Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad wont enter Danger Room  (Read 1860 times)

Kirka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Squad wont enter Danger Room
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:58:43 am »

Hello.  Have a big problem. I have built and set up 1x4 danger room, ordered my squad with m key to enter it, squad comes near the room and despite my repeated demands, dwarves wont enter the room and just sit 2-3 tiles away from the Danger Room.

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad wont enter Danger Room
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:10 am »

Could they be in a burrow that does not include the danger room?
Alternatively, create a burrow for only the danger room and assign your squad to it via the alerts subsection of the military interface.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:46 am »

Use a burrow? The move command really only tells them to go stand near that spot, not directly on that spot.

Edit: Partially ninja'd

Kirka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:45 am »

Use a burrow? The move command really only tells them to go stand near that spot, not directly on that spot.

Edit: Partially ninja'd

I noticed that.  Beside burrows, is there any way to send dwarves to be directly on the spot you want them to be on?

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 12:14:14 pm »

Ensure that the squad does not have anywhere else to stand.  Either build walls around the danger room 3-4 tiles thick or dig a new area with walls 3-4 tiles thick.  This should be done anytime you want to force military dwarves to stand in a specific area.  Using moats or building on top of a wall or platform where there is air surrounding the danger room (with walls to prevent falling) can also work.  Just make sure that dwarves cannot path to open ground around the target.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 01:23:55 pm »

To be specific, (at least this is what I've been told), station orders are treated as "stand within 3 tiles of this spot". So if your danger room is 1x4, you could order them to station themselves at the far end. Assuming you don't have corridors immediately to the sides, or dug out space behind the danger room.

Kirka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:20:39 pm »

That should definitely work then.  Thank you for all your help!!!

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »

To be specific, (at least this is what I've been told), station orders are treated as "stand within 3 tiles of this spot". So if your danger room is 1x4, you could order them to station themselves at the far end. Assuming you don't have corridors immediately to the sides, or dug out space behind the danger room.

I thought it was 7. That's why I always make mine 7x7.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:18:19 pm »

I have two methods that I use to ensure entry into a danger room:

-Make sure that there are no pathable tiles beyond those where the Spear-traps are at.  This is cheaper than setting up 49 trap tiles.  You'll only need a 1x4 area, then make sure everything else within a radius of 3 is either walls or walled-off.

-Use a barracks whose furniture item is behind a locked door which is "set as Internal".  Make the barracks designation extend just a short ways beyond the door, so that the only accessible barracks tiles are plain ground which you can place spear-traps on.  Any squad ordered to "Train" there will try to confine itself to these tiles, and if they dodge off them will walk back.

The first way is more controllable, but the second is more hands-off.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:39 am »

Alternatively, use this design:

XXXXX
XAdSD
XXXXX

Where:

X: wall
A: armour stand/weapon stand with barracks designated covering all shown area.
d: Door, set to internal, forbidden
S: your upright spears
D: Door, set to tightly closed

Then have the squad set to train in this barracks. All dwarves will stand on the single accessible tile (where your spears are) to train.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:20:26 am »

I thought it was 7. That's why I always make mine 7x7.

Well, "within 3 tiles" (including the 3rd tile) translates to a 7x7 room, if you order them stationed in the middle. 4x7 or 4x4 would be ok sizes too, besides the 1x4. You just have to have solid stone/soil (for 3 tiles) behind the walls that the "station point" is adjacent to.

If it was 7, you'd need a 15x15 room to be able to station them in the middle.