Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: [OOC Thread] Kurchil's Children (Fantasy RP-RTD) [Waitlist Forming]  (Read 9721 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC Thread] Kurchil's Children (Fantasy RP-RTD) [Waitlist Forming]
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »

Should my actions be more general? I don't want to hold up the turns.

And yeah, I agree. I find charisma rolls kind of hinder the roleplaying process. That's why I usually add bonuses to good argument, negative modifiers to bad ones, and let the dice decide if the person is an asshole or not.
I've been enjoying reading your posts. And I don't think you're really holding up turns, it takes me a bit to write, and so I'm not even sure I'll be able to post it tonight.

As to the arguments thing, maybe I'll involve that in more complex dialogue, where there is a clear outcome besides information, and keep the rolling and modifiers based on arguments for convincing someone to actually do something for you. Also, is the back and forth during turns worth keeping?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 12:52:20 am »

I've been enjoying reading your posts. And I don't think you're really holding up turns, it takes me a bit to write, and so I'm not even sure I'll be able to post it tonight.

As to the arguments thing, maybe I'll involve that in more complex dialogue, where there is a clear outcome besides information, and keep the rolling and modifiers based on arguments for convincing someone to actually do something for you. Also, is the back and forth during turns worth keeping?

What back and forth, exactly?
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 01:23:08 am »

With Patrick's character and the captain and wolfchild's character and the workman, they both had dialogue in between actual updates. Your character did as well, with the beggar, but it only lasted one line each so it probably wasn't very noticeable. I'm trying to do it that way so that people get to speak for their own characters, as opposed to me doing it, while at the same time allowing for a conversation to be resolved in a single turn.

Also, if anyone is curious, the reason Silcugar rolling a three didn't result in any consequence other than basically incomprehensible speech, it's because that religion was randomly generated, and it has the characteristics of valuing kindness, and being welcoming towards strangers.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:24:56 am by Samarkand »
My Area

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:12 am »

With Patrick's character and the captain and wolfchild's character and the workman, they both had dialogue in between actual updates. Your character did as well, with the beggar, but it only lasted one line each so it probably wasn't very noticeable. I'm trying to do it that way so that people get to speak for their own characters, as opposed to me doing it, while at the same time allowing for a conversation to be resolved in a single turn.

I'd prefer to have as much control over my character as possible.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:33 am »

How am I doing on giving that to you?
My Area

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 02:06:51 am »

How am I doing on giving that to you?

While I understand your eagerness to DM and to get through turns, I'd like to be in control of my characters conversations, if possible. The more you put words in my character's mouth, the less he becomes mine. While in this instance no real harm was done, I think in future you may misinterpret my characters thought processes, and may end up putting him on a path that I don't like.

I understand if you want to do it if I haven't posted in a few days, but could you give me a little time to conclude my turn on my own?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2013, 08:54:30 am »

I understand if you want to do it if I haven't posted in a few days, but could you give me a little time to conclude my turn on my own?
So what precisely would you prefer I did differently? Are you speaking specifically about character speech, or am I overstepping my bounds in more general description? I'm more than willing to change many aspects of how I run the game, I just need specific feedback.

While I'm asking questions about what people want, are there any maps anyone would like me to make for this? I think geographic ones are easier than any sort of city map, but if you'd like me to move towards city maps I have an idea of what I want Spirarbor to look like. Also, I've decided any maps will have higher resolution than my first one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:35:57 am by Samarkand »
My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2013, 09:48:07 am »

Mines all good I think, I won't need anytill I'm back at seawall.

I do need to know what the effect of my enchant is though.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 09:52:03 am »

I do need to know what the effect of my enchant is though.
You didn't really specify an enchantment, and it was during another action, so I'm simply giving you a +1 to any roll you make this turn related to your magic use. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.
My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:08 am »

Oh ok, I did say the enchant was to enable me to feel what those I focus on are feeling. (( Empathy. )) No matter I'll use it later. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 10:27:06 am »

Oh ok, I did say the enchant was to enable me to feel what those I focus on are feeling. (( Empathy. )) No matter I'll use it later. ))
I think the confusion came from the fact that your action read:
While he talks Bekter tries to commune with Cadus again purely mentally.
I wasn't sure if you were going for the same enchantment, or what. If you can make actions more explicit I can do a better job of honoring your intent.
My Area

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013, 10:36:13 am »

Np I edited this turn.
Caine's law.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:44 pm »

Heard this recently and it made me think of Powder Miner's character confidently adventuring in a forest:
Sofia's Song of Adventure

It's just the section in the middle of this movement that really fits I think.
My Area

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 11:06:58 pm »

So what precisely would you prefer I did differently? Are you speaking specifically about character speech, or am I overstepping my bounds in more general description? I'm more than willing to change many aspects of how I run the game, I just need specific feedback.

I'd just like to do my side of the conversation, my character's speech. The general descriptions, those involving my character's actions, are fine. Though I'll try to write those out myself when possible.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2013, 11:33:35 pm »

I'd just like to do my side of the conversation, my character's speech. The general descriptions, those involving my character's actions, are fine. Though I'll try to write those out myself when possible.
Do you think I should copy and paste what you write into my descriptions of your character's turn? I will for all conversation, but I'm not sure what I should do for your descriptions preceding your actions. I think you're writing is really good, I'm just struggling with whether or not copying it would make reading your turn seem redundant.

I'm doing my best to base everything I write off of your detailed descriptions. I think for this turn (which will be posted soon) I'll try copying what you wrote into the turn, and we'll see how that feels.
My Area

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6