Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 41064 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I could probably have done a bit because the bitchy "leader" figure wasn't there that goes all nazi if you even pull up your laptop or do anything BUT D&D, but I didn't because we were watching Rocky Horror Picture Show as we did turns... Because a stairway that collapses under your feet and making you stuck in the ground makes an encounter go waaaaaaayyyyyy too long... I think 6 hours with 3 enemies? Especially two that has resist 25 and was only killed by dropping it off of the ceiling about 30 times... But I'm the most useless of the group because I chose stupid crap, like being a fighter with shield type attacks (I just started out and chose a simple class... And nazi mentioned above HATES me for it, especially since fighters can't use platemail...).

So I had the chances but I didn't take them...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, please!  D&D is about the characters and telling a good story, not WOW on paper!  Yeah, so going into a dungeon area, killing all the stuff as efficiently as possible then selling its loot for better gear was all there was to it, people would have stopped buying the source books, specialty stuff and whatever back in the 70's!  I hate GM's that do the whole OK, so this overpowered whatsit attacks your group for no verifiable reason, and now you're all screwed unless you min/maxed your characters to death...

Give me a "train wreck" character any day - they're more fun to play and usually are the most memorable once they've fumbled their rolls once too many times.  The fire-specialty mage who exploded in the outhouse, the cleric who became an unwilling participant in a bull fight, the gnome who was never seen again after jumping into his "bag of holding" to hide from the illusion of a descending dragon - those are some of the most memorable characters.

[/rant]
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had the most average stats (nothing under 13, nothing above 15) and my character has an obsession with vengeance and he's searching for tje man in black who will tell him about the dark tower and where it lies (reference to Stephen King's Roland). It got so outta hand that everyone, especially the nazi who has 1000 references that aren't even good, hated it and told me to stop referencing it. But the nazi gets away with her references because she doesn't do anything with it? Like my guy has a purpose for existing, and her is just a bard designed to be overpowered... It was stupid :-\

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

12th of Granite, 136: Surrounded
It was quest since the were-capybara went away. We've barely looked outside until Sarrak had the curiosity of seeing what she could be fighting. What she saw and told me to see was a sight which made me glad I was inside here. Three ambush parties all awaiting us towards where our traps were laid. A few were captured, but since most of them are inactive, most of the goblins sit there and wait for the gates to open... Or to free their ally. My wife made those cages and the only way to open them is known only to dwarves; meaning only us here in our sealed halls know. Also meaning the goblins will never free their allies.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

27th of Felsite, 136: Alone Again and Chucker's New Weapon
Today, we looked outside and noticed the ambush squads left... All four of them. We have no idea how long they waited there, but it was at least two months; shorter the how long the siege took us. Afterwards, we found another use for our lead bars. Chucker smiled as he found his new weapon of war; the lead pot. Also, Cmega and the miner have become lovers. I can only hope they marry soon; we need the miner as soon as possible!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:24:23 am by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

10th of Hemetite, 136: Year of Chaos?
Something tells me that after ten years, something is trying to kill us as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And now, somehow as MESSY as possible. We heard a second sound of rhythmic patterns  in the depths. We moved the wall and saw a great horror:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ladies and gentlemen... We have Wurms... BIG Wurms...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile

Something tells me that after ten years, something is trying to kill us as quickly and as efficiently as possible. And now, somehow as MESSY as possible. We heard a second sound of rhythmic patterns  in the depths. We moved the wall and saw a great horror:

Hey, at least they're not the Shai-Hulud, then we'd definitely be in trouble.

Oh, please!  D&D is about the characters and telling a good story, not WOW on paper!  Yeah, so going into a dungeon area, killing all the stuff as efficiently as possible then selling its loot for better gear was all there was to it, people would have stopped buying the source books, specialty stuff and whatever back in the 70's!  I hate GM's that do the whole OK, so this overpowered whatsit attacks your group for no verifiable reason, and now you're all screwed unless you min/maxed your characters to death...

Give me a "train wreck" character any day - they're more fun to play and usually are the most memorable once they've fumbled their rolls once too many times.  The fire-specialty mage who exploded in the outhouse, the cleric who became an unwilling participant in a bull fight, the gnome who was never seen again after jumping into his "bag of holding" to hide from the illusion of a descending dragon - those are some of the most memorable characters.

