Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - seeking new Master  (Read 30662 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's get personal: One on One Community Fortress
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:47 am »

I think the two most profitable are mine and the innkeepers jobs. Cause everyone needs a bed and everyone needs food and everyone needs booze. It would be interesting if we did have a "village theif" and then accuse who stole what. I won't be steal because black smithing is an honest job and nobody would screw with me because I just throw swords at them  8)
You have a pretty good monopoly. If people are unhappy with your services, they'll be hard pressed (at first, at least) to get another smith because the startup costs are so high.
The inn, on the other hand, has to compete with the bed and breakfast and the fortress labor force. People can start farming in groups and skillessly make their own beds, if the time would be cheaper than the inn's rates.

If you guys want to do secret stuff, PM me (and each other). No-one but me will be watching the game live, so thievery etc. are entirely possible. If someone is in the area or wandering around the fort, they'll have a chance to see your actions.

A note for the dwarven economy: As in 40d, lack of money will not prevent a dwarf from eating and drinking. They will continue to eat and drink the cheapest non-private items available, though their account can go negative.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »

I think if I get people to work for me, I could become one of the more successful organizations.

Also, as for trade caravans, can we send in out requests for them? I'd like some flux stone and iron bars. I'll send out swords for export on trade goods for fuel, ores, bars and meltable products (iron boats, etc)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »

Until there are nobles or otherwise appointed management dwarves, everyone will have full say in trade requests and the like. There usually aren't nobles by the time of the first caravan, so it'll just be up to whoever's negotiating (potentially yourself!) to honor your request.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2013, 12:10:46 pm »

Until there are nobles or otherwise appointed management dwarves, everyone will have full say in trade requests and the like. There usually aren't nobles by the time of the first caravan, so it'll just be up to whoever's negotiating (potentially yourself!) to honor your request.

I nominate the village idiot to become broker. After all, he can do all trades, even tohugh he wont master anything.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

alrevis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

So what would my job/wage be? Or am I funded or provided free items given the nature of my work is for the good of us all...and I would take up any jobs required at my work from smithing to crossbow making to make the fort ready now skill is another issue though

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:46 pm »

So what would my job/wage be? Or am I funded or provided free items given the nature of my work is for the good of us all...and I would take up any jobs required at my work from smithing to crossbow making to make the fort ready now skill is another issue though

I actually think he SHOULD be paid most, but I think many would underpay him because hes an idiot. Mostly because he'd never know.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2013, 12:25:31 pm »

Shoot, I also forgot to ask for the embark site: MAKE SURE WE HAVE IRON AND FLUX STONE! I don't want to be restricted from having Steel

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »

Military dwarves aren't paid for their military service; they get free food, bed, and equipment while in the military. Food comes from whatever the fortress collective has, and the barracks will have the beds. For now, military leaders will have direct access to fortress wealth for commissioning equipment - for example, highmax will be paid for every sword he gives to the military, even though that money isn't coming from anyone's accounts.
At some point, someone will take charge of the fortress funds. Maybe the bookkeeper, or maybe a full-time broker, or maybe someone else entirely. It's only partially my decision.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »

Military dwarves aren't paid for their military service; they get free food, bed, and equipment while in the military. Food comes from whatever the fortress collective has, and the barracks will have the beds. For now, military leaders will have direct access to fortress wealth for commissioning equipment - for example, highmax will be paid for every sword he gives to the military, even though that money isn't coming from anyone's accounts.
At some point, someone will take charge of the fortress funds. Maybe the bookkeeper, or maybe a full-time broker, or maybe someone else entirely. It's only partially my decision.

Ok, then we get one guy who runs the "bank" whos bookkeeper and broker. He;d be like the mafia and loan sharks :P

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2013, 01:24:19 pm »

We already have a bookkeeper signed up (in the wait list). Still waiting on word back whether they'll want to be in charge of the money or not.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »

The name should have a ", " included in it, so that if the last name is... Ashokistaminy for instance, her name becomes "That bitch, Ashokistaminy".

Spirallances sounds like my kind of dwarf!  She'll buddy up to him and see if romance happens.  A tavern keeper would be very useful for her B&B patrons! 

"Spirey, you solid hunk of a dwarf, how about you and I set up a little place together?  You brew and I'll bake, and we'll make a fortune off of keeping dwarves well fed, well rested and well entertained!" 

