Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - seeking new Master  (Read 31167 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: One on One Community Fortress: Tonguebanners - wait list always open
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2013, 11:53:54 pm »

I suppose ill take position of the captain of guard nobleman or military leader since im basicly doing that already

So thieves have something to fear if your sheriff... Whoot!
MY SILVER HAMMER OF JUSTICE ALSO i have a long term project of a gladiator pit...with the giants and things we will capture we throw them in a pit and any captives we catch like goblins fight to the death against them OR a 20 tile drop to rock pit to execute prisoners

Can we have weapon traps at the bottom with nothing but swords that butcher them into small bite sized chunks?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

alrevis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2013, 12:07:23 am »

I suppose ill take position of the captain of guard nobleman or military leader since im basicly doing that already

MY SILVER HAMMER OF JUSTICE ALSO i have a long term project of a gladiator pit...with the giants and things we will capture we throw them in a pit and any captives we catch like goblins fight to the death against them OR a 20 tile drop to rock pit to execute prisoners

Can we have weapon traps at the bottom with nothing but swords that butcher them into small bite sized chunks?
I....i havent thought of that....BRILLIANT

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2013, 12:10:08 am »

I....i havent thought of that....BRILLIANT

See? You can NEVER have enough swords! Only issue is clogging, so a matenence hatch should be made to clean the bones from the machines

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:39 am »

"The Gilded Coin" is OK, but I was thinking about maybe making the name deterministic instead.  Build a statue and stick it on a wall between a couple doors on either side of it into the main entrance to the "hospitality complex".  Whatever that statue is, becomes the sign of the place and it's name.  I figure there should be an "entrance hall" with an "exercise room" (training area) just off to one side where Baffler and any other security staff (as well as patrons with a mind to do so), can train up their various martial skills while on guard duty.

The "entrance hall" would then lead into the common room and Tavern proper, with the brewery and kitchen behind those and to one side, while the guest rooms are up a level and to the other side (so no-one's sleep is disturbed by the common room's revelries.

Getting a service tunnel into Highmax's forge area should be no problem, so long as it passes through a furniture or goods stockpile room first.  It's only logical that any craftsdwarves and other suppliers come in through service entrances. (And have their own rooms away from the guest quarters.)

The low/no cost dorm could be a youth hostel area on the other side of the exercise room.  Of course, any of the hospitality staff would get their own rooms assigned to them next to the kitchens, hospital or gardens, depending on what capacity they were hired for.  The hospital area should be situated 1 z-level above the hostel, so that the cistern can be situated 1 z-level below the hostel, giving both a source of clean water via wells placed one above the other.  The private dining halls would let off of the common room behind the kitchens/breweries, while the storage areas, employees living quarters, storage rooms and Highmax's Access Tunnel/s would be under the kitchens and breweries.  I'd suggest a secondary well and cistern not directly connected with the Hostel/Hospital one to be situated directly after the common area, (the Bath-house I spoke of before), that then opens up into passages leading to the various private party rooms dedicated to the various deities, (and possibly down to the viewing galleries of Highmax's Arena), so that patrons using this will not have to be disgusted by the filth from the newly arrived vagabonds, nor the hospital nastiness from cleaning patients' wounds.

instead of a maintenance hatch, just sweep the floor with a rush of water from time to time - some wall grates a tile or two downstream from the flood hatches should catch any goblinite for later retrieval by hauler gangs.

The same method could be used to quickly clear the arena after any survivors have been recaptured or put out of their misery.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:05:15 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:06 am »

I like this guy and his ideas...

C0nfusedHaberdasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2013, 11:04:29 am »

I don't suppose survivors could be used to train the acolytes how to use their weapons?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »

So, to be clear:
Will there be one B&B/inn, not two separate ones? That bitch, and Spirallances will be involved in the same "hospitality complex"?
Will the building(s) be above ground or carved out of the hills or dug down to?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

I think two people wanted buildings above ground. I'm going deep underground myself until we get magma, in which case I will be even deeper. But I don't want that to happen for a loooooooong time.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2013, 02:27:56 pm »

I seem to be rapidly becoming a part of some kind of heavily armed bed and breakfast task force, who answer only to a dwarf known to one and all as "That Bitch." I approve of this.

