Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 41068 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Great ideas. I may do just a gold hoard and have it in a hall full of traps. So I a goblin can get through to it and make it there, then he deserves as much as that little bastard can carry
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

11th of Obsidian, 135: Karkov's Son and The Great Iron Movement
Karkov ran around today, all excited and happy. I grabbed him and asked what he was so happy about and he told me his wife had given him another son!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I congratulated him and let him go off to see his secondborn. I was happy for him. I talked with some of the others and they all had different ideas what to do with our gold. Some said giant statues of gold, others said paint the coliseum with gold. One said make a large hoard for it. I won't decide until later however. I noticed also, that our great increase of bars was gold only, so I changed the orders without the expedition leader noticing and made it all iron bars. It'll be sudden, but we need steel as soon as we can; after all, how better to train when you got the best armor on during sparring sessions?

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fun fact: If you make a gold wall then deconstruct it, the floor remains golden. 

So I suggest excavating a circle 50 tiles in diameter, and use the above principle to inscribe the symbol from Mortal Kombat in iron and gold as a training area for your elites.

After that's done, turn the bars into masses of coins, thrones, ceremonial armors, ceremonial weapons  and figurines, then get that all encrusted with cut gems, as is appropriate for a dwarven treasure chamber.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:52:31 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

28th of Obsidian, 135: Happy 10 Years you Lucky Sods!
I'm writing this mostly drunk now. Its the last year of 135, and tomorrow marks the new year. This ALSO marks the 10 years of being here in this frozen wasteland. I remember the first day we started. I was just a herbalist toting a copper sword. Splint was a sparring buddy of mine and we both ended up being tagged to come along by this fool miner. She promised us fortunes beyond our wildest dreams. That was so many years ago, even longer before our entire time here. All I know is that we left when we were all young and full of youth. Now we're all over the age of 70 except our children and a very select few who are nearing it. I remember when we journeyed for years to find this place, and so many times we got lost and eventually, we made it here. Some people said they might be joining us here, but I don't know if they ever did. Or maybe they did and they're the ones who are here with us all. Like Karkov and Cmega3.

I remember the first day we arrived here. The snow was up to our knees and we couldn't find anything until everything defrosted. O remember we carved out a big chunk of the mountain just to house our workshops. Then after a basic lodging was carved out, we moved in, and I began my training with Splint. Our only protection then was copper mail. Then thieves came and we routed them, killing about two. That was not long after Sarrak joined up with Chucker into our army. Then, they practiced with the kobold's knives, becoming great forces to be reckoned with. I remember when Chucker received his wound on his hand, which still bears that nasty scar. I remember when our woodworker died and Sarrak took her axe, which she still wields to this day. Some say she carries the soul of the woodworker. Others say the thought of vengeance comes over her when she battles. Then the woodcutter died from her stubborn pride. Then the metal crafter died, butchered by the goblin swordsmen.

I remember when the fool died when I first started keeping record of this. I hope that fool is with Armok now, making us all suffer by having her old ways still kept with us... Like that damned trap wall. It works like a charm, but its a little too effective. I remember when we started domesticating our animals, carrying a large number of skunks, wolves, eagles and anything you can think of. We then started butchewring them. And that makes me remember the food and drink problem we had for the longest time. We would starve for days until we butchered an animal we caught (if we were lucky) or if we found some vermin to feed on. The latter was more common. I remember the long building of the new barracks, and how many years it took to build.

And I remember the time where we thought.... Where we thought we were abandoned by our ancestors and the montainhomes... And how much pain everyone felt when we learned of the fate of our people... All wiped out by Jotun and goblins... I remember the time when I fell in love and married my wife. And I remember when Timeless Bob was born. And I remember the day when I stood outside for the last time, holding my son in my arms and announcing he would become the King of his generation, because he was the first and only who would have seen the light of the sun and felt its grand radiance. We worship a sun goddess here, but none of the little ones, excluding Timeless Bob, knows what the sun is. I told them, one day, when they grow up, they will know what its like to feel the warmth of the sun on your skin... To see light that will only leave during the night.

Most of all, I remember the sun, and its greatness. I remember how it felt to betouched by warmth before the coldnesss of the underground was left, sealing us here for many years.

