Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: VoidExpanse - Open World, Top Down, Space RPG  (Read 30094 times)

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: VoidExpanse - Open World, Top Down, Space RPG
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 11:23:03 pm »

I updated the first post to include link to alpha test application thread just in case, because it looks like my previous post is buried on another page already :)

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 05:35:06 am »

Very quick update about sound: http://atomictorch.com/Post/Id39

And we are still giving away alpha access to the game! :)
You can get it here: http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=21.0

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:04 pm »

Status report from developers: http://atomictorch.com/Post/Id42

And some nice screenshots from current version:

Also we plan to start early access pretty soon. Any comments before we do?

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 03:21:38 am »

Finally, first gameplay video. Not professional, but it should give a basic idea of what is already completed in the alpha and what this game is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIa4f09UAck?rel=0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:24:38 pm by Boggard »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 05:11:47 am »

Also we plan to start early access pretty soon. Any comments before we do?

Hurry up?  ;)

Also, I find these games generally don't allow you to zoom out enough. Give us plenty of room to see! I know it is complicated, but a smarter camera that doesn't show empty space behind us would be awesome. If there is a ship nearby, sure, default to the character in the middle of the screen, but if we are charging towards the last enemy, all that behind us is just wasted.

Your color scheme also seems a bit weird to me, but I have never been good at picking colors. Particularly the part with the red and yellow on the blue background (ship equipment screen maybe?)

Finally, mod tools and less bugs are generally preferred for alpha projects in my opinion. I think that is part of what got Kerbal off the ground.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:15:33 am by Fikes »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 07:16:23 am »

I'm looking at this project from time to time and wow its beginning to look like a game.
Personally like doing civilian things in space games for some reason (that would make me a prime candidate for a miner in EVE) and i'm interested in asteroid mining.
Ok so there won't be any capital ships but what about mining barges and frigates/corvettes?
Do ships have a cargo capacity?
Will there be a dynamic economy?
Will some (possibly larger) ships be able to carry a squad of fighter/mining drones?
Skills that affect mining/trading?
Crafting?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:24:27 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 11:31:18 am »

I too also love mining in spess gaems like these.

Looks really awesome.  Dunno about playtesting, but I'd probably toss money at it when you lot release it.

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 05:54:03 am »

Hurry up?  ;)
Okay, I have to agree that's a good thing to say :)

Also, I find these games generally don't allow you to zoom out enough. Give us plenty of room to see! I know it is complicated, but a smarter camera that doesn't show empty space behind us would be awesome. If there is a ship nearby, sure, default to the character in the middle of the screen, but if we are charging towards the last enemy, all that behind us is just wasted.
Actually you can change the zoom level yourself in the game. In the video the zoom level is around the middle. Also the position of your ship changes dynamically depensing on where you point your mouse. It's works very nicely.

Finally, mod tools and less bugs are generally preferred for alpha projects in my opinion. I think that is part of what got Kerbal off the ground.
Yup, modding will be possible from day one. Actually it is possible even now, before the game is released.
Just head to our wiki: http://wiki.atomictorch.com/index.php?title=Main_Page there is some info on modding already.
As for buggines - at least for us it works flawlessly. But we will certainly encounter some bugs when people start playing. We will dedicate ourselves to fixing it ASAP for sure :)

Personally like doing civilian things in space games for some reason (that would make me a prime candidate for a miner in EVE) and i'm interested in asteroid mining.
Then you are just like me :) That's what I did in EVE too. Rest assured that civilian stuff is going to be big in this game! Mining for example is already quite complex with how the mining devices work, but we plan a complete overhaul with even more features once we are done with more pressing things.

Ok so there won't be any capital ships but what about mining barges and frigates/corvettes?
Do ships have a cargo capacity?
There is already a cargo ship that can be used quite effectively for mining, but it only has two utility slots. So, not perfect.
But there is also an engineering ship with higher number of utility slots, but small cargo space. So you can mine the ore, then jettison it, and then come back and pick it up with the cargo ship. Or you can mine with your friend. He will be hauling your ore for you :) Later we will add more ships specialized for different tasks.
Actually here is the cargo ship that I mentioned: http://atomictorch.com/Post/Id43 as you can see it has two device slots that can be outfitted with mining modules.

Will there be a dynamic economy?
Not in the early access for sure, but it is one of the planned features.

Will some (possibly larger) ships be able to carry a squad of fighter/mining drones?
We plan to have different drones that you will be able to put in your ship, but not for early access.

Skills that affect mining/trading?
Already there. A whole skill tree specifically for mining. You can mine using civilian miner device, but if you really want to get serious results you can advance down that path and get access to even more miner oriented stuff such as advanced mining modules and boosters. Example of one miner skill is the ability to see contents of the asteroids you are mining which would be really helpful for dedicated miners.

Crafting?
Planned, but won't be available in early access. We will most likely add it during beta phase.
Additionally to crafting we will have upgrade system where each item in the game will be upgradable to make it better in some areas. Basically you will be able to fine tune a particular piece of equipment to better suit your play style.

Looks really awesome.  Dunno about playtesting, but I'd probably toss money at it when you lot release it.
Thanks! :) That would really help us, indeed. We don't want to go under :)

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:57 am »

Hello everyone! New update is here.
This time it's about the faction system.

You can read the description and see more screenshots in our blog post
here ---> http://atomictorch.com/Post/Id47

Boggard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2014, 02:34:19 am »

VoidExpanse Alpha Trailer (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-ldcZIMc8

Let us know what you think!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2014, 11:23:55 am »

That's a pretty snazzy trailer!

Only has a few hundred views, though. You guys need to get it out there!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 11:43:59 am »

I'd suggest trying to find a way to be more heard about... no idea how maybe even a kickstarter at thic point would attact some attention because seeing how your trailer has less than 400 views you're simply not cutting it in that department.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »

That's a pretty snazzy trailer!

Only has a few hundred views, though. You guys need to get it out there!

I wouldn't worry about that yet. Start pushing hard a month or so before the KS or the game goes on sell. For now focus on a demo. The market is kind of flooded with good ideas but no demos.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 01:53:21 pm »

I have a sneaking feeling like I've played this game... but I couldn't have.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 02:01:13 pm »

Is it a roguelike/Will have an option for permadeath? (I didn't read all four pages. I read part of the first, and then replied. If this was already covered, sorry.)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8