Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you read the provided background information?

Yes
A little
No
The what?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 137

Author Topic: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!  (Read 168124 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Tabitha sighs and gets to work. Some tinkers could skip to the last step, but for her she had to start in the middle. Tabitha couldn't just brew a serum; she had to make a machine to brew the serum. Bright side: Once the work was put in, she could mass-produce it pretty easily (although the machines broke down all the time). Downsides: It took longer to set up, and both bugfixes and upgrades were major pains. Still...
Tabitha started by planning how to modify the general serum-creating machine to make super-strength serum. Super strength is a pain; it would be able to take bits from all of her other serums, but just mixing them was never predictable. Reliable, but unpredictable. The thing is, there are just a lot of things that a super-strength serum needs to give. The muscles need to be able to apply enough force to lift a car, but the bones need to be able to avoid being crushed under a car, and of course the muscles also need to be toughened to keep from ripping themselves to pieces. And the mechanics of significantly improving force applied are difficult to figure out.
If only...Tabitha had heard rumors, like everyone in the PRT and most people in the world, of people who sold canned or bottled superpowers, based in the Caribbean or Africa or Disputed Russia or somewhere else out of the way or in chaos. If she could get her hands on that...the possibilities would be endless. She could stop faking and start doing.
[20!]
Tabitha got distracted on this line of thought. Could I do something like that? Before she knew it, she was looking up information on every Trump the PRT had data on--from locals like Sliver and Fang (huh, he joined the Bones) and greats like Trump herself. She began making plans for this new device, how it might work. Before she knew it, she was interrupted by her stomach growling. Glancing around the room, she realized she had slipped into that state Tinkers sometimes have to face where they keep working on their inventions for hours or--according to urban legend--days on end, until somehow shocked out of the state.
End result: A mostly-complete design for a machine that could probably create some kind of power-granting serum. She'd need to test it extensively, once she finished it. But first...late dinner, much-needed sleep, and all of that.

Kevin gets dinner around six. He keeps en eye on his surroundings, and notes a number of heroes, PRT officers, and civilians. One looks...hey, is that the girl who attacked him earlier? Why is she here? Shouldn't she be in a prison? She is sitting right next to the Wards' dining area, even! And now a hero--Sliver?--is taking her into the Wards' dining area...keeping an eye on her?

Delphinium and Selina keep together most of the day. Selina is being taught some basics that Delphinium remembers related to the Wards--how things work, who to listen to, stuff like that. Soon enough, it's dinner time. Delphinium gets food and goes to the Wards' dining area; Selina sits as close to said area as she can without seeing the unmasked faces of the Wards. Selina has barely started supper, however, when Sliver shows up and asks her to join him in the Wards' dining area. Startled, she accepts.
Selina is lead into the area, where she sees the Wards eating, costumed except for masks. Several are startled at her appearance, most notably Bullhit and String-Em-Up. Some try to get their masks, helmets, or other facial coverings on.
"Um, Sliver, why are you bringing a civilian in here? Isn't that against rules?"
"Dud, that's the girl who attacked HQ this afternoon. Breaking rules isn't the dumbest thing about it."
"Seriously? That's more than a little dumb."

"Quiet! Everyone who doesn't know, this is Selina Nox, and she will be joining the Wards on a probationary basis soon enough. I've heard what some of the Protectorate and PRT folks were saying about her--"
"--because they happened to be discussing it near where you were going about your unsuspicious business--"
"--and she's kinda had a rough time. So, I wanted to invite everyone to her early, and vise versa. Selina, I'm Sliver, aka Ines. Yeah, I'm a girl. I had an...incident when I triggered, so the PRT felt they needed to try a bit harder to hide who I was, so they had me pretend to be a guy whenever I'm in costume. Kinda annoying. The big guy is Bullhit, aka Gus, aka the guy who's always in trouble. Literally, he got in trouble the day he announced his name--"
"It's a pun on Bullet, I swear!"
"No one over the age of ten ever believed that, Gus. Anyways, ever since then he's been getting into enough rules-defying antics to keep him fully on the PRT's hit list, which doesn't actually sound as good as I intended."

"What a surprise. Sliver bungles a pun."
Sliver and Bullhit start arguing; it doesn't take long for Blaster to start egging them on. Scatterstep sighs and turns towards Selina. "You might as well get used to it. Sliver's graduating in three months, but until then she and Bullhit are going to be going at it like this a couple of times per day. Probably less if they're both going on separate patrols, and if they've got the same patrol...you don't really want to be manning the control room. I'm Leonor, alias Scattershot. Blaster, shut it. That's Blaster, or Sue. She is kinda annoying, and more than kinda immature, but her gear's good. String-Em-Up, Jesse, is usually pretty quiet around everyone else, mainly because we tend to tease him. He's basically the kid brother of the team."
"Hey!
"Don't hear you denying it."
He leaves the floor open for Delphinium to introduce herself to Selina.

