Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 80351 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »

The theory is defined over graphs, so there's really no reason we need to restrict its flexibility! I think part of the selling point here is how easy it is to get into the system. Propose an argument/post, then relate it to existing ones. If you spot a connection that wasn't there before, add it later! It's plausible that people don't immediately realise any two posts on the internet are connected. It makes sense that once people realise that, they might then wish to relate them (after they have both created).

There's a nice example here, on page 8.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2014, 04:22:25 pm »

Yeah, I suppose that should be something that can be edited. So for now at least, I'll just add the code to get the thread list from the database.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2014, 07:19:55 pm »

Awesome :D

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2014, 08:47:49 pm »

Now of course, I find myself wondering where to put the code for this. I've started making the methods in JAgoraLib and JAgoraServer. Should I put some of the code in DBGraphDecoder, or just have the server do everything?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »

Hmm, good question :\

DBGraphDecoder is the one that does the querying, so I guess you can get the graphs from there. Then you can have a ForumThread class somewhere in JAgoraLib (or should it be part of JAgoraGraph somewhere?). Then you'll need to encode and decode that into BSON.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2014, 10:12:43 pm »

I put JAgoraThread in JAgoraGraph, next to JAgoraNode. Next I'll make DBGraphDecoder query for the threadlist, once I figure out how it works.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2014, 05:37:31 pm »

Alright so I got to the point where I need to query the database. The problem now is that I have no idea how to phrase the query. Is there a tutorial for this somewhere?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2014, 02:25:59 pm »

It's a MySQL database, if you know SQL! I think the queries are all in DBGraphDecoder right now, so you can probably figure out how queries databases from Java works from there. Otherwise I think the name for the library is JDBC? I honestly don't remember anymore, ugh :\

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:43 pm »

I'm about halfway done getting the getThreadList function working. I have a lot of work this week, though, so I've gone ahead and uploaded what I've done for the server, graph and lib repositories. If anyone else is interested, they can take a look. I'm sure I've done something silly somewhere, so if you can catch that it'd be good. I'll try to get back to it when I can, but as I said, I'm fairly busy this week.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:55 am »

Had a quick look over the code and it looks great, man! Nice! I don't think I've said it's great to see someone working on this, so I'll just go ahead and say it: it's great to see someone working on this :D

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2014, 08:02:24 pm »

At what point should I upload my changes for JAgoraClient? I started by deleting everything you'd written, because I didn't understand the library you were using and wanted something more familiar, so I don't want to upload until I've replaced all the prior functionality.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »

Whenever is fine. All the repositories have the old versions anyway - not that anything I've written is going to be useful for the client at any point :D

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2014, 09:16:17 pm »

Well, it's updated. Not nearly done yet, but moving along.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »

Alright, I have the client to the point where you can view the list of threads, click on a thread, and view the graph for it, so long as the graph is simple. It won't work for more complicated graphs. Next I'm going to add the capability to add new arguments, and then I'm going to start work on refining the interface for easier viewing. In order to get the project running, you'll need four projects: JAgoraLib, JAgoraGraph, JAgoraServer, and JAgoraClient. You'll need to link these up properly in an IDE and run the server, then the client. Then you can login with the first menu, and view the threadlist with the second. You can click on a thread to to view it's graph. Soon I'll add the functionality to click on a post in the graph and recenter it in your view, or to write a response too it. At some point here I'll see if I can make it easier to load up the project and test it out, but that's a little ways down on my list of priorities. Anyone who wants to take a look and make recommendations or requests is welcome to do so, and anyone who wants to contribute themselves is doubly welcome to do so. I currently have another job, so this'll progress slowly, but bear with me. We'll get there.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »

Sweet!

I'm getting a little bit more time recently, and I'll download this and see how it is! Let me know any specific things you'd like my to contribute to!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 42