassen absorbs all he can from the surroundings, as well as the passerby. He was eager to learn, especially of the secrets these God-men must hold. But for every prize, there is a trial. Star-Breaker's home was a place of trade. If you wanted water, you must first give a day of your service. If you wanted a blessing, you must hunt for the shamans. As such, Kassen wasn't about to just ask for answers. No, he must earn that right.

Once the elder God-man led him into the sanctuary, Kassen spoke up again in a faltering voice. "I give you work... sacrifice, and you give secrets of God. Yes?"

If one thing can be said about Kassen, it is that he was a good worker. Single-minded, he will pursue a task until it is completed, to the best of his ability. But whatever trial this God-man had in store was sure to be difficult.

Giving him a brief smile, the priest said “The outsider is revered in our tradition. He is brought by the waves, and the waves are brought by the Lord of Brine, so all in this great port are here because the Lord of Brine made it so. You did more, your feet took you here. Your effort in seeking us out recommends you to us even more than those who are brought by the sea. Come, help us with some small chores, and we will tell you a little of ourselves and others in this area.”

With that Kassen was brought to a small shack next to the sea, and was asked to carry buckets of saltwater back to the temple. As they made this trip several times the old man spoke to Kassen.

“We are followers of Thurn, God of the Seas and of the Light. We are an order of men who are influential in the laws of this port, and our order is respected by many, though few join it. Unless Thurn decrees a change in the running of the city, we stay here, north of the city, sorting through previous decrees so as best to follow our god, and worshiping him through individual prayer.”

“Influential in the military and medical communities are the followers of Isyeria, Goddess of Death and the Night, the Starry One. They place a high premium on virtue, honor, and loyalty, and have been known to perform healing miracles of both divine and magical natures. This has led to the formation of groups of warrior-healers, individuals who are greatly appreciated by other members of the guard and military.”

“The only other religion of note believed around these parts involves worship of many gods. Their most important deities are The God of Souls and Strength and the Goddess of the Sun and Prophecy. Members of their orders have been known to make public sacrifices. Other than that, I can only tell you that they are a secretive group, and do not respond well to outsiders asking about their beliefs.”

TsuJochi set off in the hopes of recruiting a couple of individuals from the port city before heading off to the caves. His attempts were met with limited success however. He approached people who seemed to have time to hear him out, but they were not as receptive as he might have hoped.

Twice he approached beggars, and he could feel in their minds that they just wanted a way out of their present condition. But before he could even get a sentence out about the opportunity he was hoping to offer them, they realized he wasn’t offering coin and he could feel their minds ignore his attempts.

Once he felt a man who had clearly been traumatized by pirates. He felt certain that this would be a perfect convert, but his mention of fighting pirates seemed to trigger a psychological effect. He felt the man grow fearful and angry, and the man started shouting and running around before a pair of guards restrained him. TsuJochi thought it best to flee that site.

Just as he felt as though it was hopeless, he caught a young man staring at him, and felt in his mind a yearning for adventure. TsuJochi approached him and began telling his tale. He told him of the pirate raids which have been repelled by strong men, like him, and how those men were recognized as great heroes. He relayed his own experience fighting pirates, and promised the young man that he could earn that reputation as well. Feeling hints of doubt creep into the man’s mind, TsuJochi quickly assured him that he could always come inland to see the other Wolfkin, and leave back down the river if the cause was unappealing. This tactic seemed to work well enough, and so TsuJochi set off back towards the docks with his new companion, Arno.

Iseaya

Looking at the two bows that she could afford, Sofia knew that something had to be wrong with the lighter of the two. But there was no denying that it felt to be of a higher quality. Even though the word curse was floating around in the back of her mind, she felt entirely confident that she would be able to overcome whatever issues were associated with the bow. Feeling daring and heroic even with this simple purchase, she passed the old man 80 copper coins in exchange for the old bow, a very simple leather quiver, and 10 arrows. She stepped out of the shop into streets darker than she had remembered. It looked like the sun would set soon.

Spirarbor

Nico decided to examine the market, with the hopes that something magic might be available amongst them. Realizing there were a few too many, he looked about for a way to determine which might be related to magic, when he noticed a couple familiar faces from that morning among the stalls on the north side of the town’s center. Going up to that cluster of stalls, he found three that looked very interesting to him.

The first had a collection of various books on topics related to magic from effective use of reagents to histories of different forms of magic. Of particular interest to him in this stall were Word and Rhythm: Using Chanting to Channel, On Animals in the Magical Sense, and Knowing: Effective Acquisitions of Knowledge of the Arcane

The second had small animals in cages. The owner of it was boasting how all mages needed companions and he had just the right offerings for them. His collection included a fairly large silver squirrel with bronze spots that appeared to be observing all taking place, an asp with mottled black and coral-colored scales and blue-violet eyes which seemed to perk up any time someone payed it attention, an old-looking parrot with brown feathers and yellow eyes which was constantly asking for sweet rolls, a cat with russet fur with light brown markings around the eyes and gold eyes which appeared to dance a little whenever people looked closely at it, and a small fox with bronze fur with copper-colored markings and grey eyes which seemed to hold a high intelligence which was constantly scratching at it’s cage and nipping at fingers.

The final stall of interest had various trinkets that it’s owner assured were of magical, if mysterious, nature. When pressed on the subject, he said that everyone who had ever used them agreed they were magical, but nobody could quite figure out what they did. He said the ones he’d be most willing to part with would be a necklace made of teeth and claws, a diadem that looked to be very shoddily made with a small quartz in the middle of it, or a telescope made of tarnished copper that seemed to make everything look cloudy and out of focus when you looked through it.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 02:07:25 am »

Go wait for my boat, test Arnos skills.
Caine's law.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:49 am »

" you know where I could find a place to sleep?"
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 09:18:06 am »

" you know where I could find a place to sleep?"
(Attitude: 2 +1 for recent actions) The doctor looked outside, and saw the sun setting,
"There's a barracks nearby. It's not the best place to stay, but I'm housing enough of their men and women here, they should have a spare bed for you."
My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »

"Thanks"

Follow the doctor's advice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8