Steven discovers that his power does not quite work like that. He does, however, have a lump on his hand where he took a chunk out of his now-three-and-a-half-legged bed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's Worm for you. Even the best option may well be an atrocity.
Heck, just wait for the climax. And no, that arc is not anywhere near the climax.

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Selina is very quiet and trying to seem okay with everything going on. She was actually really nervous right now, meeting so many new people... people who had been trying to kill her a few hours ago maybe but... they seemed alright... hopefully. She was presumably in some new clean clothes, i.e. white sweat pants and a loose dark green shirt that was no where near form fitting. Selina seemed a very conservative person.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Oh, right.
Yeah, she got new clothes. Not quite as loose as she wants, though. Pretty tight, so she can't hide anything under her shirt or waistband.
Of course, this should be the least of her worries at the moment.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Selina feels a little uncomfortable in the new clothes, not liking how much they actually showed about her form. She was also very worried that she'd mess this up, kill one of these people before she could be stopped. What if she became a liability? What if they all hated her? Would she ever fit in here? ...
[/quote]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

"Muhahahahaha! Yes! I cracked the co-ode, I cracked the co-ode~"

"Wuzza?" Hannah blinked and lifted her head from the lab table. "Oh, you're done. What did you make this time?"

"Hahahah you know the speed serum?"

"Yeeees?"

"This is like that but with other stuff times twenty."

"Holy shit."

"Fuck yeah!"

"That's amazing! Are you gonna report it?"

"Fuck no! Not till it's done."

"Super strong mice then?"

"Dinner is what! Oh this is so exciting! This might usher in a new chapter in annals of history~ But for now, I hunger!"

"Then sleep? We've been here for hours. I was supposed to get off ages ago."

"Sleeping is a weakness. Food is forever."

To the nearest eatery!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile

Kevins shoulders tensed and he instinctively made a power immunity rune underneath his bandages. (2 points)
The implications of Sliver and the upstart villain going into a private room for the wards were jarring and even irresponsible of Sliver if they were true.

He asked one of the PRT officers sitting around if it was normal for villains to casually walk by security and into the ward dining area.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:12:30 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Sliver, the power-transferer, not Slither, the snake person.))

Yeah, looking back on it, it seems kind of annoying, but I do have an explanation!
Back towards the beginning of this project, I was trying to think of interesting "themes" for heroes, and thought of slivers from MtG. So I made a superhero(ine) like that.
Later, I was trying to fill in the last slot in the Protectorate's roster, and noted the lack of Masters. I thought, and thought of the best-known Master from Worm: Valefor Skitter. So I made a snake-controlling cape, tweaked him to not be useless in Canada (or, really, anywhere north of the Ohio River), and tried to think of a name..."Meh, he's kinda like Skitter, why not just call him Slither?"
It wasn't until Unholy_Pariah asked if they were related that I noticed the similarity of the names.
Sig

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile

((changed))
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((There are snakes here... just not a lot of poisonous ones))
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((There are snakes here... just not a lot of poisonous ones))
((Really? Huh. There aren't really any reptiles where I'm from, except ones kept warm in the winter by humans, and I'm farther south than Canada.))
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Yep. My mom hates snakes though, so she freaks out when one shows up on the lawn.))
[/quote]

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

"Considering that we've spent most of today together, I suppose that now is as good a time as ever for us to formally meet.  I'm Elena."  She gave her best disarming smile, Selina was tense and distinctly uncomfortable, "Don't worry, most of us are pretty good people.  Toronto has a bit of a darker Protectorate presence than we like to admit, but so far it's helped to keep the villains a little bit brighter."
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Selina smiled shyly back.

"I-i'm Selina then..."
She relaxed ever so slightly, feeling better around these people now. Maybe she could make some friends among them... but there was also the danger she lost control... and she still felt pretty self conscious in the clothing though, especially about how much/how little it showed of her chest and hips... mostly how much though... She hoped she would be able to get clothes that suited her style later.

((Selina is very heavily distracting her thoughts from what shes actually feeling right now, dread and fear, as well as an underlining loneliness.))
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:49:23 pm by RangerCado »
[/quote]

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

"You know," Elena takes a bite of her food and then points her fork at Selina, "ou wowwy shoo muck."  She swallows, "Gah, sorry.  You worry too much, it isn't healthy.  It's a common problem that parahumans and people in general have.  Gus wants to be noticed, Jesse's the youngest person on the team, Sue and Leo would eat me if I even hinted at their problems and Ines doesn't realize how good of a leader she actually is.  Your issues don't define you, how you deal with them does, and, you know, you don't have to worry about your clothes so much. The only person in here ass enough to judge you on your appearance is Gus and, after his beating today, first impressions have already been established." 
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"S-s-sorry... n-n-nervousness k-kept me alive... o-o-out there... A-a-and these r-really aren't... um... m-m-my kind of cl-clothes..." Selina sighs and starts to eat some of the food, trying to keep calm but not sure how to connect with Elena, her 'caretaker' for all intensive purposes. Could they be friends?
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 137