Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Opulence or functionality?  (Read 4314 times)

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Opulence or functionality?
« on: September 21, 2013, 02:51:48 pm »

I've recently struck a very large amount of gold in my fort Confined Halls, and have now been immediately switching priorities from chugging out clay crafts studded with chicken bones to clay crafts studded with gold. I've created an elaborate maze filled with traps and a barracks filled with legendary axedwarves that leads to a vault filled with golden statues, gold coffers, and large amounts of minted gold coins. There's a pressure plate inside that closes the steel vault door behind a potential thief and fills the room with lava, which is pumped through golden "pipes".

I'm also working on making golden royal bedrooms for all the original 7, which golden furniture, floors, and walls. The fort itself has a golden road leading to it lined with golden statues of the broker to the golden depot where people can buy golden crafts.

Basically, this entire fortress is revolving around showing off how excessively rich Dwarven civilization is. Eventually I hope to give all my dwarves candy clothes just to piss off jealous humans even more.

What do you guys do with your fort when you find valuable ores? Do you focus on making your entire fort as fancy as possible, or just spare it for a few nobles and continue forcing your dwarves to live in squalor while all the gold is turned into trade goods to buy more Prepared Bumblebee Brains?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Opulence or functionality?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »

...a vault filled with golden statues, gold coffers, and large amounts of minted gold coins. There's a pressure plate inside that closes the steel vault door behind a potential thief and fills the room with lava, which is pumped through golden "pipes".

This sounds like a perfect plan. I fully endorse this and see no way it could go wrong.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »

Urist McMetalworker goes insane: All masterwork items destroyed at once.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »

Urist McMetalworker goes insane: All masterwork items destroyed at once.

Considering all the traps it takes to get there and the fact the lever to open the vault door is inside the barracks of the captain of the guard, I'm confident a simple kobold won't manage to get through security.  :D

Maybe when the fort dies and I'm and adventurer... That would be a different story.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 03:50:34 pm »

Golden "pipes"...

Are we talking a corridor lined with gold walls, or a series of rising screwpumps made out of golden blocks, golden pipes, and... I guess you could briefly mod gold to be a weapon material, so you can have golden corkscrews as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 04:08:28 pm »

Golden "pipes"...

Are we talking a corridor lined with gold walls, or a series of rising screwpumps made out of golden blocks, golden pipes, and... I guess you could briefly mod gold to be a weapon material, so you can have golden corkscrews as well.
Corridor lined with gold walls, last I checked you cant pump liquid through the actual pipes, just make pumps with them.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:09:59 pm »

That's why I said ' "pipes" ' and not ' pipes '. :P
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 04:43:16 pm »

I'm especially happy if i have platinum or aluminium on site, not least because even if you do have those metals, the amounts will be small to moderate. So aluminium wheelbarrows and minecarts and furniture remain special, because you can't make a few hundred of them. Platinum is also magma-proof, so you can make pipes and blocks for your pumps from it, as well as floodgates, hatches and doors (and mechanisms from platinum nuggets if you want).

But gold... well, it's pretty valuable, but it also as an annoying habit of being common as dirt. I've built golden roads, lined with golden statues, put a golden statue on every level (~120 total) of the fort and studded everything near the forges with gold. And then i went on to alloy gold with copper/silver to make rose gold and black bronze, for a bit of colour variation.
In one gold-rich fort i've taken up the habit of sending each caravan off with a golden _statue_ or three, just for the preposterous mental image.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »

unlike platinum and aluminum, gold is usually found in veins, making it quite common.

dwarves actually think gold is worthless since it can't be used to make weapons and is quite common. moreover, it isn't magma safe, ruining its potential as magma controlling floodgates. they call it fool's limonite, a valuable iron rich metal used to make steel. its sole value is it's shine and lustre, which dwarves think looks nice as decoration.

however, humans think of gold as beyond valuable and will gladly trade 3 bars of iron for the price of one gold bar. while puzzling to most dwarves, experienced ones simply accept it and will gladly trade their gold for iron, snickering at the gullibility of humans behind their backs.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 02:34:00 am »

Golden "pipes"...

Corridor lined with gold walls, last I checked you cant pump liquid through the actual pipes, just make pumps with them.

the way it reverberates is staggering

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 02:48:10 am »

Mostly functionality on my side. I had a few bad experiences, starting to smooth out floors and walls while not realizing that I'd forgotten to build a still. I also tend not to build kitchens, since it saves time to just have my dwarves eat plump helmets/prepared meat directly instead of constantly having the kitchens produce meals.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 09:26:44 am »

I've recently struck a very large amount of gold in my fort Confined Halls, and have now been immediately switching priorities from chugging out clay crafts studded with chicken bones to clay crafts studded with gold. I've created an elaborate maze filled with traps and a barracks filled with legendary axedwarves that leads to a vault filled with golden statues, gold coffers, and large amounts of minted gold coins. There's a pressure plate inside that closes the steel vault door behind a potential thief and fills the room with lava, which is pumped through golden "pipes".

I'm also working on making golden royal bedrooms for all the original 7, which golden furniture, floors, and walls. The fort itself has a golden road leading to it lined with golden statues of the broker to the golden depot where people can buy golden crafts.

Basically, this entire fortress is revolving around showing off how excessively rich Dwarven civilization is. Eventually I hope to give all my dwarves candy clothes just to piss off jealous humans even more.

What do you guys do with your fort when you find valuable ores? Do you focus on making your entire fort as fancy as possible, or just spare it for a few nobles and continue forcing your dwarves to live in squalor while all the gold is turned into trade goods to buy more Prepared Bumblebee Brains?

I had a fort that had a gigantic supply of both copper and zinc ore. Combined that makes brass.
My third migrant wave contained a near-legendary metalsmith who had a preference for statues. I gave him the custom title of "Brassmaster" and set him to churn out brass statues on repeat.

Built a jewelers shop right next to it to encrust all of them with whatever I had handy. Everyone got a bass statue in their bedroom and my dining room was quickly legendary. Any statues made of vermin got traded for big profits.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 10:02:10 am »

I suggest updating public property such as the dining hall to solid gold tables and chairs. Your non-noble dwarves won't care that they sleep in a slum if they get to eat in a legendary dining hall.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 10:43:51 am »

Indiana Kobold and the Ambushers of the Lost Fortress.

Triple-Dwarf Film. Would watch again. The film critics say is, "Better than avatar," "There are no words. Here's my life savings," and "I need to change my Xxrope reed fiber trousersxX."
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 03:29:48 am »

I actually don't use precious metals for much. Statues for the tombs of my favored few (rarely nobles, but there is some overlap) and sometimes furniture for the office-holders, just to meet their room quality requirements. The depot generally is composed of the three most valuable non-weapons-grade metal bars I have on hand when I move it from the temporary starting location to its new home in the tradinghouse. If I have large amounts of deco-grade metals I'll also make the road and drawbridge with them as well.

Other than that, non-weapons metals don't get much use in my forts. I have this thing about making objects out of 'appropriate' materials, but never get around to making any designs for which metal construction/furnishings would be 'appropriate.'
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.
Pages: [1] 2