Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71096 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Ebolastone watch: Possible international outbreak
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »

It's a reference to the game Plague Inc. It is very hard to get a disease to spread to Madagascar in Plague Inc.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2014, 05:45:45 pm »

It's a reference to the game Plague Inc. It is very hard to get a disease to spread to Madagascar in Plague Inc.
Before plague inc it was pandemic.
Pandemic is the actual original reference, yeah. I heard Plague Inc. made it easier to get a disease to Madagascar. When I play Pandemic, I pretend I win even if Madagascar SHUTS DOWN EVERYTHING. And with New Zealand if it does too within the first week or so.

Either way, we all have to evacuate to Madagascar immediately.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2014, 04:35:25 am »

You're seriously being snobby about several year old browser game references?

...A completely shit-tastic browser game at that. I went and tried it out. Nothing made a scrap of sense. People stay infected forever somehow, microbes are telekinetic and can mutate simultaneously worldwide (wat), land borders are magical force fields by legal decree alone, doctors psychically know about infection rates of diseases with no symptoms (and care about them?), vaccines are 0% effective until they get the telepathic signal that everyone on Earth has one at which point they instantly become 100% effective, and you get evolution points by time passing instead of by infection numbers. (Gameplay also involves one linear valid strategy = boring + 90% luck = frustrating and boring)

It's almost like somebody set out with the express goal of making a game as unattractive as physically possible to an average dwarf fortress player.

It does sort of inspire me to consider making a not terrible version, though. Or if not a short story from disease perspective or something, so definitely glad I took the time to look into it for solely the core concept.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:55:35 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:42 am »

Internet memes are serious business.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2014, 05:46:36 am »

...A completely shit-tastic browser game at that. I went and tried it out. Nothing made a scrap of sense. People stay infected forever somehow, microbes are telekinetic and can mutate simultaneously worldwide (wat), land borders are magical force fields by legal decree alone, doctors psychically know about infection rates of diseases with no symptoms (and care about them?), vaccines are 0% effective until they get the telepathic signal that everyone on Earth has one at which point they instantly become 100% effective, and you get evolution points by time passing instead of by infection numbers. (Gameplay also involves one linear valid strategy = boring + 90% luck = frustrating and boring)

It's almost like somebody set out with the express goal of making a game as unattractive as physically possible to an average dwarf fortress player.

It does sort of inspire me to consider making a not terrible version, though. Or if not a short story from disease perspective or something, so definitely glad I took the time to look into it for solely the core concept.
It's an old flash game. If you compare it to a polished game it's pretty bad, sure, but by flash game standards it's a pretty good game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2014, 07:19:41 am »

If you're honestly going to go out of your way to prove you have either not lurked the internet long enough or lurked it since the dawn of internet just to understand rather well known historical references you're throwing yourself under the bus.

In other news:

Ebola sparks panic across Nigeria as citizens scramble for salt-water bath “remedy”

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2014, 09:28:33 am »

This is why Africa was conquered by Europeans.
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:31 am »

This is why Africa was conquered by Europeans.

You got the causality backwards.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2014, 11:25:41 am »

Europe conquered Africa for ebola salt?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2014, 11:48:39 am »

Yes, and it worked like a charm.  After all, how many cases of ebola were tracked in Europe during the Age of Imperialism? 

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »

Yes, and it worked like a charm.  After all, how many cases of ebola were tracked in Europe during the Age of Imperialism?

And how many were documented in Africa before? CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2014, 02:27:48 pm »

O RLY?
HOW MANY WERE DOCUMENTED IN JESUSLAND?
According to Christians: All of them.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »

O RLY?
HOW MANY WERE DOCUMENTED IN JESUSLAND?
According to Christians: All of them.

What are you guys going on about? Besides, ebola wasn't isolated until 1976 and the first recorded outbreak was in that year.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 48