Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: VoidExpanse - Open World, Top Down, Space RPG  (Read 30116 times)

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
VoidExpanse - Open World, Top Down, Space RPG
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:02:01 am »

Note: Topic content is modified to remove outdated stuff.

It is not exactly similar to DF, but is certainly as old school as it gets for this kind of games.

Genres
open world (sandbox), top down, space, RPG, exploration

Some screenshots of work in progress:

Character creation:

Animated ship controlls demo:

And a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-ldcZIMc8?rel=0

About the game
VoidExpanse is a space themed open world top down action RPG. The player takes the role of a spaceship pilot, and may explore vast expanses of space, engage in space combat and military missions, trade with NPC and space stations, mine asteroids, undertake various types of quests and generally do whatever he wants as the game is completely open ended. The game also has a very strong central story similar to The Elder Scrolls or Gothic series.
The game can also be modded by using custom scripting interface. It has complete multiplayer support and is cross-platform compatible.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:37:14 pm by Boggard »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: VoidExpanse - Open World, Top Down, Space RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:33:50 am »

I could really use a link. This game is surprisingly hard to find.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:43:39 am »

I could really use a link. This game is surprisingly hard to find.
Well, okay, but please don't bash me for advertising :)
The link is http://atomictorch.com/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:58:14 am by Boggard »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:49:45 am »

You are quite obviously not a spam bot at this point, so anyone who bashes you is out of line at this point, :P
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 04:57:47 am »

People don't really mind you pimping games as long as you make a decent post. So, this plays kinda like SPAZ or Transcendence?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:56 am »

You are quite obviously not a spam bot at this point, so anyone who bashes you is out of line at this point, :P
That's good :)

People don't really mind you pimping games as long as you make a decent post. So, this plays kinda like SPAZ or Transcendence?
Well, I would say it is more like Diablo 2 in space + old elite.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:37 am »

Well, this look surprisingly interesting, in fact. I will definitely watch it's development - probably without much talking, but my eyes are sharp. ;)

(Yes, PTW. But, well, I like to put more than three letters per post.)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:03 am »

Reminds me a bit (quite al ot actually) of Flatspace 1-2... i wasted some time on that game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway an elitesque game in a 2d world is not a bad design decision in my book with not too much competition.

From i can tell from the screenshots the current ships are mostly fighters/frigates with larger space stations scattered around the universe.
Are there any plans of adding capital ships (carriers cruisers ETC.).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:39:31 am »

While I'm typically not one for space games, this one does - mostly due to the echoes of several other games styles being there - have my attention.

While I have little to add at the moment, a quick poke about your site while I was searching for information on the game, its progress, how/if it would be priced etc, had me stumble across the following on the Projects page.

"VoidExpanse™ is our fist project, it is a Sci-Fi Open-World Top-down Action RPG set in space."

The site mentions that you'll have a lot of customisation of your character - does this encompass the ship you use, too, with your character upgrades translating to improvements to the ship itself, or will you have access to ship customisation seperately?
If the latter, just how much potential for customisation will you be given within the game, towards the ship?
At a glance everything appears to be pre-rendered, will your ship change visually to mirror upgrades or damage?

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:31 am »

PTW and I like to put more than 3 letters in my posts too

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:07 am »

While I have little to add at the moment, a quick poke about your site while I was searching for information on the game, its progress, how/if it would be priced etc, had me stumble across the following on the Projects page.

"VoidExpanse™ is our fist project, it is a Sci-Fi Open-World Top-down Action RPG set in space."
Maybe it's their way of saying that they're pulling no punches for this project?

I'm interested in what becomes of this game, because it looks to be quite similar to Space Rangers, at least in principle. Hopefully you'll be able to pull off a dynamic living universe as well as that game did.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 12:02:13 pm »

This reminds me very much of Flatspace as well. Ah, the memories.

Anyway, I'll try to keep an eye out for this one.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 12:09:23 pm »

Looks like a stripped down version of Transcendence.

I was actually searching for some other stuff and then found this forum and it seems there are a lot of discussions about other games here.

I will not be posting any links because I don't want this post to be treated as an ad. I am genuinely interested what you think.

You're advertising your game.

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:48:26 pm »

Well, this look surprisingly interesting, in fact. I will definitely watch it's development - probably without much talking, but my eyes are sharp. ;)
Okay :)
We are working on a new website now, so there will certainly be some more interesting news in the coming weeks.

Drawing any inspiration for this from Escape Velocity? It's about time the concept had a visit.
Several people had already drawn this comparison. But none of us actually played it :)
But judging from screenshots and LP's on YouTube it does seem somewhat similar. At least in some aspects.

Reminds me a bit (quite al ot actually) of Flatspace 1-2... i wasted some time on that game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyway an elitesque game in a 2d world is not a bad design decision in my book with not too much competition.
Well, that is the idea. I really like space games, but most of them are unplayable exactly because of 3d space. You are basically fighting with controls rather than enemies, especially with some indie projects. So, we decided to make a more focused game. That is, all of the features typical for this genre + features of rpg games + our ideas and put that into a nice 2d world.

From i can tell from the screenshots the current ships are mostly fighters/frigates with larger space stations scattered around the universe.
Are there any plans of adding capital ships (carriers cruisers ETC.).
That is our decisions NOT to add big ships. Because it would shift the focus from original idea. I will draw an analogy, imagine you are playing Diablo 2 and then suddenly instead of playing one guy you are given an army, and you just clear all locations with millions of soldiers... It wouldn't make much sense would it? So, similarly here, we want you to play as a normal guy with a normal ship, otherwise it would be a completely different game. BUT it doesn't mean that there won't be capital ships. There will be for certain, at least for enemies!

While I'm typically not one for space games, this one does - mostly due to the echoes of several other games styles being there - have my attention.
No wonder, we are trying to make it as old school as it gets, while still making huge efforts to make it accessible to new players as well. Usability is among top priorities for us too :)

The site mentions that you'll have a lot of customisation of your character - does this encompass the ship you use, too, with your character upgrades translating to improvements to the ship itself, or will you have access to ship customisation seperately?
If the latter, just how much potential for customisation will you be given within the game, towards the ship?
At a glance everything appears to be pre-rendered, will your ship change visually to mirror upgrades or damage?
Both ship and the character fully customizable.
For ship: you can equip any parts such as engine, shields, modules, etc. Upgrade all that equipment, etc.
For character: customize the looks first of all, but more importantly you get EXP for progressing in the game and you can acquire skills from a skill tree similar to Diablo 2. There will be 4 pages of skills, total of around 70 different skills.
And did I mention you can modd all of this? Everything in the game is moddable.

I'm interested in what becomes of this game, because it looks to be quite similar to Space Rangers, at least in principle. Hopefully you'll be able to pull off a dynamic living universe as well as that game did.
This is one of our significant inspirations :) I love this game!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:50:09 pm by Boggard »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:44 pm »

Well, okay, but please don't bash me for advertising here because I am not.
Just to be clear: we're not mad, but you are advertising, and not posting a link is even more annoying if you weren't advertising then if you were.

But anyway: this looks interesting.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8