Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - seeking new Master  (Read 30224 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Let's get personal: One on One Community Fortress
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2013, 04:03:27 am »

Lectorog:

I'd like to claim the first available carpenter/mechanic that turns up - whichever skill is present, turn on the other, and also woodcutting. Even better if s/he a high level of intuition.  Same name as my forum name.

Chop down a heap of trees, build a hut above ground from the wood, say 10x10 internal space, wooden floorboards in the interior, except for a 2x2 staircase going up to the first floor, located in a corner, try to use only one type of wood for all construction.  Ground floor has carpenter's and mechanics workshops, (set the workshops so only s/he has access to them), remaining space is 75% wood stockpile, 25% rock.  1st floor has a small 5x5 bedroom with a bed; weapon rack; armour stand; cabinet; and door, all made of wood and all masterwork, only install them when the masterworks start arriving.  The rest of the space is to be a wood stockpile.
     Once enough beds have been churned out for the fortress and s/he has her/his own masterwork bed etc, cue up 10 cages, 10 mechanisms and build a ring around his home, repeat until the ring of defences is at least five deep, (≈ 300 cage-traps, so it will take a long time).
     I'd also like a 6x6 area underground to be dug out, and dedicated to an animal stockpile, but not empty cage traps.  There will be an abattoir eventually, but I'll design that when required.
     Roof also made of wood.

Locate near the inn, if the innkeeper does not object.  Otherwise near a butcher, who will have plenty of work when the abattoir is up and running.

My apologies for the sketchy details, let me know if you need more info :P
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:50 am »

I think we need to get all mafia up in here dwarven mafia throwing !!pig tail fiber socks!! At all the other stores hmmmmm got pay up
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2013, 07:57:50 am »

Will this be a Lets play where we post in character? Because this is the first LP i've ever been a part of.
You can post in character, give commands to your dwarf, set up a big plan from the beginning, whatever. As long as it's clear what your dwarf will be doing, you're free to do whatever seems the most fun.

Darkening Kaos, your character has been accepted. It's detailed well; you'll just have to figure out where your food and drink come from, but who knows what that situation will be by the time the migrants arrive.

And for currency you can actually mint gold coins you know and and silver etc
And then you need someone minting the coins and someone mining the ore etc. etc. Capitalism is hard work.
40d had a Dwarven Economy. Each dwarf had an account linked to their profile; doing jobs gave them money; the money is spent on rent for their bedroom, food, and buying items and pets. This didn't require physical currency to be created, and coins were actually recommended against because it involves so much hauling.
Two options, then, are mimicking the 40d economy, keeping manual tally and assigning values to jobs and objects; or using a bartering system, with goods not automatically going to the fortress collective.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2013, 08:27:18 am »

I'd go for a mock economy. That way, once we have an appraiser broker, we can keep track of all out assests. Because masterwork stuff gets expensive
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

C0nfusedHaberdasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:37 am »

What kind of times will you be playing? What time zone? I'm in Australia and its 9:30 PM here so it might be a problem for me to post.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2013, 08:35:42 am »

Mine will be delayed also. Night classes annoy me

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:11 am »

I'm in US Central Time, and I'll be mostly playing in the late afternoon and evening. It won't be live or anything, I'll just make posts on progress. And if any conflicts come up, I'll pause for the dwarf's input. So you can just pop in whenever's convenient for you.

C0nfusedHaberdasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2013, 08:56:08 am »

Sounds good :D. Looking forward to the fun.

Tehsapper

• Bay Watcher
  • Why, MrMayor? Whatever do you mean by "slade bed"?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 09:34:41 am »

Tehsapper, you'll have a lot of down time. Do you want to spend all of that time around your shrine, or will you want to do other things (ex. combat training, collecting deity-related materials)? And do you want to make and enhance the shrine yourself, or have someone else do it?

Well, I need to carve out a 5x5 circular shrine in stone for now, and then make the required statue. Then I'll train up my combat skills to proficient levels, as his next long-term goal would be becoming the Master of Arts (reaching legendary levels in fighting, striking, kicking and dodging. Maybe biting too). I think that going on "1 month of studying (combat training), 1 month of other useful activities (there are fields to be farmed, probable enhancements of the shrine)" plan would be the best idea.

I think I'll convince or intimidate others to do stuff that I can't do (mining), but things like smoothing or engraving, and most importantly - making the right statue - I'll do on myself.

C0nfusedHaberdasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:40 am »

I agree with highmax, a mock economy would probably be less busywork to maintain. Especially since we'd need a decent bookkeeper to know for sure who owns how many of what.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:48 am »

It seems like it would be nigh impossible to keep track of a mock economy once we get more than a few Dwarves. I'm guessing currency will be minted, but actual ownership of it will be abstracted? That will take some serious RL bookkeeping.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2013, 10:34:57 am »

Maybe if we know our own currency numbers, it would help make it easier on the... Fortress master? I don't know what to call him :S

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2013, 11:21:52 am »

I don't know what to call me either. Something will come about!

Barter and accounts will be about equally as messy. Accounts require less in-game hauling, bartering requires less out-of-game record keeping. I'm fine with both, and there's no reason one has to be used exclusively. It looks like we'll be going with the accounts at first, with no minted currency.

Objects have dwarfbuck value. IIRC, you can't see this value until you get a bookkeeper; if that's the case, you'll have to assign your own values at first. You can assign your own values for trade at any time, but the actual value will be known to all dwarves.

Until the fortress gets noble leaders, I'll decide the wage for each community job - producing items for the collective fortress, rather than your own collection or a specific person. It'll probably be something like half of the combined value of the items you produce. Laborers (non-contracted miners, carpenters, and masons) will get about the same for the same amount of time working.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2013, 11:37:22 am »

I think the two most profitable are mine and the innkeepers jobs. Cause everyone needs a bed and everyone needs food and everyone needs booze. It would be interesting if we did have a "village theif" and then accuse who stole what. I won't be steal because black smithing is an honest job and nobody would screw with me because I just throw swords at them  8)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2013, 11:44:01 am »

An armed loner who takes whatever work is available, on the other hand...

He would never do it of course, that would run counter to his objectives. But he would be one of the first targets for scrutiny because of his inherent sketchiness.

It seems my dwarf will not be the wealthiest either. Maybe he should have a small room he digs out himself, even deeper than the magma forges, instead of the pricey inn rates. Unless some special deal could be made. Maybe he could be a bouncer...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27