Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 40310 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort With No Releif
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 08:29:27 pm »

LATER:

The battle raged for what seemed hours, but it was only minutes. All I heard was the woodworker scream as parts of his body fly off from the lashers. They began to rip him apart when Pot Chucker, the Spearmaster, charged ahead. He stabbed with grace and punched with such ferocity it would bring fear into a man's heart. The other goblins left the dead woodworker and began to charge towards Chucker. Unlucky for the Goblins, the other two soldiers and I had begun a charge. We all shouted as we made a valliant charge to death and victory. I had no idea what happened afterwards, just the constant clashing of metal and flesh being torn apart. My body was so used to combat that I just did it without thinking. Killing was as easy as breathing for me. I swung both my blades, slashing and stabbing and blocking every shot at me. I lost sight of the others in the carnage of the skirmish. Limbs began to fly and blood splattered and covered the field. Once I realized what was happening, we were chasing a fleeing spearman. Splint stabbed him, screaming for vengeance for the death of a fallen friend. She slashed out the eye of the goblin, followed by cutting his leg off. The spearmaster, Chucker, came finally with me behind and dealt the killing blow to the head. He hobbled a bit and I ran over and asked if he was fine. His hand was cut open and his legs were bruised, but he was fine despite that. I commended him for that and told him to go rest up if he needed it.

I then stood with Splint as she cried over the corpse of her friend who was slain. We were 16 strong now, and it was the population that scared me; it was that we're so close that a death would affect us all. I put a hand on her shoulder and said there was nothing we could do now except give him a proper burial. She got up and swore that she would slaughter every goblin she laid eyes on. I grabbed the body and brought it personally to the assigned burial grounds. We all had a moment to pay our respects in our busy day to honor him, and then we returned to our duties as normal. Victory came today, but at what cost?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:49 pm »

I thought you had done it on purpose. I was wondering why you had not made a joke about it in the story.

I can make it more funnier with chucker, because it makes me think of this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »

22nd of Obsidian, 128: Correction; Year End WAR
More goblins came today. One crossbowman, the rest lashers. I ready my swords again and we ready to charge again. They will not take any more lives. We are 16 strong, and we will never fall. Split readies her blade, eager to spill goblin blood. Already much blood is spilled on our fields; and yet more will feed into our lands.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »

Wait, "nauseated by the sun lately."  Cave adaptation?  Doesn't that normally only happen after a couple of years being shut underground?  How the hell did you manage that?

Good to know that he could probably take on a titan or something with adequate equipment though, is all of the military like that already?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 08:55:45 pm »

LATER:
The battle began with the wrestler/daggermaster charging ahead of all of us. I called her a fool and ran as fast as I could in iron mail, but I wasn't fast enough. But strangely enough, she stabbed one goblin and four came after her, and she dodged all of them after circling them and stabbing as she went with the speed of a cougar. She then was hit with a scourge, but countered with another stab. Then, the rest of us charged in and collided with the other goblins. For some reason, Chucker was a distance away and carrying a pot for some reason. I don't know why, but he was. Splint made it first to collide in the charge before I was, and she began to rip through the goblins with ease. Bolts flew past us and hit the wrestler/daggermaster. Luckily, with such grace and speed, she blocked it with her dagger, making an ear piercing ring crash through the air. Splint then smacks one of the bolts as another flies by us, using the momentum to slash off a goblin's hand. The goblins began to fall back and we chased them down, and chucker managed to catch up.

We finished off a few of the other goblins and the crossbowman fired a bolt at Splint and she was caught off guard. The bolt was aimed right at her head. Time seemed to go so slowly now as I ran to try and save her, but I wasn't fast enough. The sound of clay breaking was heard and the bolt lay a foot to the right of splint. Chucker had earned the name properly, and actually THREW the pot to block the bolt. I used the momentum of charging to kill the crossbowman. We stood over the corpses as snow fell and covered the bloodstains that littered the snow. Blood would feed the earth today, and only a bruise was received on our end. Goblin ambushes, 0, us 3. I stood there in the freezing weather as the others went back. I looked over towards the northern part and thought, how long must we endure until we hear some outside influence? And I mean dwarves, humans or, Armok damn me for saying this, elves even. I took a busted bolt and stuck it into the ground, marking that this was our land, and not even goblins would halt our advancement in greatness.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:19 pm »

Wait, "nauseated by the sun lately."  Cave adaptation?  Doesn't that normally only happen after a couple of years being shut underground?  How the hell did you manage that?

