Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Spiders? Spiders.  (Read 13819 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Spiders? Spiders.
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 05:29:11 pm »

Whatever you do, don't kill them. They're like wasps in that regard, killing them will only attract more spiders.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It doesn't matter how true it is, so long as it convinces people to not kill spiders.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2013, 11:50:55 pm »

Well, my tarantula passed away a few weeks ago, but I'm over it now. It's kind of funny that her old skins outlasted her.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »

It's ok if I leave this here, right?

I find spiders fairly fascinating creatures. Hmmm, but then again, I guess I find pretty much anything related to nature fascinating.
I might get around to own a tarantula some day.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 10:41:39 pm »

PTW

Spiders = Kawaii~

Every time I see spider and kawaii I remember this:
I'm not too fond of spiders, but jumping spiders would be my favourite.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 11:40:11 pm »

Somebody try that with that spider from LOTR or Aragog from Harry Potter, I dare you. 
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 12:55:45 am »

...A..spider thread. Ahh.

PTW...

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 01:07:52 am »

...A..spider thread. Ahh.

PTW...
Beware, somebody has a tarantula avatar now. It's not particularly scary, but it might be a bit of a shock if it catches you off-guard.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 01:17:39 am »

Somebody try that with that spider from LOTR or Aragog from Harry Potter, I dare you.
Fun fact: if you watch the special features disk on the making of LOTR (specifically, the third one), it goes in detail about their design process for Shelob. They first decided to just take a normal spider, and scale it up. Problem was, when they scaled up the spiders, they kept looking too cute and unmenacing. They eventually ended up mashing together features from a variety of species, simply making up some anatomical features, and then adding on a highly asymmetric nasty fungus-infection sort of look in the facial region. http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/0/0b/Shelob%27s_face.jpg

Oh and, Shelob was only part spider. The other part was Ungoliant, who was some kind of nebulously defined evil spirit in a spider-like form; and also one of the more badass of the evil characters in The Silmarillion. Having quite literally devoured most of the world's light, and nearly devouring Sauron's demigod boss long before Sauron was even a player in the world.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 01:21:44 am »

Fun fact: if you watch the special features disk on the making of LOTR (specifically, the third one), it goes in detail about their design process for Shelob. They first decided to just take a normal spider, and scale it up. Problem was, when they scaled up the spiders, they kept looking too cute and unmenacing.
All jumping spiders are cuter than web spinners in my personal observations.
I mean really. How they move? Erratic, yet steady. Calculative,

Oh and, Shelob was only part spider. The other part was Ungoliant, who was some kind of nebulously defined evil spirit in a spider-like form; and also one of the more badass of the evil characters in The Silmarillion. Having quite literally devoured most of the world's light, and nearly devouring Sauron's demigod boss long before Sauron was even a player in the world.
If only we saw Ungoliant... :(

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 01:24:46 am »

Spider thread needs more pictures of spiders.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 01:35:32 am »

What about adorable videos?
Pet jumping spider getting cozy in palm of owner's hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PChVe4DxM8Q

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 01:48:04 am »

Fun fact: if you watch the special features disk on the making of LOTR (specifically, the third one), it goes in detail about their design process for Shelob. They first decided to just take a normal spider, and scale it up. Problem was, when they scaled up the spiders, they kept looking too cute and unmenacing. They eventually ended up mashing together features from a variety of species, simply making up some anatomical features, and then adding on a highly asymmetric nasty fungus-infection sort of look in the facial region. http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/0/0b/Shelob%27s_face.jpg

Ah, I recall her. Drinking the sap of the Trees themselves was a pretty impressive feat - though Shelob's only her descendant, hence why she can be killed by badass fat hobbits while Ungoliant had to be driven off by an army of Balrogs.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 02:05:36 am »

What about adorable videos?
Pet jumping spider getting cozy in palm of owner's hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PChVe4DxM8Q

oaoawoawoawoaowoa so cute :D :D

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 05:13:23 am »

Ah, I recall her. Drinking the sap of the Trees themselves was a pretty impressive feat - though Shelob's only her descendant, hence why she can be killed by badass fat hobbits while Ungoliant had to be driven off by an army of Balrogs.
And now I'm off to locate more info about Ungoliant since she sounds fucking awesome.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 01:21:31 pm »

Speaking of giant spiders, I'm working on a LEGO model of a spider which is approximately Shelob's size in real life. So I'm wondering, in the interest of scientific accuracy, are there jumping spiders that have functional spinnerets as well?

Also, am I the only person here who finds Shelob less scary-looking than that supposedly adorable jumping spider in that video?

EDIT:
I may just have overestimated Shelob's size significantly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:27:18 pm by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10