Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80329 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #420 on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:54 pm »

Hmmm. So there's going to be some server stuff (interfaces, mostly?) over in JAgoraLib? So that people can implement multiple types of server? That sounds good!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #421 on: February 09, 2015, 11:55:11 pm »

Well no, the server interface is still in JAgoraServer. But it can now be used to implement different kinds of servers, if people wish to. I actually already uploaded that one, so you can view it if you wish.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:58:17 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #422 on: February 13, 2015, 05:57:01 pm »

Alright, so I've written both the client and server side websocket classes. Now I just need to figure out how to make the tomcat server run the server side code and we're off to the races.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #423 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:12 pm »

Welp, websockets are being exceptionally difficult. I put up a stackoverflow question, but I don't know if anyone is going to be able to help me. If not, I'm thinking of ditching websockets entirely and just using HTTP to send requests. I'm pretty sure I can squish the BSON into HTTP requests somehow, and HTTP is a better fit for Agora than websockets is anyways - Agora tends to follow the Request-response model, not the constant two way streaming model. HTTP is also a much older and thus more thoroughly tested and documented system than websockets, which will be nice - much of my difficulties with websockets have been due to having a hard time finding information on it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #424 on: February 16, 2015, 12:19:57 am »

Alright, forget websockets -  I went ahead and put together a HTTP server and Library, and they work. Of course, now I can't get the server to connect to the database, probably because it can't find the conf file that tells it how. I'll take a look at that tommorrow.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:27:46 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2015, 01:42:14 pm »

Alright, we are go! I managed to get the HTTP Lib going, you can see the results here. It still requires you to add the site to your site exception list in java, but other than that you shouldn't need to do anything. Now I need to see about getting a proper certificate, which requires money I think, and then we'll see about refining the system and all that. What do people want to see in particular?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2015, 01:45:19 pm »

Tested it out quickly - couldn't really login or add an argument. Is that part working yet?

I had to allow plugins and also accept the certificate. This happens a lot for Java, I think it's normal. I don't think there's a point in spending money to make that go away right now :)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #427 on: February 17, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »

Logging in works, but I haven't added registration so it requires me to go and make an account for you.

Hmm, you didn't need to go and add "angle.webfactional.com" to your site exception list in order to get that option at all?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2015, 01:51:03 pm »

I'm using Chrome on MacOS. I just told it "always allow for this website", though I think picking the "run this time" option worked too!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #429 on: February 17, 2015, 01:53:16 pm »

Hmm, weird. I'm using Firefox on Xubuntu, and I don't even get that option unless I go and edit an obscure java control panel.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 17, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »

Hmmmm. Are you using Java 1.8 or Java 1.7? I'm currently on Java 1.7 - I also have a Java Control Panel thing, but I didn't have to do that.

Can you try to use Chrome/Chromium and see if you get the option? It might be browser-dependent. If that doesn't change it, it might be OS dependent!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #431 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:55 pm »

It's probably OS dependent - most forms of Linux are a little obsessive about security.

Well, regardless, what next? Should we consider slapping an Open source license on it? Are there any features that need to be implemented post haste? I'm thinking we should keep registration fairly limited for now, because our only moderating capabilities come from directly editing the database. Still, it'd be nice to start getting some testing done. We also probably need to refine the interface a bit - the posts are both really small and rather poorly positioned right now.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 17, 2015, 02:15:11 pm »

Yeah, somehow I feel that it needs a super professional look. Until it gets that, it's always going to look like an amateur project and not really something that will draw people!

I think with all the changes, the part where the outcomes are computed isn't really working anymore. Database changes and all that. We'd need to have a way to do that periodically. I don't think it's super feasible to do it every time there's a change.

I'd really like to look into changing the database from an SQL one to a graph-based one, since that is so much more adapted to the kind of data we are storing. That will require quite a bit of behind the scenes changes, but hopefully it will be more efficient in the long-run. I don't really know if this is the case, but we should look into it.

Right now I'm totally pinned down by a conference deadline on Friday... but I've been working on a side project that is giving me a whole lot of experience with SVG, so hopefully I can get a nice, good looking app at some point!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #433 on: February 17, 2015, 02:17:15 pm »

Awesome. I'm going to take some time to work on cataclysm while I stew about what to do with Agora next, and then we'll see.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:24:25 pm by Angle »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 17, 2015, 02:23:28 pm »

You're working on Cataclysm (the roguelike)?? That's awesome :D

I'm hoping this side project of mine will eventually allow me to get the Agora client working a lot faster. I'm learning a ton about lots of things like architecture, event-based systems, etc, all of which are applicable for the Agora client! This way we won't have to refactor it all the time as we learn new things!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42