Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - seeking new Master  (Read 31262 times)

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
Re: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - wait list always open
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2013, 05:52:35 pm »

LOOK IF IT MAKES TOU HAPPY WE'LL EAT ELVES HUMANS TOO ITS JUST MUCH CHEAPER THAN ACTUAL MEAT
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »

Okay, let's show you what map you're dealing with.
Here's a zoomed-out full map, centered on the wagon.
Here's the same map with important things labeled:
- the blue is the stream. It's in that general area.
- the orange are the biggest flat spaces. The slope's pretty gradual, so they aren't that big. They're labeled in order from the ground - 1 is the lowest and 4 is the highest.

I think you'll start off just carving down and to the right until you reach stone, then start the complex structure (so it can be fully smoothed/engraved). This means the farms will be in higher ground than the common rooms and kitchens, but that shouldn't be a problem. And reasonably long staircases to the gardens sound more dwarfy than having a fortress just below the surface.

EDIT: There are also lots of ponds. The Hermit will probably live near one in the northwest.

EDIT2: I like how your only problem with cannibalism is its association with elves.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:59:48 pm by Lectorog »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »

LOOK IF IT MAKES TOU HAPPY WE'LL EAT ELVES HUMANS TOO ITS JUST MUCH CHEAPER THAN ACTUAL MEAT

Look, just get a crap ton of cage traps, tame whatever comes in, and then slaughter the poor bugger. We get knowledge on training and meat! And leather for mr huntress. You may have to buy it from the trap guy though (who was that again?)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2013, 06:07:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My plan:
Dig out the inn/B&B to how they want it. This above all else. All gems and ores in a stockpile outside that is labeled for only myself until I get situated. Rocks can be dumped or whatever.

Dig in the square there and dig down towards where the inn/B&B will be, 7 z-levels below their "cellar". I want a 20x20 area for the main forges. I want another room 15x15 for stockpiles for ores and wood. Then another room for 15x15 connected for finished goods (mostly swords, 75% of remaining for armor, rest for everything else people request). Then dig out a 5x5 room for a dining hall and study and bedroom (that I'll want engraved later and paid to the innkeeper/B&B alternatively). Then dig out a room that's 7x7 for food that is for food/booze.

Lastly, dig the service tunnels to the inn/B&B. And then stay underground for as long as I can. Take one month to train with my best made gear; preferably in Opal (or the last month of the year). Rest of the time pump out as much gear as I can muster. If I need ores, and mr miner isn't in yet, then dig out more. If i'm out of charcoal, talk to the woodcutter for trade. If i'm missing charcoal from the initial, offer gems. Give a gem to each innkeeper for initial pay

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2013, 06:09:47 pm »

Okay, let's show you what map you're dealing with.
Here's a zoomed-out full map, centered on the wagon.
Here's the same map with important things labeled:
- the blue is the stream. It's in that general area.
- the orange are the biggest flat spaces. The slope's pretty gradual, so they aren't that big. They're labeled in order from the ground - 1 is the lowest and 4 is the highest.

I think you'll start off just carving down and to the right until you reach stone, then start the complex structure (so it can be fully smoothed/engraved). This means the farms will be in higher ground than the common rooms and kitchens, but that shouldn't be a problem. And reasonably long staircases to the gardens sound more dwarfy than having a fortress just below the surface.

EDIT: There are also lots of ponds. The Hermit will probably live near one in the northwest.

EDIT2: I like how your only problem with cannibalism is its association with elves.

Elves are tree fondling hippie cannibals. They refuse to eat little fuzzy creatures so their source of meat is themselves and any sentient being. They also go on a religious zeal when someone cuts down a tree in their face.

EDIT:

ALSO: When the service tunnels to the Inn/B&B, have the mason put a door on the main tunnel. Lock it and keep it tightly locked. I don't want goblin thieves coming aftter me. I'll draw up a floor plan in CAD for my forges and screenshot it in a bit
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:11:37 pm by highmax28 »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2013, 06:27:02 pm »

Spirallances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTOHl9nD6B0

Should we then offer barbering services at the Trading Depot?

Best part is that anybody comes looking for "missing persons", we have a ready made scapegoat in the Hermit, who is already a paranoid type, so people trying to angrily beat down his door will only validate his worldview.  Call it a "neighborly service".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:30:41 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2013, 06:30:27 pm »

All gems and ores in a stockpile outside that is labeled for only myself until I get situated. Rocks can be dumped or whatever.
Is that possible in a neater way than assigning every dwarf to burrows, and only you are allowed in the pile as a burrow?

When the service tunnels to the Inn/B&B, have the mason put a door on the main tunnel.
The main tunnel leading from the outside to the hospitality complex? But then travelers couldn't come in!

EDIT: There's a vein of gold right next to the wagon. And there's stone on the surface level in the cliff - no need to dig down. Pretty lucky so far.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:36:40 pm by Lectorog »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - wait list always open (Live)
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2013, 06:39:48 pm »

The doors to the resort can remain open, so long as we have a series of sentry creatures set up to watch for thieves and the like.  We could set up "kitten trees" (kittens on pillars), that eventually will spawn whole families of cats, ready to be harvested by any migrant vagabonds caught outside the fortress when the gates are shut.  By merely knocking over a pillar and using that block/log to construct a butchery, kitten tree harvests can feed dozens for days.  Besides, the catsplosion from a megabeast knocking over the pillar also buys any resort worker cought outside plenty of time to scarper away from danger, and cause any invading types to expend their bolts against a freely renewable resource instead of hapless dwarves. 

