Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71081 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #570 on: October 13, 2014, 12:54:20 pm »

Also, Carlos III hospital was mothballed and semidismantled in the ruling party's latest bout of healthcare privatization,

Privatizing healthcare? Why did they do that? Did they want to copy the USA healthcare system?

It could be that they don't have enough money to pay for it any more, at least without drowning in debt.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 13, 2014, 12:59:13 pm »

Also, Carlos III hospital was mothballed and semidismantled in the ruling party's latest bout of healthcare privatization,

Privatizing healthcare? Why did they do that? Did they want to copy the USA healthcare system?

... If you ask me, they want to provide new income sources to their friends. Their original plan involved dismantling several public hospitals (repurposing them as... other stuff, in general. For instance, they wanted to repurpose the Hospital La Princesa as a psycogeriatric internment center) and give the management of several others to private corporations (it's the worst of both worlds: The hospital and it's resources are paid by taxpayers, but there's an extra private middleman that is getting a cut).

The idea is that the private middleman gets an assignment of cash, and the hospital expenses come out of that, and is "supposed" to make the whole thing run more smoothly in order to get a bigger cut for itself out of that cash.

In practice it works badly. Those centers tend to try to game the system by referring more severe (expensive) patients to NHS-run hospitals (this is not exclusive of private hospitals. Internment centers and hospices do it as well).  Likewise they also tend to cut down the treatments they do offer. And despite all that their final statistics have shown that they're more expensive than the NHS-run centers. IMO it's all a scam on the taxpayers.

Then again, after seeing what has happened at my (public, NHS) run hospital, which has been all but crippled by several horrid management decisions. I think the NHS should remain public, and in goverment hands, but it's management structure must be rethinked throughly. As it is we're too vulnerable to political changes, which may lead to unqualified (disqualified?) people getting a lot of power (such as in my hospital), or political assholes simply gifting the whole pie to their cronies (as it happened in Madrid).

But this is all off-topic...

If anyone is curious, I could drone (elsewhere) on what the assholes in power did in my hospital in general, and my department in particular. It'd probably fit better in the rage thread, or somesuch  :P

It could be that they don't have enough money to pay for it any more, at least without drowning in debt.

Yet somehow we did have cash to burn in a stupid Madrid 2020 Olympics campaign (which busted, goes without saying), and several other expensive crazy projects all over the country (including, but not limited to, a major train station in the middle of the desert, and an airport with 0 air traffic). Funny, huh?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:03:40 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 14, 2014, 01:35:25 pm »

I don't think it's irrational for them to ask for a premium.

Asking for proper protection measures would be even higher in my list of priorities, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 14, 2014, 01:46:37 pm »

Doctors going on strike for money while an outbreak is at hand is highly immoral. You kinda just proved the point with your post, they aren't asking for extra protective measures. Just money. That's why the real doctors aren't listening to the greedy 'leaders'.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 14, 2014, 01:51:23 pm »

Doctors going on strike for money while an outbreak is at hand is highly immoral.

Didn't the doctors in Nigeria already pull the 'go on strike for money while an outbreak is at hand' not all that long ago? The Nigerian government squashed that pretty fast and I agree that it's highly immoral.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 14, 2014, 02:14:12 pm »

Doctors going on strike for money while an outbreak is at hand is highly immoral.

Didn't the doctors in Nigeria already pull the 'go on strike for money while an outbreak is at hand' not all that long ago? The Nigerian government squashed that pretty fast and I agree that it's highly immoral.

It's kind of... eh? On one hand, they ARE holding the country ransom in a time where this means a LOT of people will die, but on the other, I can understand why some of them would want a raise when they feel like they don't get paid enough even WITHOUT not only having to deal with a highly lethal outbreak and idiots wanting to kill them because of weird-ass conspiracy theories going around.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 14, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »

Not to mention wanting to get a premium for your loved ones in case you get ebola and die

... Then again, there is a reason why there are so few infected physicians, and why the people infected in the western world are nurses and/or auxiliary nurses. The latter have a much greater physical contact with the patients (and their waste), and thus are at a much higher risk of infection. So... if anything, they (nurses) should get a bigger bonus.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:13:42 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 14, 2014, 02:40:59 pm »

That money's really handy while you're dead from an exponential outbreak.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 14, 2014, 05:08:23 pm »

That money's really handy while you're dead from an exponential outbreak.

Dying from being foreclosed on THEN contracting the disease, or starving, or whatever is also a quite handy method of preventing dying of an outbreak.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 14, 2014, 05:14:14 pm »

I'll be sure to note all the medical workers going into foreclosure in Liberia right now once you can pull up that data. Then we can cross reference that to the exasperated deaths from situations where a coward doctor abandoned infectious people to loiter in neighborhoods to further infect people.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 14, 2014, 05:25:03 pm »

If infectees insist on loitering around neighbourhoods and you want to prevent this then you need extra security, more than anything

By the way it's pretty rich to talk about cowardice from your couch. Why don't you volunteer to  some  NGO as an auxiliary to go care for Ebola patients in, say, Liberia? I'm pretty sure they could use the aid, and you could learn the basics quickly enough. I mean, if a nun can learn to do it, surely you can too, right?

Aah, thought so.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:31:32 pm by ChairmanPoo »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 14, 2014, 05:28:50 pm »

I'll be sure to note all the medical workers going into foreclosure in Liberia right now once you can pull up that data. Then we can cross reference that to the exasperated deaths from situations where a coward doctor abandoned infectious people to loiter in neighborhoods to further infect people.

Hyperbole. Do you speak it?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 14, 2014, 08:54:44 pm »

Everybody calm down, please. I don't want a flamewar.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 15, 2014, 02:00:42 am »

http://rotter.net/forum/scoops1/146833.shtml

This is pretty funny. not to say Ebola isn't real, because it is, or that the health centers aren't full, because they are, but the New York Times were probably too scared to film an actual ebola patient, so they had to make one up. notice how the "Dad" walks away with money in his hand and how the "Patient" who couldn't even stretch his hand to drink water sits comfortably later on
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48