So happy frigging birthday to you Dragonlord, the Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice. Happy frigging birthday to the Kingdom of Steel. And happy frigging birthday to our 10th year of settlin                 

<the ink goes off the page, possibly hinting that Highmax passed out or dropped his book. Possibly the former>

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st of Granite, 136: New Year, New Problems
My head is still pounding from passing out and hitting my face off the table. Thankfully I had my helmet on. But I heard Splint shouting for me to look in the hole in the wall as soon as I could. I hobbled as fast as I could, because she looked panicked (and I'm still really hung over an sore). All the sudden I put my eye up to the hole and all I see is this horrifying sight...

I couldn't have asked for a better wake up call... Or hangover cure. I grabbed my blades and we readied ourselves for the coming attack. We may be sealed inside, but we're not safe 100%. If something can bust those gates, then we're screwed... And I think that beast can do the job

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LATER:

We were lucky. He only came by to hunt, and he feasted on the wolves and chinchillas that were holding out by the cages. I never seen something devour something so ferocious... And so quickly... Blood covered his body as he ate. He then transformed and walked away with an evil grin on his face. I pray he doesn't turn this way next time...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile

LATER:

We were lucky. He only came by to hunt, and he feasted on the wolves and chinchillas that were holding out by the cages. I never seen something devour something so ferocious... And so quickly... Blood covered his body as he ate. He then transformed and walked away with an evil grin on his face. I pray he doesn't turn this way next time...

Yeah, were-creatures are rather disappointing.  They show up, have a little box, maybe kill one thing, then transform and scurry away.

On another note:  Happy birthday to the fort!  Huzzah!

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile

Wow. I'm impressed that you managed to last ten years without your fort or military being wiped out completely. I usually end up either accidentally uncovering the circus or succumbing to the first siege that comes along (I'm bad at surviving sieges since I have no idea how to effectively train my military ;-;). Of course, you're sealed away Fallout-style (although to be honest if you had a few drawbridges it would be a better seal) so it's a little easier to survive but that doesn't mean that you've got no merit. Keeping your dwarves alive before the seal seemed to be trouble enough, yet you have enough dwarves now to repopulate the Dwarven species.

Hopefully.

Anyways, props to you for being an absolute pro at this.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it was mere LUCK, not skill. I lost the best metalworker and a miner from stupidity. I can last long, but usually because I play very passively. I got lucky I didn't get ambushed earlier, so I had time to train Sarrak, Chucker, Highmax and Splint. They're all legendary in like 4-7 combat skills each. Chucker having 7 legendary (armor, knife, spear, fighter, kicker, dodger, misc. user). So I'm not loosing dwarves to military crap unless it involves deadly dust or demons or inorganic enemies. Or in this case, Jotun. I've made it to 10 years before, but I was constantly sieged by Goblins and Trolls until I killed their general, and then peace for another 3 years.... Then an update occurred and it deleted my save :-\

And trust me, it was MUCH harder building the damn vault. I'm shocked with all the goblins, none came from the south; they would've killed at least 6 dwarves. I only had to savescum once because magma crabs are demonic spawn of Fire Jotun ::)

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When in doubt, Savescum, I always say. Especially when it comes to Adventurer mode. OwO
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since I could be prevented, I had to. Especially since it proceeded to kill Cmega and Karkov and a good portion of unnamed dwarves

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile

All's well with the world, you're sealed off from a bunch of raving jackal beasts that eat your wolves and want to feast on your flesh, living the high life inside your little subterranean world.   Suddenly 8 dwarfs died.  A magma crab decided it wanted to use a back door into you cavern and murder a whole bunch of the little guys.

Now I'm actually curious as to what the thing's name/nickname was before you had to savescum out.  That thing should've been recorded in the annals of time.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

It matters not. That thing is henceforth Jerkass McMagmacrab. Because it shot at us for no reason. Stupid magma crab jerk.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It matters not. That thing is henceforth Jerkass McMagmacrab. Because it shot at us for no reason. Stupid magma crab jerk.
I agree. No updates today, I got D&D all day

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Normally I'd say DF trumps all but I guess even Dwarf Fortress can't cancel D&D.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32