Good to know that he could probably take on a titan or something with adequate equipment though, is all of the military like that already?

Theres been a fuel problem for making stuff, but it should be no issue now. I'm making helmets and pants for us now, so we should live a little longer then usual now. Then its boots and gloves

Also, all of the dwarves in the military are given titles except mr Chucker. Mine is the Buck-Rim of Passions, Splint is the Taxes of Vising, and the Daggermaster (ninja?) is the Oaken Wasps. The last is definatley suiting
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:06:19 pm by highmax28 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 10:13:33 pm »

20th of Felsite, 129: Early Thaw?
We finished checking the fields for the dead, and now everyone is back to their basic duties. But the death of the woodworker still affects us. The goblins stopped attacking for now, thankfully. I pray that wasn't just a scouting party. An oddity happened not long ago, but it was just told to me now; the river thawed a month early, almost exactly when the snow melted away. This is strange, but I doubt anything serious about it. We're now getting some more gear from the metalsmith, which I have to admit, its a damn good feeling to know you're well protected in almost full iron mail. Only thing we're missing is gloves and boots, which he said he's forging once he gets more iron bars smelted. Also, the wrestler has chosen to take up using an axe, although she isn't as good with it as she was with the dagger. I pray she can use that thing very well quickly; I don't want her to get killed because she can't use an axe properly. The Barracks are almost completed, but they will have to be put on hold until the moat is completed; the bridges have to be deconstructed until we can remove the earth underneath it

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:51 pm »

19th of Hemetite, 129: Discoveries and Decisions
Our miner dug into a cavern today. Hopefully, we don't run into anything too terrifying down there. We're walling off the stairway in case if there is something there. In the meantime, we found gold, which means we can make some really nice furniture. Also, we need to finish up the noble quarters soon, cause we need to have a bookkeeper soon, so we know exactly how wealthy our nation is. I wish though that the mountainhomes could see us now, but I doubt it since they abandoned us in this freezing cold wastes. Maybe if we kill off enough of those goblins, we can make enough renown for ourselves and prove to the mountainhomes that we ARE worth sending caravans to, along with some migrants. But I doubt it. We also nearly finished the moat, which is great news. Though I doubt we can finish before the next freezing. I watch how easily the wrestler uses the axe now, and its like a second nature to learn new weapons for those two. Its strange. Regardless, we practice more and more each day to hone our skills. Especially now since we're actually wearing armor. Its definatley better then a simple chainmail that was worn out and some chain leggings that was no better then the chainmail... And a little cap that could be a piece of metal just sticking on my forehead. Now, we're almost fully equipped and ready to take on even greater leigons of goblins. But I rather not test my luck, so we still practice and heighten our skills. And everyone else... WEll, they're busy doing their usual things. Cmega3 is storing crap, Chucker is throwing more pots for training, Karkov is... Smelting ore? Strange... Splint is beating the crap out of a dummy that looks like a goblin, and everyone else is doing what they're supposed to be doing. Its been very quiet right now. This scares me...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 03:01:03 pm »

From farming and carting caged wolves to smelting.  Apparently I'm have a mid-life crisis or something, can't choose one profession and have a ton of different hobbies.  At least I'm still doing something useful!

O I wish though that the mountainhomes could see us now, but I doubt it since they abandoned us in this freezing cold wastes. Maybe if we kill off enough of those goblins, we can make enough renown for ourselves and prove to the mountainhomes that we ARE worth sending caravans to, along with some migrants. But I doubt it.