Cheap, efficient and multiply useful - plant a grove of kitten trees today!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »

All gems and ores in a stockpile outside that is labeled for only myself until I get situated. Rocks can be dumped or whatever.
Is that possible in a neater way than assigning every dwarf to burrows, and only you are allowed in the pile as a burrow?

When the service tunnels to the Inn/B&B, have the mason put a door on the main tunnel.
The main tunnel leading from the outside to the hospitality complex? But then travelers couldn't come in!

MY main tunnel as listed. Only way in should be from the Inn/B&B Cellar. That way, people think the Inn/B&B are making the goods, when the secret is: theres a creepy guy living in THEIR basement.

And behold! My floor plan!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright, heres a quick legend:

- White is smoothed out forge room. It doesn't have to be smoothed out immediately, but eventually. No engravings.
- Green is the smelter
- Red is the forge (VERY important!)
- Teal/Cyan is the wood burner
- Pink is the finished stockpile for arms/armor (in the big room) and assorted wanted crap (bottom)
- Orange is the bedroom/study/dining hall
- Yellow is the food/booze stockpiles (bought from the famous B&B and Inns!)
- Blue is the ore stockpile
- Yellow/Gold Arrow is the main tunnel that will have a locked door at the other end. Think of it as the secret escape hatch/flanking passage.
- Lime Greenish Arrow is the tunnels that will diverge into the B&B and the Inn respectively.

EDIT: Place an armor rack in the forge room (big white one) and make a smaller size armory/barracks that only I will use for that 1 month of training.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:43:35 pm by highmax28 »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2013, 06:44:44 pm »

That kitten tree idea is glorious. I've forgotten the design for sentry towers, so you'll need to provide some later on if Silverbrow doesn't.

Those schematics look good, highmax. I will get on it after the hospitality complex. Meaning you will get on it.

The Hermit just became the expedition leader.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2013, 06:48:40 pm »

So the guy who doesn't want to even look at us all becomes leader? Wonderful... And don't forget to let Mr. Innkeeper 1 and 2 to have their two cents in on the designs. After all, they're the ones who're paying me to do this (indirectly of course)

All rocks dug out are up for grabs btw ;D

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »

Mr. and Ms. Inkeeper. Though, as the Ms. indicates, they are not married.

I forbade 30 of the PH seeds, thinking The Hermit would take the 20 unforbidden ones and the bag. But he took them all. Not sure how to get them separated. Might just have to have the main fortress take one season's worth from the hermit and plant them.

EDIT: Map confirmed for having wild boars. No bears sighted yet.
Spirallances has been adopted by a cat.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:11:06 pm by Lectorog »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:52 pm »

I'd situate the outdoor gardens in flat area #2, so the top part of the resort should begin in the first stone layers below that.  Figure the 3-z lvl Tavern area, (with the hospital and youth hostel towards the main entrance and the cisterns the same level as the river, to give them a gravity feed of fresh water, then the guest bedrooms reaching up towards the gardens (so long as there is rock to carve them, otherwise any sand or dirt levels above those should be cleared in 10 x 10 underground plots off of the upward stair.)

A note: That Bitch really dislikes purely vertical up/down stairways, which she calls "damn ladders", so the stairs will need to ascend/descend diagonally like:

\_
     \_
        \

in a line or a spiral around a center column.

Figure a stack of 4-6 store-rooms per level for nine levels with hallways framing them and stair wells reaching down to Highmax's Forge on the 10th level - that should give you the rough dimensions of what I'm imagining.  The main entrance should be a 3-wide way leading to the trading Depot via a twisting route, with a more direct 1-wide way leading there as well (and filled with cage traps).  I prefer to set up a "neverending hallway" in front of the cage trap area to discourage unworthy prey from entering.  (never-ending hallway is a 1 x 10 bridge over a channel triggered by a pressure plate at its inner edge.  The channel leads to a another bridged channel at right angles to the first, that is also triggered by a pressure plate at it's end, but also ascends to the outside for pathing purposes.  The second channel passage leads back to the begining of the first channel passage, with subsequent attempts to escape stymied by successive activations of that pressure plate and the bridge attached to it, resulting in a succession of being dumped into the third passage over and over as everyone rushes to get out of the second one.  Since this is all happening away from the first passage, fortress dwarves don't become frightened of all those baddies under the bridge until a few finally vault the bridge before it opens once more and escape off the map.  These few worthy fellows will then be able to vault the initial trap bridge next time and be captured in the cage traps, ready to be taken down to the gladiatorial arena for the amusement of the guests.

Unfortunately, any dwarves caught in the neverending hallway will probably be rent limb from limb by the various beasties and baddies down there before they can make it across the bridges and out the other side.  It's one of the dangers of the design, so it's a good idea to forbid that path to any fort dweller, making them use the longer caravan road instead.

Kitten trees are simplicity itself to "plant".

Step 1: build a 1x1 wall surrounded by empty space
Step 2: build a ramp next to the wall
Step 3: designate a "pen" on top of the pillar and assign 1 female cat to it
Step 4: Wait until cat is placed in that pen
Step 5: remove the ramp
Step 6: remove the pen designation

There you go: Kitten tree is planted and ready to grow.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:25:12 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2013, 07:19:40 pm »

I think somewhere between 3 and 2, close to my matenence tunnel should be the "trade area" which will have an area for caravans that is safe from thieves and bridged away from the rest of the area. That way I can bring things to the depot once I open my door or the haulers can use it as an express hall to my goods. We'd have the depot setup near the center and goods brought there.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2013, 07:22:29 pm »

Highmax, do you want to go after the gold or focus on finding iron ores first? We just struck another vein of gold.

The horse and camel have been slaughtered.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27