Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 40266 times)

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile

I didn't mean lock them out, I meant apply drawbridge to the kitties.
YESYESYES! MURDER ALL THE KITTENS!
Crack-a-lack-a

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I didn't mean lock them out, I meant apply drawbridge to the kitties.
I've been luring them outside so when they walk towards the drawbridge I fling them;

BEHOLD! THE KITTEH-PAULT!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

can i be dwarfed please preferably as an engraver or some kind of metalsmith, but i'm not that fussed
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Just throw all the female kittens.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kobold Tiny blue people who covet shinies much like ravens do and enjoy helping people they aren't playing tricks on.  It's where the mineral "Cobalt" got its name.  The stupid lizard people, dog headed people, ect and such are variations on "they're not really people, they're mobile loot!" attempts to justify mass murder in children's games.

In DF, we accept that mass murder is just the way the game works, but we don't pretty it up and call it something else.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kobold Tiny blue people who covet shinies much like ravens do and enjoy helping people they aren't playing tricks on.  It's where the mineral "Cobalt" got its name.  The stupid lizard people, dog headed people, ect and such are variations on "they're not really people, they're mobile loot!" attempts to justify mass murder in children's games.

In DF, we accept that mass murder is just the way the game works, but we don't pretty it up and call it something else.
Doesn't kobold mean goblin in German (or some language) and cobalt got it's name because they tried to smelt cobalt and it releases a deadly gas?

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dorfed the both of you. I discovered our unnamed crafter was the legendary cook, the other was Lord Lemonpie on her spare time (cause you know, every male is a child save the named ones). So you're not a cheesemaker, but you CAN make it. As for the engraver, the legendary engraver is the miner, so you dig and engrave masterworks at ridiculous speeds... And married to Karkov. Presently working on our bedrooms for everyone but me and the expedition leader

That said, we have... Roughly 5 adults unnamed and 4 children unnamed. The mason (disguised as a planter), the expedition leader (jewler disguised as a farmer), the chief medical dwarf (karkov's wife), The Carpenter (my wife), the annoying woodcutter (Pot Chucker's wife), Karkov's daughter, my firstborn daughter and Chucker's secondborn are all up for grabs for dorfing. Once I run out, hopefully people choose babies or children for dorfing

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In this fort, at least, choosing a baby/child isn't an "instant suicide" option.  Besides, its fun to see them grow up.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile

It's definitely interesting to see children that aren't snatched or killed (presumably by drawbridge) when they're born.  Sort of a refreshing new experience. 

Just wish the buggers didn't take 12 years to grow up and be useful in anything other than harvesting.  I have a problem with making forts last because of waaaaay too many migrants (and FPS death).  Not a big fan of having 150 some odd dwarfs to take care of.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I got 100+ dwarves, I immediately instituted either danger rooms or colosseums, depending on how quickly I wanted to train a large group, how many traps I had set up, and how many babies I wanted murdered.

Usually I go very cage trap heavy for wild livestock, but when I institute danger rooms, it's because of several massive migration waves in a row (like three 20+ Waves in a row)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find 200-300 dwarves needing to be taken care of is a satisfying challenge - adequate housing, keeping the sleeping areas far enough away from noise to keep it from bothering the sleepers, truly legendary dining areas, massive fields of tombs, training grounds/police stations, statue gardens and memorial areas to keep the populace both moving around and happy, massive, multi-plot farms with dedicated farm workers and their families, the whole metal-working areas, press gangs of dedicated haulers who rotate through the military so that at any one time I have police gaurdsmen patrolling the entire fortress when they're not actively training, (hauling turned off from everybody else)...  Making everything work together with as much automation as possible becomes a megaproject all on its own.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless we get a rediculous baby boom in ~20 years, maybe we can get that many children, but I doubt it

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find 200-300 dwarves needing to be taken care of is a satisfying challenge - adequate housing, keeping the sleeping areas far enough away from noise to keep it from bothering the sleepers, truly legendary dining areas, massive fields of tombs, training grounds/police stations, statue gardens and memorial areas to keep the populace both moving around and happy, massive, multi-plot farms with dedicated farm workers and their families, the whole metal-working areas, press gangs of dedicated haulers who rotate through the military so that at any one time I have police gaurdsmen patrolling the entire fortress when they're not actively training, (hauling turned off from everybody else)...  Making everything work together with as much automation as possible becomes a megaproject all on its own.

I could probably, eventually, get to the point in a fort where I'm ready for that.  With Dorf Fort though, I'm always sort of thrust into that position really early, much earlier than I'd care to be.  I'm usually sitting at a happy thirty dwarves, all industrious and happy and whatnot, and then "migrants have arrived!"  If it was just like the first two waves, and have a maximum of about 9 dwarves a wave, I'd be happy.  It's usually about my third wave or so though when about 60 dwarves just decide that my new fort is about as appealing as Hawaii is to an Alaskan who hasn't seen the sun in three months.

I'm sorely tempted actually to mod some creatures that are ridiculously numerous, strong, and aggressive just to kill off my mountain homes during seed generation.  I'm actually extremely interested in these little forts that don't get mobbed by useless idlers that stand around until I can expand all of my workshop areas.

Basically I'm really good with tiny increases in population overtime, you stuff about 60 dwarves down my throat in one sitting though and I get really frustrated at that.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could always abandon my save and use that to start a fort. I'm sure my fortress won't do anything to start migrants

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could always abandon my save and use that to start a fort. I'm sure my fortress won't do anything to start migrants

Actually been thinking of doing that a bit, or at least taking the history seed and using it in a Masterwork setting, although I'm not sure if it'll reproduce the same results or not.  It'd be an interesting venture, to say the least.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32