Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Dragonlord The Ancient Bloody Age of Artifice Break the Siege or Remain Sealed?

REMAIN SEALED!
- 0 (0%)
BREAK THE SEIGE!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 04, 2013, 07:40:59 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes  (Read 41024 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »

We do as the guardians of asgaard do... WE CHARGE INTO THEM! :P

In all seriousness, I'm terrified of the Jotun showing up. I can understand how big they are. I don't know how something so big can fit on one square... I guess the major goal of my dwarves is to kill ALL the Jotun? A seemingly impossible goal, but if we get one Thor dwarf to kick all their asses, we should be fine. And by Thor dwarf, I mean a dwarf who can kill Jotun single handedly.

One thing I don't like about sealing myself in: its so boring under here. Nothing has happened. But I got a too small population and army to satiate my boredom, so I know I have to keep going. I'm also expecting at least 1 baby a year, so if I get all four men to have wives pumping out babies every year, then I expect that by the time we get our first baby from the fourth male, we should have 11 babies and Timeless being at least 5. So four babies a year, it would take ~14 years to get 80 population. And that's not fully grown either and not including the babies having children. So Jotun would be a long ways away if they arrive at 80 dwarves... Or was that goblins? Regardless, we should be fine if we got a good archery group and a good melee group. Also, ballistas would help also. And I decided my daughters will be in their own group of soldiers that all are in squads called "Valkyries <#>" since I'm doing squads of 2. And they'll all use ranged attacks.

Also, Karkov, take a look above the airlock. Theres a gap in between the two walls that make a perfect spot for fortifications. Have all my arhcers there and unleash hell upon sieges.

So in truth, nothing to report ATM... boring silence in the halls of stone right now...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Age of Artifice: A Fortress Defense Fort Abandoned by the Mountainhomes
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2013, 11:19:36 pm »

In all seriousness, I'm terrified of the Jotun showing up. I can understand how big they are. I don't know how something so big can fit on one square... I guess the major goal of my dwarves is to kill ALL the Jotun? A seemingly impossible goal, but if we get one Thor dwarf to kick all their asses, we should be fine. And by Thor dwarf, I mean a dwarf who can kill Jotun single handedly.

One thing I don't like about sealing myself in: its so boring under here. Nothing has happened. But I got a too small population and army to satiate my boredom, so I know I have to keep going. I'm also expecting at least 1 baby a year, so if I get all four men to have wives pumping out babies every year, then I expect that by the time we get our first baby from the fourth male, we should have 11 babies and Timeless being at least 5. So four babies a year, it would take ~14 years to get 80 population. And that's not fully grown either and not including the babies having children. So Jotun would be a long ways away if they arrive at 80 dwarves... Or was that goblins? Regardless, we should be fine if we got a good archery group and a good melee group. Also, ballistas would help also. And I decided my daughters will be in their own group of soldiers that all are in squads called "Valkyries <#>" since I'm doing squads of 2. And they'll all use ranged attacks.

Also, Karkov, take a look above the airlock. Theres a gap in between the two walls that make a perfect spot for fortifications. Have all my arhcers there and unleash hell upon sieges.

So in truth, nothing to report ATM... boring silence in the halls of stone right now...
It's 80 for goblins, fortress defense creatures (Jotuns, White Tigermen, all of those guys) show up when they feel like it.  That was one of the dangers of this fort though, is the boredom from waiting to get a good population to take on everything again.  Dwarfs usually mate at the rate of 1 child a year for each couple, and dwarfs live from anywhere between 120 to 170 years. 

I'd say you could take on some underground megaprojects if you get really bored, just make sure you take it carefully. 

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »

It's 80 for goblins, fortress defense creatures (Jotuns, White Tigermen, all of those guys) show up when they feel like it.  That was one of the dangers of this fort though, is the boredom from waiting to get a good population to take on everything again.  Dwarfs usually mate at the rate of 1 child a year for each couple, and dwarfs live from anywhere between 120 to 170 years. 

