Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you read the provided background information?

Yes
A little
No
The what?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 137

Author Topic: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!  (Read 168083 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: (Indeterminate Worm-Inspired Superhero(?) Game): Signups ending!
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2013, 07:55:23 am »

I'd complain about how my chosen attributes and my trigger don't mesh that well but then again I kinda minmaxed it and yours makes more sense. I'll make it work. Biomedical... Oh! Retrovirus Genetic Modification! Dude the things you can do with retroviruses. See? Already working out great.

Granted this is all tempered by the fact that I actually have a character and should probably align my actions through her mindset.

1. What did you do in the immediate aftermath of your mother's death? Bear in mind the number of tinkered devices and disassembled appliances. You could probably undo much of the damage if you tried.

Tried being the operative word here. I think that she would just be tired and apathetic. Military discipline kicks in, and she calls 911. She cleans up the bits out of respect, but it's still pretty clear that something went down.

2. What did you do afterwards? Did you try to practice or plan your tinkering, find an employer, what?

Lets take the logical conclusion here. Tabithas powerset is damn useful. Protectorate would try to snatch that up as soon as they could. But Tabitha is in no way shape or form ready for heroing. Maybe after a year or so of normalcy, but not right then and there.

But the tinkering madness is running through her head, and after all that she has experienced, she can't not stand by and use what could have saved everyone, so long ago. So she gets a Panacea type deal. She works unofficially for the local protectorate, makes and distributes one shot medicines and boosts, and her identity is protected in case she ever wants to don the mask, cause damn if some of her stuff doesn't work a lot better when she uses it.

'Maybe if I save these people, I won't see their screaming faces haunt my dreams. No? Maybe this time. No? Maybe this time...'

3. If you used your power, where did you find materials?

I made the brain scanner out of a toaster, a potato, three towels and the cat.

'Whats that fluffles? She has a tumor?'

"Meow."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:09:52 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2013, 08:05:52 am »

Spoiler: Wolfchild (click to show/hide)
I was suffering writer's block with Emp's character and need to go.

Two postscripts:
1. Does -voyance work like -kinesis and the like--that is, would (to pick a not-at-all random example) hydrovoyance work as a name for being able to sense danger?
2. Could everyone (at least everyone online) contribute their $0.02 to the setting?

Dammit derm, you ninja'd me. I'll read that later.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2013, 08:09:13 am »

I'm open to any setting really, I just hope i can read faster than spoilers start :P
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2013, 08:11:02 am »

((For scenarios, I'm still voting for #1 but to be honest, exact location is irrelevant to me, so anywhere would be fine. As for time-frame, I guess around about present time.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:44 am »

Spoiler: Wolfchild (click to show/hide)
I was suffering writer's block with Emp's character and need to go.

Two postscripts:
1. Does -voyance work like -kinesis and the like--that is, would (to pick a not-at-all random example) hydrovoyance work as a name for being able to sense danger?
2. Could everyone (at least everyone online) contribute their $0.02 to the setting?

Dammit derm, you ninja'd me. I'll read that later.

I will do the postscripts 1st

1. Voyance means seeing, clair in this case means remote. So clairvoyance means remote-seeing hydro-voyance, /aqua-voyance would be the capacity to see using water. there is another suffix that means sensing, although I can't remember it right now.
2. Gotta agree with the others, present time, don't care too much about actual location, unless you are willing to make it Brisbane, but I doubt that.

ok, on to my character stuff

1. Where did Matt go, having accidentally (if not regretfully) subdued these rapists with hydrokinesis and discovering himself to be blind?
   - He tried to find his way home, the totality of what had happened not hitting home yet, besides his sister needed his paycheck.
2. How did Matt explain suddenly not being able to read or anything like that?
   - As close to the truth as he dared, He tried to stop a rape (by dialing the cops not getting physically involved) but they found him and dunked him in the polluted river, the pollutants burned his eyes badly enough that he can barely see shadows and lights
3. Did Matt do anything special to prepare for some kind of cape career?
   - Not really no, he was trying his best not to think about it.
4. If so, what was his plan there?
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2013, 09:40:17 am »

(( I'm pretty sure you're fine on the voyance naming scheme. although the specific example you mentioned I think would mean the ability to sense water.

