Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can Dwarven Wine Freeze?  (Read 2003 times)

VoidedWarranty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Dwarven Wine Freeze?
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:57:53 am »

So I was playing my 3rd fortress ever, winter of the 6th or 7th year, and I started to get messages about how one of my dorfs had died of thirst. I thought, huh, that's a bit odd, maybe he was stuck, but I found his corpse in the middle of the fort, bustling around with all the rest of my dorfs. I checked my stocks and production orders and I had over 60 drink with one set of 15 and one of 30 in the manager, waiting to be produced. My waters were frozen over and there was a giant olm in the caves so they couldn't get water from there, but I had enough drink to keep my dwarves alive, they just wouldn't drink it, leaving me with a half dead fortress of tantruming dwarves. Seeing how the winter wasn't yet over and given my lack of experience I abandoned after determining there was nothing I could do to make them drink, but I would like to know what went on then and how to avoid it for the future.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can Dwarven Wine Freeze?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:03:49 am »

I think milk can freeze. I suppose wine can do it too.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

VoidedWarranty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:05:35 am »

Any idea how to stop it?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:19 am »

Is your stockpile inside? I think inside should be warm.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

VoidedWarranty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:24:47 am »

It was, which is why I was so surprised to see "Urist McThirsty has died of thirst" in my anouncements.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:35:10 am »

Each barrel can only be used by one dwarf at any moment, so even if you have enough drinks a dwarf can die waiting for his turn at the barrel.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:48:18 am »

Only 60 drinks in your 7th year? No wonder they're dying. Tell the still the Brew Drink on repeat and only pay attention when you run out of barrels or plants. Even if they're drinking water, they won't survive without adequate alcohol, period.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:51:41 am »

Only 60 drinks in your 7th year? No wonder they're dying. Tell the still the Brew Drink on repeat and only pay attention when you run out of barrels or plants. Even if they're drinking water, they won't survive without adequate alcohol, period.

and to handle the 'repeat' kicking off from barrel/pot or 'distillable plant shortage go ahead and queue up several brew drink on repeat at the still
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:57:35 am »

and to handle the 'repeat' kicking off from barrel/pot or 'distillable plant shortage go ahead and queue up several brew drink on repeat at the still

Often, this results in every 'repeat' job being cancelled at once as the dwarf claims the same item he already has and realizes there still isn't any of the other. In this situation, your best bet is actually queuing up another heap of Brew jobs through the manager, then checking back when you've made more barrels or rock pots/gathered some plants successfully.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

VoidedWarranty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 12:08:53 pm »

Will do. Thanks for the advice!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 12:11:52 pm »

Alcohol freezes at 50U below the cold damage point of most dwarven tissues, and 150U below the freezing point of water. The game will not generate areas at this temperature unless you alter the temperature settings yourself.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »

Are you producing only wine/few other drinks? I believe that if a dwarf has become tired of drinking the same old booze for a while, they may stop drinking altogether.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 01:32:41 pm »

Are you producing only wine/few other drinks? I believe that if a dwarf has become tired of drinking the same old booze for a while, they may stop drinking altogether.

That's a myth, dwarfs will not kill themselves just to escape 'same old provisions' thoughts.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 03:33:15 pm »

That's a myth, dwarfs will not kill themselves just to escape 'same old provisions' thoughts.

You, Sir, just killed a little, precious, part of me.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 03:45:42 pm »

Are you playing the most recent version? I know in the older versions alcohol required water to make or something, and the freezing would muck things up (probably.)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/
Pages: [1] 2