I'd say you could take on some underground megaprojects if you get really bored, just make sure you take it carefully.

I'm snooping for magma right now, but the spot I THOUGHT it was, turned out being a dud. I swear, if I'm 1 floor above it, I'm not gonna be happy...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

4th of Malachite, 133: Praise the Miner!
Today the miner found something wonderful; magma! And that's not all!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, we're not going to get that blue ore for awhile, so let us use the magma to our advantage. We need some better gear and possibly some trap components. Plus, we would like some gold statues for a garden (even though its indoors, so its more like a museum). Other then this, nothing really has been happening since we've been underground. Its eerily quest here...

((OOC: I also noticed the FB corpse disappeared. WTF?))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

6th of Limestone, 133: Mingling Session #3
The expedition leader had ordered the second official mingling session. This time, Chucker and the expedition leader herself were chosen as were the woodcutter and pack lord. Quite the bunch, I say. Regardless, the forges and smelters are now up and running, and Karkov and Sarrak have taken up metalworking for now just to get a stable amount of metal bars. Then Sarrak will take over and forge the rest of the gear and bars once we get a large sum of bars. I also talked with Timeless Bob about what he will fight with when he grows up. He told me he didn't know yet, but he still trains with that little knife. I may train him with a sword. Then again, he may use an axe or spear. Or maybe he'll take up one of the more lesser used weapons and grab a mace or hammer. And if he's really wanting a challenge, he could grab a more exotic weapon the goblins used. Whatever he chooses, he will excel at, I'm sure of it. And he may even become greater then I.

Before she went down for "mingling", the expedition leader told me that we're gonna have to interrogate some of the goblins, for she wished for us to learn more about the fall of the mountain homes. After all, she did come from the last wave of people who arrived, saying she and her friends decided to come with us in belief that she could make her fortune as a gem cutter. So knowing that no one here knows about the fall, she entrusted splint and I to deal with "interrogations". I didn't like this business but Splint seemed to grin fiendishly at the thought of hurting goblins. I told her she can do the torture if need be but I'll ask the questions, lest her hate for goblins takes over her mind.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we still have an excess of extra goblins hanging around, you can always make a gladiator arena you know.  It'd give you something to do at least, carving out a grand coliseum underground.  That way after you're done with your interrogations you can have a rather fitting fight to the death with the goblins. 

Oh I had a thought for my firstborn.  You should make them an engraver, so basically our resident historian.  :D

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we still have an excess of extra goblins hanging around, you can always make a gladiator arena you know.  It'd give you something to do at least, carving out a grand coliseum underground.  That way after you're done with your interrogations you can have a rather fitting fight to the death with the goblins. 

Oh I had a thought for my firstborn.  You should make them an engraver, so basically our resident historian.  :D

Sure! For now, I'm using you as our historian. You're not an engraver, but it will work. Especially for this update.

10th of Sandstone, 133: Answers
Splint was sleeping, so I decided to start interrogating without her. I had my blades in hands and the goblin was brought before me in his cage. He was chained down also so he wouldn't escape.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I called up Karkov since he knew much of our past. Stories, legends, facts, there wasn't much he didn't know. He arrived about a couple months after I did with six others. He stayed back with a slab for keeping notes. And then we began:

Highmax: "Alright goblin. I'm gonna ask you some questions and you're going to answer me. Are we clear?

Goblin: "Go to hell!"

Highmax: "Don't test me. Just because Splint has a nasty temper for goblins, doesn't mean I don't. Your kin killed a good friend of mine. Now, I'll ask the first question. Who are you?"

Goblin: "Go soak your head, I'm not answering ANYTHING. Especially to a filthy dwarf!"

Highmax: "So be it."

<Highmax breaks the goblin's fingers, goblin screams>

Goblin: "Dark One take you!"

Highmax: "You've got ten fingers. The more you do this, the more I'm going to break. I'll ask again; who are you?"

