Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do we know what affects the kinds of statues a Dwarf will make?  (Read 2511 times)

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
Do we know what affects the kinds of statues a Dwarf will make?
« on: September 28, 2013, 07:00:08 pm »

I mean, obviously, they're more likely to make statues of people they know, the things they like or dislike, the gods they worship, and the founding of the bloody fortress. I'm specifically talking about when they make statues of historical events. Based purely on my own observations it seems that individual dwarves have preferences in this area as well and usually make statues of the same few events over and over.

I guess this all applies more broadly to engravings and even decorations and what have you, but I'm specifically interested in what influences the creation of metal statues (since I know different attributes influence different skills). I want to know what to look for in a good Metalcrafter besides the things the affect quality.

Even more specifically, I'd love to know what an adventurer might do to influence whether subsequent dwarves from his home will make statues of him. I know you can't go to the fortresses and brag directly because there are none, but maybe if you tell humans they'll broken telephone it along to the dwarves?

I must have golden idols to commemorate my magnificence. I AM CHARLEMAGNE, KING OF KINGS, LOOK ON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DISPAIR!

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Re: Do we know what affects the kinds of statues a Dwarf will make?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »

I know that a statue of something that a dwarf dislikes is placed inside of his or her room, it affects their happiness. Similarly, placing a statue of something they like inside of their room can give them happy thoughts.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:51 pm »

As far as I know, dwarves mostly make statues of historic events that occured in the area where they embarked. For example, if you embarked at the area called "The Hills of Vomit", and years ago some dwarf killed an elf there, you will get statues and engravings about that dwarf killing elf in the Hills of Vomit.
I once had fort on some little island in the middle of nowhere, and the only historic event in that area was some human necromancer travelled there, and I had statues and engravings of that necromancer f*cking everywhere in my fort.  >:(
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »

I recall someone saying the "soul" attributes of a dwarf have some effect on crafting.  So a dwarf with high memory might be more likely to create things from the past, and a dwarf with high social might be more likely to create things based on people they know.  The wiki states that dwarves are likely to base crafts off things or people they like.  These are hypotheticals, I've never tested it. 

I try to "farm" statues by queuing up a few, then melting down the ones that are not masterworks if they are not close to what I wanted.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 10:03:55 pm »

If a dwarf makes a statue of a deity, it will be one that the statue-maker worships. This can be used to get a statue made of each deity in your civilization's pantheon. This is typically done when building a "temple" statue garden room.

Statues are nice in that they are always a creature, historical figure, or other person. You might get a statue of someone admiring cheese, but you won't get pictures of cheese, squares, or your civilization's symbol.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 11:05:03 am »

It might also be affected by what the dwarf sees.
I know figurines aren't statues, but in my current fort they seemed to make figurines of the local wildlife, though it might be just coincidence.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:32:38 pm »

On a related question: I know that statues of vermin make for bad thoughts for people who hate that vermin...does it work the opposite way? If I have a dwarf who likes horses and he sees a statue of a horse, will he get an extra happy thought?

How does that interact with event statues?

If a statue is created to recount some dwarf's pet dog getting gutted by a kobold... would it register a happy thought to a dog-loving dwarf even though the dog in the statue scene is in the fetal position?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:47 pm »

If a dwarf makes a statue of a deity, it will be one that the statue-maker worships. This can be used to get a statue made of each deity in your civilization's pantheon. This is typically done when building a "temple" statue garden room.

Level of dedication also takes a role in it.

A dwarf that is a zealous worshiper of one god and casually worships others will make more statues of that first deity and less of the others. They also seem more inclined to crank out more intricate designs as well.