Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71144 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #420 on: October 04, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

There's a possibility that there's a case in New Jersey right now but I cant find a news link.
Looks like it's a false alarm.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-officials-meet-flight-passenger-shows-ebola-symptoms/story?id=25965383
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:25 pm »

Okay, now there is word that three elementary students may have had contact with one of those who are quarrantined. Now those people who were in contact with those kids will have to be quarrantined and the people who were in contact with those maybe, and I don't know how many levels of quarrantine precaution.

In any case, this whole thing was severely bungled.
Since ebola is not contagious until symptoms are shown, it is unnecessary to have ANY "layers of quarantine precaution." You quarantine exactly the people who were exposed to an already symptomatic ebola patient, and that's all you need to do...

That's precisely why ebola isn't that dangerous for outbreaks.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 04, 2014, 10:26:04 pm »

The thing is, though, they don't want to take any chances.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 05, 2014, 12:29:16 am »

If you're unsure if you believe somebody's testimony about whether they were in contact or not with a symptomatic person, then sure, be cautious and quarantine and test them.

But assuming you believe what people tell you -- which is pretty solid in the U.S. if you're dealing with a non-schizophrenic adult person, since almost everybody trusts doctors are the best place to get help for ebola -- then there's not really any chances you're taking. Save the resources for if/when people actually get sick, not on isolating people that have no vector.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #424 on: October 05, 2014, 12:29:42 am »

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2014, 12:35:42 am »

Quote from: Other headlines from the site
    4th African Ebola Victim Rises From Dead, Video Released
    Africa Confirms 3rd Ebola Victim Rises From the Dead, Releases Picture of First “Ebola Zombie” Captured
    Dallas Texas Ebola Haemorrhagic Fever is Airborne
    CONFIRMED: Obama is Infecting Christians with Ebola To Destroy Jesus and Start A New Age of Liberal Darkness
    Ebola Zombie Sickness Now Spreading Through Colorado

I think we can assume that this isn't serious.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2014, 12:36:29 am »

I stop taking anything seriously as soon as I see American in the name.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 05, 2014, 12:46:40 am »

Well I mean just to make sure nobody reading quickly doesn't get confused. You were posting it on multiple threads so quickly without giving context that I thought that you thought it was serious in some way until you said that just now.
It's FEF, not FEOF

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 05, 2014, 01:39:15 am »

The writing style tipped me off in the first sentence~

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #429 on: October 05, 2014, 01:42:46 am »

Well, it would probably be safer, overall, to just let me believe that Ebola zombies are going to murder everyone.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2014, 01:57:08 am »

How would that be safer~?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2014, 02:03:00 am »

Stop trying to apply logic to my assertions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2014, 04:26:02 am »

They only want to eat your brains, we can all coexist

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 05, 2014, 04:30:21 am »

If you're unsure if you believe somebody's testimony about whether they were in contact or not with a symptomatic person, then sure, be cautious and quarantine and test them.

But assuming you believe what people tell you -- which is pretty solid in the U.S. if you're dealing with a non-schizophrenic adult person, since almost everybody trusts doctors are the best place to get help for ebola -- then there's not really any chances you're taking. Save the resources for if/when people actually get sick, not on isolating people that have no vector.
Actually, if I recall correctly, doesn't the US have a fairly big problem of people not going to the doctor quickly because it's rather expensive.

So while you don't need layers of quarantine, it is only useless if you can immediately  isolate anyone from the moment their symptoms (and contagiousness) shows up.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 05, 2014, 04:52:54 am »

Well, it would probably be safer, overall, to just let me believe that Ebola zombies are going to murder everyone.

Zombies, at least as far as whenever viruses are mentioned, are completely unfeasible. And now you know.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 48