A lot of people want to have an alternate universe/ alternate history. I think there are a few factors worth considering. The first is the difficulty of creation. I assume creating a world as detailed as the wormverse isn't easy. The second is "interesting-ness." Generally speaking, settings conveniently with lots of conflict are more interesting.

Doomblade bypassed the difficulty of creating a new universe by just making a permutation of the wormverse. If you want a specific location. I would make ballpark estimates of the likelyhood of all the characters being in particular locations in the world and then rolling a percentile die or use a program that outputs a probability with a floating point precision if you need the extra resolution. for instance even though there are more parahumans in africa and other third world countries(therefore increasing the chance of the setting being there)None of the characters express traits or histories that are likely to happen in this part of the world (decreasing the chance rapidly.)

That leaves the settings location on the timeline. A point in time where there are lots of factions and lots of differing intentions locking against each other. Another vague suggestion, I know, but given that you guys are probably not going to interact with cannon the timing doesn't matter much.

tl;dr: nothing concrete but generally a setting with lots of conflict and a time with lots of opposing factions.

edit: teh grammars
))

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:53:21 am by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2013, 09:54:16 am »

I'm open to any setting really, I just hope i can read faster than spoilers start :P
As long as you read at least a chapter or two a day and we don't go a lot faster than I anticipate, you should be good. There's always a (slim) chance that, say, Eidolon or the head of the PRT somehow gets captured by one of the players and has to reveal his/her secrets, but I doubt it.

2. Gotta agree with the others, present time, don't care too much about actual location, unless you are willing to make it Brisbane, but I doubt that.
I'll count that as one vote for Brisbane.

A lot of people want to have an alternate universe/ alternate history. I think there are a few factors worth considering. The first is the difficulty of creation. I assume creating a world as detailed as the wormverse isn't easy. The second is "interesting-ness." Generally speaking, settings conveniently with lots of conflict are more interesting. Doomblade bypassed the difficulty of creating a new universe by just making a permutation of the wormverse.
Which is why I'm glad that the "average" choice for "scenario" was roughly that.

If you want a specific location. I would make ballpark estimates of the likelyhood of all the characters being in particular locations in the world and then rolling a percentile die. for instance even though there are more parahumans in africa and other third world countries(therefore increasing the chance of the setting being there)None of the characters express traits or histories that are likely to happen in this part of the world (decreasing the chance rapidly.)
I'll count that as a waitlister's vote for "Random".

That leaves the settings location on the timeline. A point in time where there are lots of factions and lots of differing intentions locking against each other. Another vague suggestion, I know, but given that you guys are probably not going to interact with cannon the timing doesn't matter much.
Lots of conflict, huh? That narrows it down to...significantly-inhabited parts of Earth.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:44 am »

Following the death of her mother and half-brother, Elena was sent to live with her biological father, a man that she knew nothing about, had nothing in common with and who saw her as a nuisance.  As her mother and brother had been clearly stabbed to death by her hand she was brought to juvenile court to discuss what had happened.  After viewing the scarring covering her body, the judge ruled the deaths to be self defense and set her up with court ordered therapy.

By this point, Elena had a decent grip on her powers.  She was beginning to understand that her power showed emotions by desaturating the color in most of the world and tinting everyone in sight a different color depending on a number of factors, the most prominent being emotion.  However, her power also showed her what she could do with that information.  In Elena's eyes, her own skin was a vibrant, shifting rainbow of energy that could pulse, and subtly alter the tinting of those in her field of view.  After testing it on her father a few times, she realized that, with enough pulses, it could entirely alter emotional states and mindsets.

She wanted the feeling of having a family again, so she tried to turn her father's indifference to love.  Having never really felt the love of a parent to a child before, she botched it.  She was relocated to a foster home after the incident with her father and for the first time in her life, made friends.  She did well in school, her power helped.  Her first real boyfriend was kind, no bullies thought to mess with her, and the friends she made were true.  Or so she thought.

Elena had, in fact been influencing them and following a week and a half where she had the flu, she returned to school to find that they hardly even wanted to speak to the girl with the scarred body.  Her boyfriend had begun cheating on her two days after she left him alone.  In a rage, she went to the principal and "convinced" him to hold an assembly.  Though she attempted to pulse everyone in the room, her power was overwhelmed and those she missed noticed the change in the others.  When the police came, she broke down, cried and let herself be dragged away, much to the bewilderment of her "friends."

