Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71229 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2014, 12:54:34 am »

Oh aye. Point I was making is that if the active deaths of literally hundreds of thousands of people isn't stopping air traffic, the active deaths of a few thousand with the potential for more (especially if, as noted, that potential is easily curtailed in more developed nations) almost certainly isn't.

Another factor might be that ebola is a relatively unknown disease compared to TB/Malaria, and scientists fear it might rapidly mutate to some more contagious form. Therefore these unknowns make ebola riskier in terms of containment compared to TB/Malaria.

Plus, malaria is transmitted by bugs that don't fly on planes, and TB has a well-known vaccine.
Also, malaria does not have a ~60% mortality rate. Anyway, Ebola had about 2,000 cases at the beginning of August and now it's 4,000. At this rate, it will be 20,000+ by the end of the year. It should also be noted that this outbreak has had more cases (and deaths) than every other ebola outbreak combined.

Edit: clarity
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:26:20 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2014, 01:57:26 am »

So what?  It's doing what all epidemics do in numbers / time. That does not change the fact that as of yet it is almost a complete non threat to America due to the circumstances of the disease and the very different facilities and culture.

It is a non-zero threat, yes. A couple Americans may end up dying before it's over. Maybe even several. And if you could prevent that by spending a couple million dollars, or several, they probably would. But cutting off trade to half a damn continent is not "a million dollars or two." It would be a hammer blow to the economy and end up killing way more people from slipping across the line into poverty, not being able to pay as many health benefits, foodstamps, etc.

If it does mutate into some crazy super contagious version or something, that will show up in Africa first (because the chance of the mutation is proportional to where the cases are), and THEN you might see borders close to them. But this is unnecessary in the meantime
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:00:39 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2014, 03:06:05 am »

Indeed, cutting trade with Africa now will cause widespread panic, and I dare to say it could topple the government in a few of the more unstable countries.

The deaths from civil unrest are more likely to kill more than the disease itself.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2014, 03:16:13 am »

I'm pretty sure this is just another swine-flu style scare.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 13, 2014, 03:31:42 am »

Swine flu doesn't have 70% mortality rate, though.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2014, 04:40:54 am »

High mortality means the disease is likely to eradicate itself.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2014, 04:42:27 am »

And along with that if I remember correctly swine flu was pretty infectious (not that ebola isn't, but I don't think it's quite the same).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2014, 04:55:19 am »

It would be considerably harder for Ebola than for any kind of flu to reach EU,US, etc undetected and spread far enough before discovery to make containment difficult. Dangerous enough to watch, but definitely not enough to panic or to close borders entirely.

It is an entirely different matter in the areas it currently is spreading in , which have poor infrastructure for dealing with Ebola. Which is why it is causing so many deaths there.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »

Swine flu = infectious, not very deadly (probably? more than regular flu, but not like national catastrophe levels)
Avian flu = deadly, not very infectious
ebola = deadly, not very infectious (also super obvious)

Don't let too many false alarms dull your senses though. Some day we will get another deadly AND infectious disease (like the Spanish flu) and need to be on our toes.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2014, 03:16:52 pm »

The fact is that not too many people have died of Ebola. IIRC the toll is about ~5000, ever. Compare that with, for instance, malaria, which kills around 2000 people every day (by the way, trivia: every Ebola alert in my country so far has turned out to be Malaria). Sure, it sucks to have Ebola, and it sucks to be a healthcare worker in contact with Ebola patients. But it's not a real, public health danger to be panicking about it, anymore than other rare, deadly diseases are.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2014, 03:19:33 pm »

Ebola also has a problem in that it mutates really fast, so it can in theory manage to become even more dangerous.

The good part is that Ebola gets utterly destroyed by UV light.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #296 on: September 14, 2014, 08:27:08 am »

ebola = deadly, SUPER infectious (also super obvious)
FTFY

It's just that by the time a guy's infectious, it's generally pretty obvious they have it, and thus people tend to try and avoid them. And it's a very short range transmission.

I may just be unscientific, but I tend to think that the very short range transmission makes it less infectious.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 14, 2014, 09:30:04 am »

FTFY

It's just that by the time a guy's infectious, it's generally pretty obvious they have it, and thus people tend to try and avoid them. And it's a very short range transmission.

I may just be unscientific, but I tend to think that the very short range transmission makes it less infectious.

Yeah, infectiousness is not just how easily the disease can overpower the immune system - that would make AIDS hands down the most infectious disease ever - but all the other factors that determine how easily a human could contract it - so things like being transmissible before symptoms start to show (big one) or method of transmission.

As far as diseases go, Ebola is a total scrub - it basically only infects once it's dramatically obvious the person is sick, is lethal as hell so it cannot use a host too long, it has a limited transmission range... LRN2VIRUS NUB.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 14, 2014, 03:58:32 pm »

FTFY

By very infectious, I mean actually successful at infecting people, which it isn't at all compared to other diseases.

Putting qualifiers on it like "Well if you don't happen to notice they're showing all the obvious symptoms, and assuming they have a motive to touch the person, then it is" isn't very meaningful, because it doesn't translate to actual national threat like simple overall success at infecting people.

In the actual population, it is still spreading immensely slower than other infectious diseases do, and would be much slower still in industrialized countries.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #299 on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »

Some amongst you may already be aware of the death cult that fostered between /pol/ and /x/ around ebola that went so occult for /x/ that their threads there started getting banned for being too occult and so birthed the /pox/ thread worshiping ebola chan. In short, they anthropomorphized ebola into a pink haired loli nurse who takes wing on bats and spreads ebola across the world in a loving way that would make nurgle jealous, and has transcended to become an egregore resulting in several people constructing shrines for her and sacrificing dirty underwear, blood and other bodily fluids in the hopes that their black magic spreads ebola and furthers the death cults' cause.
You can also see why I've refrained from posting about this until now, because I'm pretty certain they want me to talk about ebola chan so that she can grow stronger and become more well known. Unfortunately my efforts are in vain because reddit in their unimaginative foolishness have reposted the fuck out of ebola chan to the point where it's gaining popularity and cannot be stopped.
And then there's this thing.
English translation.

Tl;dr, ebola has a death cult now.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48