Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question about mandates  (Read 518 times)

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question about mandates
« on: January 18, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

Just wondering if anyone may know but if a noble makes a mandate on certain material types- admantine for example- if that means there is the possibility of finding it on site. One of my nobles has just forbade the export of admantine and well there isn't any. Just seems a bit odd.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about mandates
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

I've been wondering this myself, though not about the adamantine.  My mayor keeps mandating large cut gems.  I have plenty of SMALL gems, but I don't seem to be having any luck finding enough large ones to suit him.  Does this mean that there are actually large gems scattered around still, or should I just make ready to drown him next time he asks?  :)
Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

To Sofaspud : i'm not a hundred percent sure on this but i think all gems have the potential to become large gems, in my opinion, it only depends if the gem cutter is skilled or not, it will happen more or less often

I've found a large clutter of rough smoky opals (or whatever their name was), and cut them all in my Jeweler's Workshop : i ended up with 2 Large Smoky Opals and a big bunch of regular Smoky Opals

For the opening post, if the nobles mandates are anything like the fey dwarves demands, then i think i remember reading somewhere they won't ever ask for something you would not be able to produce, ie, they won't ask for glass if your map has no sand at all.. but they may ask for adamantine even if you haven't found it yet, just as long as you've mined deep enough to reach the Z-level the adamantine is on

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

Nobles appear to make mandates relating to things they "like".
They don't have any magic clairvoyance about whether the item is possible given your local resources.

For example, my mayor just asked for crystal glass items. I saved and checked with reveal.exe and there is not a single square of rock crystal on my map.

I've asked the human guild rep to bring us rock crystals next year... we'll see how that works.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

Sofaspud:  if you have sand on the map, start producing raw green glass in bulk.  This can be cut by jewelers to skill up and large glass gems do satisfy the "large gem" mandate from nobles.  You may want to make secondary glass furnaces that are dedicated to sand collection so that you don't have to interrupt your glassmaker.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!