Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80332 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #390 on: January 05, 2015, 01:33:52 am »

I'm taking the site down for the night. If anyone is interested, I'll put it up again tommorrow.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 05, 2015, 12:49:25 pm »

I am interested in trying, the problem is that I fear I lack the time to do so (and the instructions for making it work are a bit intimidating).
If you are fine with leaving that thing running for a month for maybe… I guess 8 to 24 hours of testing by me, put it up again.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #392 on: January 05, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »

Alright, I think I have it set up. I'm not sure it'll stay this way, though.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 05, 2015, 02:44:56 pm »

I just realized that the java.policy file is system-wide and I'd need to use root privileges to change it. I am quite uncomfortable with that. Is there a way to provide a user-overwrite? I'm not entirely sure what that file even does.
Also, the entires in there seem to be sorted into grant blocks and I am not sure which of those blocks the additional permission should go into.
Also also, I don't know what a "java web start" is (i found some information, but that was for Windows, I use Debian – is there even java web start for Linux?).
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #394 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:01 pm »

The java policy file determines what your java applications are allowed to do. I'm pretty sure there is a way to provide a user override in a more specific fashion, but I have no idea how to go about doing that, and I think its more complicated. The snippet there only allows it to make we connections to the specified address on the specified port and send and receive information. It should be put in the second block of "grant {", the one that applies to everything. If anyone who knows their way around java better than I do knows how to make a more specific, less risky version of this, go ahead and post it. I'm pretty sure this has minimal risks associated with it, but there's still probably a better way.

There is a java web start for Linux. For me, it's found under the internet section of the start menu. There are like five different java control panels though, so you may need to check several. I use Xubuntu, which is derived from Debian, so it should be more or less the same or you.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 05, 2015, 03:41:18 pm »

The "java web start" equivalent on Linux seems to be "IcedTea", although I had no luck finding something resembling site exceptions.

There seems to be a user-level policy file at
Code: [Select]
/home/<user>/.config/icedtea-web/security/java.policybut I don't know whether it is actually in effect or not.

Currently the site displays neither a graph nor a button saying "Refresh Graph". The rest is there.

[Edit]
After finding this thread I went to the "Extended Applet Security" tab and added a new row where the action is "Always trust this" and http://angle.webfactional.com/ as Document-base and Code-base.
That doesn't seem to work.
[/Edit]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:52:26 pm by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #396 on: January 05, 2015, 03:49:56 pm »

The buttons are sorted into two tabs, ones to login and ones to reply to posts. The screenshot I posted is under the "reply" tab. When you load the site, it defaults to the "Login" Tab. The graph is the only part that you need the java to view, the rest is HTML and Javascript. And yeah, iced tea is the linux java web start environment. You're looking for a screen that looks like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: The icedtea web control panel is not actually what you want, despite sounding like it's the right thing. As I said, there are like five different control panels. For me, the right thing is called Oracle Java 8 Web Start. Anyway, I need to go to work now. I'm leaving the server up, I'll be back in like 8 hours or so. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:57:07 pm by Angle »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 05, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

[Edit]
After finding this thread I went to the "Extended Applet Security" tab and added a new row where the action is "Always trust this" and http://angle.webfactional.com/ is Document-base and Code-base.
That doesn't seem to work.
[/Edit]

My IcedTea looks decidedly different from yours.
There is a security tab, but it is suspiciously devoid of anything but checkboxes.

There is no graph drawn. Switching between tabs works.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #398 on: January 05, 2015, 07:19:32 pm »

Yeah, the IcedTea control panel isn't what you want. I have one of those too, and it's of no use.

For me, the thing is called Oracle Java 8 Web Start. There are a another two or three java control panels that also won't do what you want, either.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #399 on: January 06, 2015, 03:30:51 am »

Regardless, I think one major thing we can take away from this is that we really need to figure out how to make the thing more accessible. This probably means moving away from java, as I don't think there's really a way to make java work without changing at least SOME security settings. Does anyone here know of a good language for ongoing server-client browser communications? I have little to no expertise in this area.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:05 am »

JavaScript and the HTML5 technology stack seems to be popular nowadays.
If you dislike JS, you could use Unity (C#) however that requires a (surprisingly painless) add-on installation in the browser.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #401 on: January 06, 2015, 01:55:00 pm »

I've been liking javascript. I'll look into that. I just started job training though, so it'll be a couple weeks.

As an additional note, the server is still up, for anyone who still wants to test it.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 06, 2015, 03:49:59 pm »

Screw jobs! Open an LLC and make graph forum software for a living! :D

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #403 on: January 07, 2015, 04:38:35 am »

I doubt it'd be so easy. I wouldn't mind running Agora as a job, but I doubt that will be viable aaaaaaaany time soon.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 07, 2015, 05:03:27 am »

Don't leave the server up for me. I don't want to change my system wide "java.policy" as I don't know what I am doing there.
Sorry about that. Thank you for trying to walk me through setting it up.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42