Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80333 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2014, 07:20:03 pm »

Mongo-db could work. We're already using their libraries for the BSON, so we might as well check out their databases. The Neo4j also looks good, and even has a community version. I'm not really familiar with databases, though, so I'm going to continue focusing on the client for now.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #376 on: December 11, 2014, 07:31:04 pm »

Yeah, hopefully the interface will remain the same, so the client can be developed independently :)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #377 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »

Alright, I finally got post removal working. So now you can view the graph, loading arguments and closing them at will. Now I just need to solve some display issues and add features for adding new posts, and we'll be ready for some serious testing.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #378 on: December 26, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »

Alright, so I got basic reply functionality added. It's all still real clumsy, but I've gotten things to a point where have a usable system. Now, I'd really like to have some greater community involvement in this project, and I figure that in order for that to happen, we need to make things more accessible. To that end, I'm thinking I'd like to go ahead and put together a website, so that people don't need to download loads of code, compile it, jump through all the security hoops, etc. To this end, I'm thinking I'll put together a nonprofit Organization, which will really just handle paying for the site and receiving any money made by ads or donations, all of which will go back into funding the site. I'm willing to spend my own money in order to get things rolling. Does this sound like an acceptable plan?

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 30, 2014, 07:48:30 am »

From a user's perspective it at least says that you are serious about the product. Which I like a lot.
What's even nicer is you going public so I can finally test this thing out! :)
Also keeping an eye out for JSAgoraClient.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #380 on: December 30, 2014, 02:45:31 pm »

It'll be a while yet. I still need to go and sort out all the website stuff, so hold on to your hat.

I will also point out, you can test out the JSAgoraClient already, it's just a bit of a pain. I can guide you through it, if you like. Just be warned, there are like twenty steps.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 31, 2014, 10:00:34 am »

I'll rather wait for the public/friendly-to-use prototype.
A part of me wants to contribute in a more meaningful way but I'm not sure I'm motivated nor skilled enough to see it through.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #382 on: December 31, 2014, 02:30:00 pm »

Yeah that's senseible. I'll war you though, it's gonna be a while. I found a thing that looks like it'll work, or at least it'll be good while I figure out how to work with remote servers. I'm only beginning to scratch the surface, but but damn this stuff is complicated.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 31, 2014, 06:44:38 pm »

Amazon ec2 is free for the first year or so- under light usage. You still have to put in credit card info though.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #384 on: December 31, 2014, 08:34:39 pm »

I went ahead and bought a month of webfaction, and am well on my way through setting the server up. I'm pretty sure it'll do what I want it to do.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2015, 07:00:11 pm »

Alright, I have the server set up. There are still no security or moderation tools in Agora yet, though, and you still have to edit a bunch of security stuff to get things to work, so I don't want to go live completely yet.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #386 on: January 04, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »

Well, alright, I've got things pretty well along. I think we could do a trial run, if people are interested. It'll still be pretty vulnerable to trolls, but not as much as it was. Anyone interested? You'll have to mess with your java security settings a bunch, but it's not too bad, and you don't have to compile anything.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #387 on: January 04, 2015, 02:03:33 pm »

I may be able to participate a little.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #388 on: January 04, 2015, 02:47:49 pm »

Alright, I'll set it up live. You'll need to do a couple things to make it work, though. First, you need to find your java.policy file, which should be in your JVM folder, under jre/lib/security. there, you'll need to add "permission java.net.SocketPermission "50.97.175.55:27387", "connect,resolve";" to the list of permissions. Next, you'll need to find your java web start and edit the site exception list under security, adding http://angle.webfactional.com to that list. That's also the test site. If you follow that and see something like this, except not exactly the same thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then that means it's working. Next, you'll need to PM me your desired username and password so I can register you. I'd advise making up a completely new password, preferably random keyboard mashing that you save to a text file, because I don't think my database is very secure.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:58:04 pm by Angle »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #389 on: January 04, 2015, 06:22:37 pm »

So is anybody interested in testing the thing, or should I take it down?

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 42