Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarf vs Forgotten Beast with a fortification.  (Read 718 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf vs Forgotten Beast with a fortification.
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:01 am »

According to the wiki, only elite crossbowmen/bowmen etc can shoot through a fortification when they are not standing adjacent to it.
How does this translate to Forgotten Beasts with ranged attacks? (Fireballs, breath weapons, web shooting etc)

Say I have a setup like this:

F=Fortification
B=Forgotten Beast
~=Floor 1 z-level lower than the surrounding fortifications
M=Marksdwarf

FFFFFFFFFF
F~~~~~~F
F~~~~~~F
F~~~B~~FM
FFFFFFFFFF

Assuming the FB cannot fly, it has no way of being "adjacent" to the fortification. Can it still launch its ranged attacks at the Marksdwarf? Or will the fortification rule prevent it from using ranged attacks allowing the marksdwarf to get free shots at it?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf vs Forgotten Beast with a fortification.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 11:25:04 am »

I haven't had experience with fire breathing FBs (at least ones that didn't die instantly) while using my archery platforms yet, but I've used them to kill most FBs, although it seems like they fall under a hail of bolts before they can even get within range to use breath weapons, OR they are usually distracted by the animals I use as bait to lure said FBs I usually have them 2 or 3 levels above the cavern floor to keep them out of range of breath weapons.

The web spitting FBs don't seem to be able to shoot anywhere other than directly horizontially and while gas/vapor breathing FBs are still able to use the breath attacks, the archery platform is generally high enough to be out of range of the attack.

Seems like the FBs attention is usually focused on the bait and so they don't attack the marksdwarves.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:13 am »

But say you have a vapor-breath FB and no bait, they WILL still launch vapor attacks at the marksdwarves if the FB sees them as the most pressing threat?

flecha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »

Your dwarfs will be burned, just make a save, backup, and give it a try, finally have fun :)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 02:41:28 am »

Your dwarfs will be burned, just make a save, backup, and give it a try, finally have fun :)

FTFY