I don't really see a competition with Highmax or the swords-master either.  Any establishment needs a security force, like the bouncers for instance (Baffler? You interested?) or externally, the Guards of the Watch.  I imagine if the fruity swords-master wants to set up his dojo adjacent to the Inn/B&B (if Spirallances approves the "merger" at least), we could supply hospital services to his trainees in return for protection from threats external to the fortress.  Highmax's delvings (smoothed out of course), would provide our Tavern/B&B with the properly ore speckled hallways around which could grow our rooms and such - no need to dig passages when mine shafts already abound!

However, the above-ground gardens should probably be walled in.  She'd be willing to trade food and drink to someone with masonry skills for blocks, tables, chairs and is willing to provide room and board for one year to the person that is willing to dig a cistern/install a well sooner rather than later. A well/cistern situated within a room just off the common room, of course - call it "The bath-house".  I suppose the various dining areas could branch off of a hallway leading from the bath-house, so everyone could refresh themselves and get cleaned up before they went to supper.  Any dwarf wanting to use the The bath-house would need to pay a small door fee, of course...

open air "koi ponds" leading off the cistern into "meditation rooms" might be something to add later on, after the caverns have been breached. This way, a series of gently descending waterfalls and quiet pools would eventually empty out into the caverns to provide a nice mist to whatever workers/warriors needed to be down there.  The meditation rooms would each have a nice statue (no forgotten beasts or nightmare creatures!) and a chair in them, next to the still ponds and waterfall - places to quietly sit and meditate and get away from the bustle of life for awhile. (Too bad there aren't any massage dwarves...)

Incidentally, these little meditation rooms might also start spawning fish, which would then be featured on the tavern/B&B menu soon after...

A thought about currency:  How about setting things up in "display cases" as forms of verifiable comparative wealth? That way, people could also go into their "treasury" and get good thoughts from looking at how well they're doing.

I can see Highmax supplying the dojo with weapons/armours, but with all that digging and smithing, he's gonna want to eat and sleep somewhere too. 

"Highmax, if you'll excavate 3x4 rooms branching out of the main shaft as you harvest your ores, I'll keep yer belly filled with hot meals and cool beers.  So long as you fill my belly, I'll fill yours."

Temple patrons always want to eat something after going through services.  A couple of private dining areas dedicated to the various deities (via appropriate statues at the head of the table) is something that could be set up for the various religious types who want to commune with their deities away from the common rooms.

Also, she'll be offering to carve bone bolts once she has all the rest of her gear made/traded for.  It'll be side business with the hunters as a form of useful currency and may eventually become the "small change" of the fortress.

Embark requests in order of priority:
   Aquifer: no.
   Ocean yes.
   Sand/dirt: yes.
   Trees: yes.
   Temperate/Tropical biome
Doh! Too late! Nevermind
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:05:37 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2013, 02:48:00 pm »

Teyo Asada! I don't know what that means. But that's the world name.
(I'm using img.ie for all image uploads unless someone has issue with it.)

Fortress location! Cliff elevation is between 4 and 7. Seems like a pretty good place.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

I'll gladly dig out some rooms as I dig out ores. AS i said, I'll help dig out the fortress as I search. Doesn't mean I go until theres enough, but when the jobs done and theres not enough ores, then dig for more.

As for embark, a temperate conifer is my preference, but anything with iron and flux would be great with no aquifer. Ocean would be debatable however...

As for masonry rocks, I can give out anything thats not flux or ores for dirt cheap... Literally... I'll make each rock about .5 dorfbucks or less, depending. I;m also thinking about keeping a set of masterwork stuff for myself so I can protect myself if enemies or thieves come to steal my stuff. As for B&B and the Inn, I may alternate each one so I don't give the impression I favor one over the other (cant favor one customer over another).

Also, as I said, the forges will be located UNDER everything as to not disturb the patrons with my hammerbeats, but sill provide toastiness from the ground for warmth. I may even think about making more then just armor once the demand drops. Statues of solid gold? Coffers out of platinum? I can do it once demand goes down, but I will never stop producing swords. Because everyone wants a better sword. ;D

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One on One Community Fortress (Live)
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2013, 03:10:42 pm »

That bitch's initial workshops will be above ground, but she'll eventually want to get the shops below ground with the butcher's under a flue (open to the air above to prevent rot).
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
Re: One on One Community Fortress (Live)
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2013, 03:22:19 pm »

Since everyone else seems to have an industry, Fruity decides he'll build his craftsdwarf's workshop right off the bat and start churning out some "crafts" as the miner digs out the fortress. It gives him some material to work with early on. After about two months of making figurines useful for trading with some cute guys merchants that come along. It can even be used for the REALLY cute guys elves, since they're made of stone and all.

Overall, I want the shift to be like this:
2 months of crafting
2 months of training

Consecutively, and throughout the year, just like that. owo
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27