Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Few Questions From an Enthusiastic-Though-Very-Confused New Player  (Read 1749 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Questions From an Enthusiastic-Though-Very-Confused New Player
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 05:01:58 am »

silver bolts are as deadly as other metal bolts. There was some science a while ago on what was a better material for bolts. I forgot which one was better, but  against goblins or other regular enemies the difference is small enough to ignore. Just don't use candy for it.

Silver spiked balls are very good trap components
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 05:52:53 am »

Silver bolts are slightly better than bolts of any other metal.

DocHarley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 07:04:01 am »

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I'll invest a little more heavily in cage traps and make sure I have at least one dwarf, possibly two with the relevant animal-handling labor enabled. I managed to embark with only female animals, so getting some breeding pairs of watch animals or tasty animals should probably be my next food-related priority. If the taming/slaughter cycle is as economical as suggested, I should be okay enough to prepare lavish meals for my dwarves and trade.

I'll also wall off the caves, buy any iron and nickel I can afford when the caravans arrive, and just keep cranking out crafts. As for the idlers, I think my next step is to start turning off hauling and cleaning on my crafters, miners, and woodcutters.

Thanks again for all the great advice!  :)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 07:12:34 am »

Pro Tip (or at least what I do) when building walls to seal off the cavern, is to start on the bottom z-level first, and do the corners.

o.,.o
.xxx.
,xxx.
o..,o

Then finish the walls.
╔═══╗
║xxx║
║xxx║
╚═══╝

And repeat with next z-level up. This prevents dwarfs from not getting the corners. Starting at the bottom prevents them from sealing themselves and getting stuck and dying of dehydration.
Pages: 1 [2]