Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: Bay12 Viralstone watch: Koreathred pls no bully  (Read 71022 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Yellowstone Volcano-watch
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:30 pm »

Can we build an underground fortress anyway?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »

Well, considering I am on what would be the windward side of the eruption plume, and right next door (next state eastward), if I see the deadly white snow, i'll be sure to post it, M'kay?
Careful not to breathe it it, volcanic ash becomes a concrete-like substance when exposed to moisture. Such as that on the inside of your lungs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 06:27:12 pm »

Only if it involves a high-budget movie that consists of Nic Cage being ridiculous. I mean I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but this thing has to happen.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 06:31:47 pm »

Only if it involves a high-budget movie that consists of Nic Cage being ridiculous. I mean I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but this thing has to happen.
Unfortunately none of us has that kind of influence

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »

Nor does any of us have that kind of affluence.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:25 pm »

If we're still gonna commit to the whole underground fortress idea, do we have 7 volunteers to scope out a location and embark on the task?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 07:49:24 pm »

Well, considering I am on what would be the windward side of the eruption plume, and right next door (next state eastward), if I see the deadly white snow, i'll be sure to post it, M'kay?
Careful not to breathe it it, volcanic ash becomes a concrete-like substance when exposed to moisture. Such as that on the inside of your lungs.
I thought volcanic ash just sliced the shit out of your insides if you inhaled. Tiny,Tiny particles would make mince meat out of your lungs.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:55 pm »

I thought volcanic ash just sliced the shit out of your insides if you inhaled. Tiny,Tiny particles would make mince meat out of your lungs.
It does, but the more pressing threat is it turning into concrete.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 08:43:35 pm »

Indeed. Volcanic ash contains many soluble metal oxide glasses, which react in contact with water. Calcium and magnesium salts, in combination with carbon dioxide, water, and sodium and potassium salts, specifically.

The human body has the last three in fairly high abundance, and the lungs are very permeable to ionic exchanges, meaning that inhalation of reactive calcium and magnesium silicate salts, would quickly cause both an ion pump emergency in the respiratory system, it would also form a hydrated mineral chunk very quickly, which would plug up all the alveoli in the lungs.  The fact that these salts form fine, needle like projections when rapidly expelled by hot gasses under high pressures, and that they are floating around in the air like little stiletto daggers, is only PART of their danger.

Personally though, I am a total shut-in, and always have my windows and doors closed. If there was a sudden rain of deadly white "Snow" raining down, and everyone going apeshit about it, I would stay inside, turn off all sources of air movement inside the house, and then put wet towels under all the doors and windowsills.  I would then wait for it to stop "Snowing", even if that takes weeks.  Knowing that the time could be protracted, immediately after putting the towels out, I would fill the bathtub, and anything else I could find, with tap water while it was still available.

Most likely though, given the short distances, and the immense energy such a caldera explosion would have, I would probably be killed by the overpressure wave long before any snow fell. 

So, it's probably moot anyway. :D

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:31 pm »

well at least its not a false vacuum metastability collapse, amirite?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 08:49:24 pm »

Indeed. Volcanic ash contains many soluble metal oxide glasses, which react in contact with water. Calcium and magnesium salts, in combination with carbon dioxide, water, and sodium and potassium salts, specifically.

The human body has the last three in fairly high abundance, and the lungs are very permeable to ionic exchanges, meaning that inhalation of reactive calcium and magnesium silicate salts, would quickly cause both an ion pump emergency in the respiratory system, it would also form a hydrated mineral chunk very quickly, which would plug up all the alveoli in the lungs.  The fact that these salts form fine, needle like projections when rapidly expelled by hot gasses under high pressures, and that they are floating around in the air like little stiletto daggers, is only PART of their danger.

Personally though, I am a total shut-in, and always have my windows and doors closed. If there was a sudden rain of deadly white "Snow" raining down, and everyone going apeshit about it, I would stay inside, turn off all sources of air movement inside the house, and then put wet towels under all the doors and windowsills.  I would then wait for it to stop "Snowing", even if that takes weeks.  Knowing that the time could be protracted, immediately after putting the towels out, I would fill the bathtub, and anything else I could find, with tap water while it was still available.

Most likely though, given the short distances, and the immense energy such a caldera explosion would have, I would probably be killed by the overpressure wave long before any snow fell. 

So, it's probably moot anyway. :D
And what are you going to do when your building collapses from the accumulated and heavy-as-fuck ash after three days or so?
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 09:12:43 pm »

If we're still gonna commit to the whole underground fortress idea, do we have 7 volunteers to scope out a location and embark on the task?

I think someone beat us to it.

That said, I volunteer to join the embark party as either the fortress' doctor or broker. At least some of the guys above will be sending caravans :D
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »

The internet tells me I am safely far away, free from immediate danger other then complete economic, ecological, agricultural, and social collapse.

Mostly fucked up weather patterns. And the fact that that ash simply doesn't go away. And the fact that a large percentage of the US population will die in a disaster no government on earth, perhaps not even the entire earth as a whole, is equipped to handle.

But in a short view, I'm fine, and I guess that's the most important. So, like everyone else, I am going to sit back and hope nothing happens, knowing I have absolutely no control over anything that happens.

I think someone beat us to it.

That said, I volunteer to join the embark party as either the fortress' doctor or broker. At least some of the guys above will be sending caravans :D
You guys give me a location and I can send over a caravan from here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »

There's even a word for it! Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 09:36:20 pm »

I thought the big threat with Yellowstone exploding/imploding/shit-happening was that it might set off the Ring of Fire around the Pacific, which would cause global problems. From the way you guys are talking, though, it sounds like Yellowstone alone is bad enough business. Is that the case?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48