Her therapy continues and, because nothing she did with her power was explicitly harmful, she serves in this universes equivalent of the Wards, in a different city, under probation.

OOC: I hope you don't mind me further fleshing out my power, adding limits and defining how it works.  I also apologize for how long that story is, I hope it answered your questions.

Quick questions,
I expected the change from biological processes to emotions (Cherish and TT style characters are the ones who have made the Wormverse go round for me), I like it, but do I still buff other capes?
What do you think my power makes me in terms of cape rating?

Since the majority is pulling for an alternate universe entirely, I would like to state my preference, which can be completely discounted as I have no real preference, as being socially like LA and artistically if it had flourished in and during Renaissance Europe.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:04 am »

I'd complain about how my chosen attributes and my trigger don't mesh that well
Would you mind complaining about this hypothetical complaint?

I'll make it work. Biomedical... Oh! Retrovirus Genetic Modification! Dude the things you can do with retroviruses. See? Already working out great.
Granted this is all tempered by the fact that I actually have a character and should probably align my actions through her mindset.
Yeah, try not to get classified as a Class-S threat.

3. If you used your power, where did you find materials?
I made the brain scanner out of a toaster, a potato, three towels and the cat.
'Whats that fluffles? She has a tumor?'
"Meow."
Okay, three things.
1. I was asking: If you made Tinker stuff in this interludey montagey thing, where did you get materials? The answer is "the PRT," in this case, because you contracted work for them.
2. Tinker abilities function on (relatively) real science, so you would need a bit more. However...
3. The image of a literal Cat Scanner is rather amusing.

Having never really felt the love of a parent to a child before, she botched it.  She was relocated to a foster home after the incident with her father...
What a cheerful past.

She did well in school, her power helped.
Helped with what?

Her therapy continues and, because nothing she did with her power was explicitly harmful, she serves in this universes equivalent of the Wards, in a different city, under probation.
*mentally compares her to Canary*
Yeah, not too bad. Pretty strict probation terms, though, with a fair chance of going to this universe's equivalent of the Birdcage if she puts more than a toe out of line.

OOC: I hope you don't mind me further fleshing out my power, adding limits and defining how it works.  I also apologize for how long that story is, I hope it answered your questions.
That's fine. Nothing seemed too bad. The biggest potential issue was trying to influence the whole crowd, but as that failed I decided to let it slide.

Quick questions,
I expected the change from biological processes to emotions (Cherish and TT style characters are the ones who have made the Wormverse go round for me), I like it, but do I still buff other capes?
Nope. Maybe you'll be able to do stuff like that if you have a second trigger event.
(And having a power that is basically a crude, ranged Panacea with a dash of Bonesaw and Cherish would be a bit OP.)

Master, definitely. Not as potent as Canary, so...maybe 5 tops?

Since the majority is pulling for an alternate universe entirely, I would like to state my preference, which can be completely discounted as I have no real preference, as being socially like LA and artistically if it had flourished in and during Renaissance Europe.
That sounds...kind of interesting. To clarify, you mean like one of the European cities that flourished in and during the Renaissance, and not a flourishing LA Renaissance, correct?

She was running away from Emily and her cronies, they had found out about her scars, her hated scars! And were ready to take advantage of bullying her about something she had wanted to forget for the last two years. She was cornered, trapped, they were ready to torment her. And then she cracked. When she came to, they were all dead save Emily, who Selina was holding a rusted bloody knife to her throat. She stopped, dropping the knife in horrified silence before running, and running, and running. She got to a park and groans as she hid among the leaves of a dense pine tree, her legs were burning, she was a criminal... she had killed people... cut them to pieces... Emily had almost died to... She silently cried for the rest of the day.
What did Selina do about the fact that she had multiple counts each of murder and murder with a parahuman ability, plus a count of assault with a parahuman ability, especially with a witness able to identify her? That's the kind of thing that gets you sent to jail if you're lucky.
Sig

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2013, 10:44:10 am »

What did Selina do about the fact that she had multiple counts each of murder and murder with a parahuman ability, plus a count of assault with a parahuman ability, especially with a witness able to identify her? That's the kind of thing that gets you sent to jail if you're lucky.
Well, it's Selina, so cried. And stuttered. And probably fainted.
Oh wait, that's not what you meant.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2013, 11:17:16 am »

((bwahaha! yes, me and the other waitlisters will be silently judging these parahumans from the safety of our computer screens. I wouldn't give Selina such a hard time. After all she just killed the last people who did. So whatever weak personality traits you think she has, may be mistaken.
))
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2013, 11:32:43 am »

Selina was hiding out in the slums of [insert city] in total seclusion. She was terrified, broken, and wanted to die. She had no where to go, no one who would believe her... she was just another person every hero was out to get now... she wished she had the courage to kill herself, but she couldn't, wouldn't. She resigned herself to staying in a run down/destroyed building, cold, alone, and without any comfort. She would die out here... but no one would care, no one would mourn, another statistic on a wall of the lost.

