Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for feedback on defense concept: Release the Hounds  (Read 2086 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for feedback on defense concept: Release the Hounds
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 07:53:05 am »

Prepare to have your animal trainer go totally depressed insane from having all the dogs he's watched grow die en masse when the goblin siegers engage them in chaotic combat.

I was going to say that "what on earth are you going on about with animal trainer bonds", but I checked the wiki, and apparently ok, animal trainers can sometimes bond with their animals. On the other hand, I've never really noticed this, it definitely doesn't happen often, if ever, with war-training dogs or tame creatures bought from elves (and their offspring), and I can't remember any animal trainers going crazy because of it (and you don't have to have just one animal trainer for all the animals, anyway). So don't worry about it. And in case I'm wrong, then that just means more FUN for you ;)

P.S. Cave or saltwater crocodiles are amazing for this use (alligators are ok, but they're smaller and lay less eggs). They lay massive clutches of eggs (in vanilla: 20-60 for cave crocs, 20-70 for saltwater crocs), which means with a bit of trickery you could breed hundreds of the things, far overshooting the normal limits on animal populations (they stop breeding once you have 50), assuming egg fertilization is determined when they're laid, not when they would hatch. Also, cave crocs are 10 times and saltwater crocs more than 13 times as big as an average dwarf, when fully grown. To clarify, you could have several females lay eggs simultaneously while you're still under 50 crocs/alligators. If you can get e.g. 20 simultaneous-enough clutches (you could have 48 females and 1 male when starting the attempt), that would mean at least 400 baby crocs :D. Even if the limit is applied on hatching, not on egg-laying, you could still get over a 100 crocs, by collecting smaller clutches before they hatch.
P.P.S. Since with childcap and the 50-animals-stop-breeding limits, existing pregnancies are carried to term, it would be more uniform, if egg fertilization was determined when the egg was laid. So yea, crocsplosion could be a thing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:01:10 am by Snaake »
Pages: 1 [2]