Wait, does this mean we haven't been getting any migrants either, or am I interpreting that wrong?  Because if we're not getting migrants or a caravans, it definitely sounds like the mountain homes got destroyed.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »

From farming and carting caged wolves to smelting.  Apparently I'm have a mid-life crisis or something, can't choose one profession and have a ton of different hobbies.  At least I'm still doing something useful!

O I wish though that the mountainhomes could see us now, but I doubt it since they abandoned us in this freezing cold wastes. Maybe if we kill off enough of those goblins, we can make enough renown for ourselves and prove to the mountainhomes that we ARE worth sending caravans to, along with some migrants. But I doubt it.

Wait, does this mean we haven't been getting any migrants either, or am I interpreting that wrong?  Because if we're not getting migrants or a caravans, it definitely sounds like the mountain homes got destroyed.

Asked on the gameplay help fourms and they said that they died also. Think I might include this. Think about it; the last bastion of the dwarves, sixteen strong. And you had hauler duties and apparently smelting turned on automatically.

Cmega, I could try that, but I don't know if any sieges will occour. I'm gonna try and get a squad of marksdwarves for defensive purposes. Everyone else will be simple basic dwarves with basic training. I'm debating on having all labors turned on also. I'm gonna post another, small update soon, mostly because all spring/summer was quiet...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »

Be wary man, you'll have a tough time of it and you'll need to encourage mingling so at least a few dorfs are breeding to make replacements. You really can't afford to lose dwarves if your civ is dead.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 05:22:13 pm »

Be wary man, you'll have a tough time of it and you'll need to encourage mingling so at least a few dorfs are breeding to make replacements. You really can't afford to lose dwarves if your civ is dead.

I was reccomended that by a friend who never played DF... It was the smartest thing ever to be spoken by him

I'm, gonna grab certain dwarves to just sit there and do nothing but TALK. I can't remember the M/F ratio, but itll be like 5/6 women and 2 guys at once probably. Probably also during the spring/summer months
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:24:30 pm by highmax28 »

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »

Asked on the gameplay help fourms and they said that they died also. Think I might include this. Think about it; the last bastion of the dwarves, sixteen strong. And you had hauler duties and apparently smelting turned on automatically.

Cmega, I could try that, but I don't know if any sieges will occour. I'm gonna try and get a squad of marksdwarves for defensive purposes. Everyone else will be simple basic dwarves with basic training. I'm debating on having all labors turned on also. I'm gonna post another, small update soon, mostly because all spring/summer was quiet...

If I recall correctly, you can still get sieged, but only when you hit some uncertain number of dorfbucks and... I want to say 80 total dwarfs?  That's usually the starting requirements for a goblin siege anyway.  I'm pretty sure you'll never see a human or an elven siege, simply because they don't visit you with caravans to steal from.  Goblin sieges will randomly generate a random amount of goblins to attack you with, so even if you're not connected to them by land they'll still show up to give you hell (once again, at around 80 population). 

My suggestion would be to build a wall around the fort and hide inside of it.  If those are the only dwarfs you'll have, it's time to settle down and start breedin'.  You can worry about risky endeavors and megaprojects later, now is the time to expand!  (Also be really careful about the 20 dorf mark, strange moods are dorf killers extraordinaire.)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 05:42:24 pm »

If I recall correctly, you can still get sieged, but only when you hit some uncertain number of dorfbucks and... I want to say 80 total dwarfs?  That's usually the starting requirements for a goblin siege anyway.  I'm pretty sure you'll never see a human or an elven siege, simply because they don't visit you with caravans to steal from.  Goblin sieges will randomly generate a random amount of goblins to attack you with, so even if you're not connected to them by land they'll still show up to give you hell (once again, at around 80 population). 

My suggestion would be to build a wall around the fort and hide inside of it.  If those are the only dwarfs you'll have, it's time to settle down and start breedin'.  You can worry about risky endeavors and megaprojects later, now is the time to expand!  (Also be really careful about the 20 dorf mark, strange moods are dorf killers extraordinaire.)

Fortress defense mod has seiges from lesser races at 20 population... ANd thats installed atm

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »

Fortress defense mod has seiges from lesser races at 20 population... ANd thats installed atm

Armok be with you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32