Goblin: "Asno... goblin Lasher..."

Highmax: "Who is this dark one?"

Asno: "he is the one who brought us goblins to power! He lead us onto many battles to destroy your kind!"

Highmax: "Names, green-skin."

Asno: "I only know him as the Dark One. Some call him The Master. Some, those who are stupidly devout, call him the King from the Depths. His name brings fear to all who hear it. Only his most trusted generals know his true name!"

Highmax: "So what is this "dark one"? A goblin god?"

Asno: "Hes greater then all your gods... Mostly because he exists..."

Highmax: "That doesn't answer my question"

Asno: "Why, does this not help you?"

<Highmax smacks the goblin lasher in the bottom front tooth with the flat of his sword, and the severed part sails off in an arc!>

Asno: "Hes... <cough> ...a demon...

Highmax: "What do you know of the fall of our mountainhomes?"

<asno laughs maniacally>

Asno: "Your precious homes? We sacked it. We burned your homes and slaughtered your people. Our allies managed to weaken you and we came and finished the job!"

Highmax: "Who're your allies?"

Asno: "You never heard of them? Our allies are the beings that exist only to destroy. The Dark One brought them here from a world where they await the end of times. They believe their summoning was their calling to destroy everything, and that the goblins would aid them in doing so. They tower above any living being, even giants and colossi fear them. While you sit here in your fortress, they wage war on the other races that aren't Goblins. We pillaged the world and destroyed all who opposed us! Your kin were merely the first!"

Highmax: "What are these things?"

Asno: "You don't have the guts to hear their name"

<Highmax grabs the goblin's throat with his right hand>

Highmax: "WHAT ARE THEY!?"

Asno: "Jotun..."

Highmax: "Rot in hell, green-skin. Damn all your kin for bringing these monsters to us!"

<highmax stabs the goblin lasher with his <-iron longsword-> in the upper body, tearing apart the skin, shattering the bone and piercing the heart>
<the goblin lasher is unconscious!>

Karkov recorded the whole thing. He was as shocked as I was when we found out the Jotun have arrived. Surely this meant either the end times or the last stand of all living things. But other races fell. Are we the race that the Jotun hunt? Are we truly safe in our hole underground? I fear the worst...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, good story.  Working in the demon and the Jotun.

We're definitely gonna need some slashing weapons and some either steel or candy armor if we want to take on the Jotuns when they finally show up. 

Have you decided what your first expansion of the fort is gonna be?  Housing, coliseums, stupid dwarf tricks? 

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ooh, good story.  Working in the demon and the Jotun.

We're definitely gonna need some slashing weapons and some either steel or candy armor if we want to take on the Jotuns when they finally show up. 

Have you decided what your first expansion of the fort is gonna be?  Housing, coliseums, stupid dwarf tricks?

Probably now that we got iron, steel, gold and silver production in ridiculous numbers, food to last a large fort years, and an excess of beds, I say coliseum will be first. It wont be too big, but itll be engraved with statues and traps. And multi-accessing rooms to allow more enemies to come in.

After that, we will have larger bedding spots for everyone. Children will get the old rooms and the new rooms will be placed under the dining hall. It'll be farther away, but It'll be great. Especially since it will take multiple floors. By then, we'll have enough statues for a statue garden. Afterwards, it will probably be year 135, so by then, we SHOULD have a population of 20~ meaning our first siege might occur. Then basic jobs will go around, with the engraver (miner) smoothing out the major halls of the fortress, such as the enterance, stairways, and bedroom halls. Then comes the engraving process of the ENTIRE fort. Then I'll figure out more ideas. By year 145 (long ways away) we'll have about 4/5 of our children grown up and training in the army or their trade. By year 150, we'll have a large army and probably more "mingling" sessions. By 160-165 I plan to retake the surface. Highmax will be an elder soldier, Sarrak might be dead, being 90+ right now, and the other soldiers also aging. Unfortunatley, my ADD will cause me to go off DF every now and then, especially with pokemon coming out. Also battlefield 4... But I'll never forget about this fortress, and even if toady one updates, I'll keep this going. This is something that happens once every 1 million seeds (probably less cause of the mod) and I want to keep this going until the last dwarf dies.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I just had to savescum because a magma crab just kicked the shit outta Karkov and wounded several others to the point that many were getting beat up by the crab...

