Oh god, how do I get rid of this poll

I don't know
- 0 (0%)
I won't tell you
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 27, 2013, 08:30:18 pm

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play Grit Fortress: Truthdoors  (Read 4706 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Grit Fortress: Truthdoors
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 06:48:34 pm »

Keep trying to reclaim the original Truthdoors. Also, you probably could have reclaimed the picks with wooden screwpumps, but that would have been a pain in the ass.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »

I think I'll do a reclaim completely OOC (at least for now) to demonstrate the realities of Truthdoors to those fortunate to be unitiated to the sheer monstrosity of this fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The wildlife. They HUNGER.
Truthdoors is filled with so many Otter Men, Sponge Men, Hippos and Giant Sponges (giant spongii?) that the fabric of time cannot cope. I mean, Armok have mercy. And this is before undead periodically migrate into the map and turn them into so many mangled, angry corpses. The undead also migrate onto the map at a rate of about 20 per in-game day.
So yeah, it's literally impossible to settle the map at this point without using DFhack to kill the zombies as you'll be crushed under the sheer weight of the undead giant moths on the 1st of Granite.
Also thank god this mod has measures in it to increase framerate or we'd have a solid 1 fps here.

The pathfinding has been broken. I get thousands upon thousands of job cancellation spams for stockpiles and fields I can't even see, so have no way of forbidding. The dwarfs are actually refusing to do simple labour for apparently no reason.

So, I used DFhack to reveal everything to see if this would solve pathfinding. Still, this failed to make the dwarfs do any jobs. De-enabling and re-enabling does nothing.

So, I'll try to fix the pathfinding by killing all non-dwarven entities! Which is a convenient way to do a census of the population. We had;

At this point I give up because there's just too many types of creature on this map.
Finally, something gives, and we can suddenly haul again. Still, progress is slow (even with fastdwarfs) because undead are literally showing up so fast that everytime I type in slayrace undead another 6 have spawned.
Again, hauling mysteriously stops working. I have no idea why this is happening, because there's no real reason. We still have work to be done, and everyone can do it, but they don't. No burrows are on. Hauling will continue to mysteriously turn on and off for no discernable reason.

Since this isn't a "real" reclaim and we're going to abandon again, I've decided to dig out a room for all items on the map, seal it up behind a wall and flood it with magma. Hopefully getting rid of all of those items will help.

On another note, it turns out there is not one, not two, but 3 adamantine spires on this map! Yaaaaaay.

So yeah. I'm trying to see if I can clean up this map to the point that it becomes playable. It may or may not. Let's hope so.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 05:07:40 pm »

Well then. More news from the clean up;

Ghosts, understandably, and incredibly numerous. One killed one of my dwarfs. So, I've started work memorializing them.
To try and reduce clutter we've also commissioned more bins. Cleanup remains slow; dwarfs continue to idle for no real reason when there's work to be done.
The undead continue to show up at an ungodly rate.

I cleaned up all contaminants on the map to try and speed things up. We had a metric ton of spilled booze and blood everywhere.
Hauling continues to be disrupted by seemingly random decisions to not do anything and farmers endless twiddling their thumbs because they don't have seeds to plant.
Dwarfs continue to refuse to put food in the proper pots. I switched to barrel production to see if that helped. It doesn't. Reclaim mode is really bugged. I think next time I'll use DFhack to save the fort as a layer (preventing item scatter) and forcing an embark there.

A big drain on progress is my dwarfs randomly deciding they're webbed. I could build a loom and turn all the webs into silk, but there have to be some limits.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 02:30:15 am »

"lair" not "layer".  While they sound similar, DFhack won't respond to "layer".  Also, DFhack's, "clean map" is good to use before invoking "lair".
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:41 am »

After I clean up the fort (immolate the evidence of playthroughs past! NONE MUST WITNESS) I'll do another serious reclaim.
Just... goddamn. This map should not exist. It's like the Rhy'leh of reclaim mode.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 06:41:50 pm »

It's all those non-cartesian geometries, like the triangles with two 90 degree angles.  Raises the dead every time.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 07:04:29 pm »

It's all those non-cartesian geometries, like the triangles with two 90 degree angles.  Raises the dead every time.

The triangles with three right angles are the tricky part. I knew I shouldn't have started pushing corpses outside reality using bridges. Why were they even designed to do that. DAMN YOU YOUR ETERNAL MAJESTY

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »

:P

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 03:13:06 pm »

:P

this hurts my brain ;-;
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 04:39:05 pm »

The Map is now too corrupted to use.
GG.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 04:41:04 pm »

Well it was good while it lasted.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 01:40:30 pm »

Well it was good while it lasted.
Goodnight hellishly overpopulated sponge infested zombie ravished poorly designed sweet fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]