[/rant]

Role-play, my friend.  Not roll-play.  It bugs me just as much whenever the DM decides to turn it into a game totally of fighting and no story, that's no way to play D&D.  That and when the DM decides it's time to play "DM vs. the Scrubs," where-in the DM introduces a monster 80 levels above the combined levels of the adventurers, and doesn't add it for plot effect.  I know your pain sir.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, at least they're not the Shai-Hulud, then we'd definitely be in trouble.

[/rant]

Role-play, my friend.  Not roll-play.  It bugs me just as much whenever the DM decides to turn it into a game totally of fighting and no story, that's no way to play D&D.  That and when the DM decides it's time to play "DM vs. the Scrubs," where-in the DM introduces a monster 80 levels above the combined levels of the adventurers, and doesn't add it for plot effect.  I know your pain sir.

I had a book I borrowed that said there was a game mode like that, except its supposed to be balanced. Like 10 koblads, 8 of them minions (1-hit KO them) vs a party of four 1st level characters. It only said to do it to have both the players and the DM gain experience with playing; especially if both groups are new to their roles like I was when I DMed (almost killed them in the first round so I had to deliberately missed some hits)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

22nd of Galena, 136: Colorful Logs?
Time has really been dragging on without any progress with our miner in the "mingling" session. The bedrooms that were supposed to be made for the adults aren't even finished and no one here wants to take the pickaxe from her. And no one wants to dig because they're all busy with everything else. We also need an expansion to our indoor refuse pile, and we need a larger food stockpile. We have so much food and so little dwarves to feed that we're gaining more food then actually EATING it. I'm actually inclined to get everyone to tell the expedition leader to halt all production of plump helmets to one plot; we don't need eight plots for plump helmets... And my wife was feeding our daughter a plump helmet from a barrel that was pink. I asked her what was wrong with that thing and she laughed. "They're some of the plants that were growing by our farms. They're like underground versions of trees." I stood there dumbfounded. We must get more of these!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

16th of Timber, 136: They Returned, Stronger Than Before
Sarrak came running up to me with the biggest grin on her face. She sounded panicked and excited but that grin was still there. I couldn't figure out what she said, but when I told her to slow down, she took in a deep breath and said "The time to fight has returned; the winged jackals have returned... All mounted and armed to the teeth. There is 24 of them and three look like they lead the forces. One axe-lord, one elite crossbowman, and one hammer lord." I slammed my fist into the wall in rage. "Sarrak, damnit. We can't risk our people. You're not married with children, you only look for a glorious battle. I have three sons and a daughter to protect. As well as my wife." Her grin turned sour and she walked away, knocking over one of the eroded, unused pillars at the trade depot. I went and told the expedition leader as soon as I could. Just as before, we had another meeting about what to do...

((OOC: Poll is going back on, resetted the votes. You all have ~4 hours to vote. After all, its a fortress-wide vote, right?))

EDIT:

((OOC: How the hell do you reset the poll?))
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:06:05 pm by highmax28 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

WHat are the attackers packing and do we have any means of preparations?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WHat are the attackers packing and do we have any means of preparations?
They're packing bows, giant grasshoppers, grizzly bears, an axe, a crossbow, maces, spears and a hammer. Some are toting steel armor, others iron. Nothing lower then bronze from what I saw. We have an atom smasher if you count the gate since there's ice in the moat, four legendary dwarves clad in iron and some steel, rest is iron weapons. We also have lead pots, but chucker hasn't carried them into battle for awhile... Other then that, we got nothing...

At this time, I wish Oth would rise from the earth and just devour their faces like a real Wurm, not just something useless like he is right now. But burrowing into the ground is terrifying to us also... So kinda glad about that.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok.... Is a trap/smash hall an option? I'm getting a little sick of these jerks and smashing them to past/grinding them into mush is starting to sound very appealing.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok.... Is a trap/smash hall an option? I'm getting a little sick of these jerks and smashing them to past/grinding them into mush is starting to sound very appealing.
We got a hall of death pretty much. We got a tunnel/airlock that pretty much forces them down and onto the spot. So I CAN fling them if I wanted to, but I won't end up killing them that way since they fly, but getting to stand under the bridges would be an issue...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Simple. Dig a tunnel, hook a bunch of bridges up to a single lever, punch a hole in the surface away from tha attackers, and once the Miner is in, start having a lever operator hammer them as they come in.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32