Does anyone know how to make the smelters safe from magma crabs? I've never had a problem with them spewing shit until now...

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not seeing a Building Destroyer tag on them, so I guess you could floor over the area where you're accessing the magma, and then build a pump stack away from them so they definitely can't touch you.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile

Despite that my death is quite possible in line of duty, I won't go down to something like old age. Bah! Dwarves are tough as hell and won't put down their weapons until they are 150 years old. And even then, they can live twenty years at leisure pace, telling stories to their grandchildren... Well, don't know if will be possible for Sarrak to do so, but she will surely live up to conquering the hell, no less  :P
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not seeing a Building Destroyer tag on them, so I guess you could floor over the area where you're accessing the magma, and then build a pump stack away from them so they definitely can't touch you.

Pump stack?

How do I put this...

I'm... Well... Not even dabbling when it comes to pump stacks... Only time I attempted I screwed up because of the way I dug it out... Plus, I didn't have the materials and by then, I had to give up my turn

Despite that my death is quite possible in line of duty, I won't go down to something like old age. Bah! Dwarves are tough as hell and won't put down their weapons until they are 150 years old. And even then, they can live twenty years at leisure pace, telling stories to their grandchildren... Well, don't know if will be possible for Sarrak to do so, but she will surely live up to conquering the hell, no less  :P

Sarrak, your dorf is the oldest in the entire fortress. If you die of old age before we reclaim the surface, I'm not gonna be surprised. And you will probably never die a warriors death because you're the best soldier in the entire fortress, practicality wise. You have the highest kill count and you got the best armor available and you move the fastest. Your only rival is Chucker who is the best dwarf skill-wise but second best practically. And you're saprring partners, so you're like the elite soldiers, even topping myself and Splint. Yeah, we had longer to train, but you both started out with accomplished stats when you both migrated. And you arrived in the second wave with Karkov and one of the deceased. Probably the woodworker whos axe you carry. Unless the Jotun come by before you die of old age, you have 0 chance of dying in battle. I don't even think war elephants can kill you, much less harm you. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up becoming the Thor figure, slaying Jotun single-handedly.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pump stack?

How do I put this...

I'm... Well... Not even dabbling when it comes to pump stacks... Only time I attempted I screwed up because of the way I dug it out... Plus, I didn't have the materials and by then, I had to give up my turn

Pump stacking's not too difficult, the wiki has a wonderful page on it and it's even got a really good illustration.

Sarrak, your dorf is the oldest in the entire fortress. If you die of old age before we reclaim the surface, I'm not gonna be surprised. And you will probably never die a warriors death because you're the best soldier in the entire fortress, practicality wise. You have the highest kill count and you got the best armor available and you move the fastest. Your only rival is Chucker who is the best dwarf skill-wise but second best practically. And you're saprring partners, so you're like the elite soldiers, even topping myself and Splint. Yeah, we had longer to train, but you both started out with accomplished stats when you both migrated. And you arrived in the second wave with Karkov and one of the deceased. Probably the woodworker whos axe you carry. Unless the Jotun come by before you die of old age, you have 0 chance of dying in battle. I don't even think war elephants can kill you, much less harm you. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up becoming the Thor figure, slaying Jotun single-handedly.

Very true, you're also ranking somewhere in the top 10 for most amount of kills, and that was when my dwarf got married.  A wrecking ball of destruction and goblin kills. 

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's why if I was getting a champion slot, which I wont, Sarrak would fill it

EDIT:
Wait, that including Jotun!? Holy Crap!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32