If I will be training during my time at the hospitality complex, the two months of training beforehand are not necessary. He can just work as a guard for six months, and render any services needed during the rest of the year.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »

I like I immagibe it has like bars on the windows and graffiti on the side an baffler standing out side with a artifact sword and as far as he inn name ill have to see if we make any kind if interesting statues
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »

It sounds like the entire fortress will be structured around this one inn/B&B, with tunnels branching off of it. Except the hermit, off by himself.

Which means that when Silverbrow arrives, it's going to be a true fortress inn, with defensive structures and all.

And the fortress governance is structured around working harder for directly better food and quarters.

Interesting.

I learned how burrows work, so keeping people within their designated jobs shouldn't be too hard.
I actually have free time coming up on my schedule, hooray!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:30 pm »

The way I see it, the initial set of rooms will quite dwarfishly be situated underground, but that the above-ground walled gardens will eventually be surrounded by inward-facing employee housing and a cafeteria for the gardeners working those fields.  Those people will probably have food hauling turned off to maximize their growing efficiency - I see "Lenny's boys" being the janitorial/hauling workforce.  Heck, Lenny might even become the de-facto head of the local labour union and therefore be eventually elected "Mayor", just from being around since the place got started and being able to talk to both the working stiffs as well as "the management".

As we start attracting nobles, those will be our "paying guests".  We'll know that the "Hospitality complex" (Aka "resort"), is a success when the king/queen and their court arrive, filling the place to the brim with paying guests.  Before that happens, however, we should find out how many nobles there are in the King's entourage. (One game popped my population up from 200-ish to over 500 because of all the nobles that arrived with the King.  Every other minute, a new mandate would pop out or someone would get all butt-hurt because they didn't have this or that, or a lesser noble had more than they did.  Tantrum spirals killed that fort quickly thereafter.) So we should plan on expanding aggressively for a few years to make sure that we have the extra room and resources to take care of a bunch of nobles all at once.

Also, in the Tavern, I'd suggest sets of four tables with chairs around them like a wheel:

0##
  ##0

And making each set of tables like this a 6 x 6 dining room whose edges overlap similar dining rooms.  That way, more dwarves will set up parties around tables at the same time, which is closer to the "Tavern" experience.  If you can get the bar structured like a long, thin room, (say by building a wall, designating the room dimensions then deconstructing the wall), then we can designate a chair on the bartender side of the bar to be Spirallancer's chair, he can sit back there tending the bar when he's not busy brewing fresh drinks in the back.

Something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still, lets not put the cart before the horse - lets just make sure everyone's got what they need and have a room like a personal palace to sleep in, so that any misfortunes along the way won't cause one of us to spoil it for the rest.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:15:19 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2013, 05:27:01 pm »

That sounds like a plan. Then theres the strange childish forge lord in the deep basement that only a select few know of, and those are his business partners.

Can I have it that I don't actually leave my forges, meaning I sleep/eat down there? It'd be like:

"Where are all the swords and Armor coming from?"

"Legend says theres an insane blacksmith that thinks hes seven who has trained all his life at perfecting his art. No one has seen him, but few know he exists"

It'd be hilarious if I went topsoil one day just to help fend off a siege and then everyone goes:

"Wait, we're one dwarf extra... WHO IS THIS GUY!??!?!?!"

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »

Wow I like how this was a normal fort then "that bitch" and I showed up and turned it into a resort also I want a pool nuf said also I like to immagibe that we don't actually grow out own good we just deep under ground have a place called "the workshop" where we just cut up all the dead dwarves and serve t to the paying coustomers and the only people who know about it is me "that bitch" and the guy who runs it who I immagibe is Lenny wow how did I get that out of high maxes post wow there are 2 types of people on the planet
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2013, 05:50:53 pm »

I just wanted the whole idea of being a myth amongst the others, but noooooo, you had to take it too far! Now we're elves!? Come on! We can do better then cannibalism!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27