((bwahaha! yes, me and the other waitlisters will be silently judging these parahumans from the safety of our computer screens. I wouldn't give Selina such a hard time. After all she just killed the last people who did. So whatever weak personality traits you think she has, may be mistaken.))
((It takes a little time for me to flesh out characters as I usually rush the sign-ups. I also like revealing backstory throughout the story because I can't thin of every reaction she'd have to those memories coming up as its all circumstantial. But right now, shes close to trying to starve herself.))
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:39:16 am by RangerCado »
[/quote]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2013, 11:59:46 am »

Selina was hiding out in the slums of [insert city] in total seclusion. She was terrified, broken, and wanted to die. She had no where to go, no one who would believe her... she was just another person every hero was out to get now... she wished she had the courage to kill herself, but she couldn't, wouldn't. She resigned herself to staying in a run down/destroyed building, cold, alone, and without any comfort. She would die out here... but no one would care, no one would mourn, another statistic on a wall of the lost.
Two things.
1. On the bright side, the heroes will have much bigger priorities than the orphan who killed some kids a while back. Like currently-active supervillains.
2. I'm tempted to start with an Endbringer attack, just to collect everyone (and partly to get Selina out of her mood).

Anyways, I've reached a conclusion.
Empiricist, I'm sorry, but I can't come up with a good power right now. And like I said earlier, there were a lot of good applications. So, Scood, good news: You're in! Writing up a description...
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:11 pm »

Fair enough to the first point, though shes terrified so she'll think worse case scenario.

I have no idea what 2 is, and i'm almost on the third chapter.
[/quote]

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

Having never really felt the love of a parent to a child before, she botched it.  She was relocated to a foster home after the incident with her father...
What a cheerful past.

She did well in school, her power helped.
Helped with what?

*mentally compares her to Canary*
Yeah, not too bad. Pretty strict probation terms, though, with a fair chance of going to this universe's equivalent of the Birdcage if she puts more than a toe out of line.

That's fine. Nothing seemed too bad. The biggest potential issue was trying to influence the whole crowd, but as that failed I decided to let it slide.

Quick questions,
Nope. Maybe you'll be able to do stuff like that if you have a second trigger event.
(And having a power that is basically a crude, ranged Panacea with a dash of Bonesaw and Cherish would be a bit OP.)

Master, definitely. Not as potent as Canary, so...maybe 5 tops?

That sounds...kind of interesting. To clarify, you mean like one of the European cities that flourished in and during the Renaissance, and not a flourishing LA Renaissance, correct?
Alright, so quickly glancing over a table of average number of high school students per school per state, Elena attempted to influence about 700 people, failing miserably lets say she hit about 10% of them, 70 people with half of those being people she had already interacted with that day.  Being that she was stressed at the time, her normal effect would have shorter range and be unable to influence as many people at once or as quickly.  So I'm thinking, on a normal day, 12 or 13 people can have their emotional state completely rewired over about a 30 minute period at a range of 50ft within line of sight.  This still feels OP, but then again mind (or body, as Regent calls his) control is always OP.  Any other limits you want to place will be perfectly fine. 

I agree with regards to rating and effects.  That power helping with school line was me being tired and forgetting what I was saying.

With regards to location, just give the city some meaningful monument that can be destroyed.  It doesn't even have to be renaissance style.  Think of all the times that the golden gate bridge has been destroyed in movies.  It is always awesome.  I'm just thinking, big city, big monuments. Also, all of that can be ignored for your own vision, you are the GM after all.

@Cado
You are in for a treat then.  You will get a good sense of what they are around in the 8th arc.  I'm confused, are you on the 3rd chapter in gestation or in the Agitation arc?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:11:30 pm by MrVoid »
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 137