Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The pressure to improve is making me john the caveman.  (Read 6201 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The pressure to improve is making me sick.
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2013, 04:57:11 am »

*high-fives* FFS

That's exactly the same as my life philosophy. Helping others.

The only thing I've noticed that doesn't change, is the sincerity people have when they're helped by a generous hand-where 'generous' is a holistic and benevolent term-the smile and gesture of appreciation (and even without that, there are hints on that in body language) is what to live for.

On another note, I've never understood why hashtags are used..everywhere. Some are for searching, others are just..labels. Labels labels labels. Blank labels wherein no context is given. Which usually leads to misinterpretation. :/

Anywhoo, feeling better, FFS?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 08:24:23 am »

Well, I'm glad that you could say all that FFS, it really helps.

Well, you noticed that being successful doesn't mean being happy. Success only means improving your odds of surviving, not getting reason to live.

I want to tell you an allegory I just created:

In the beggining, there were two cavemans: Bob and John

-Bob was happy with his life, so he ate what he could, slept under the stars, and spent most of his time singing.

-John was really insecure, so he used to spend his time amassing huge amounts of food, building impressive shelters, making weapons, investigating the nature to find better ways to manipulate it, etc.

What happened to both of them?

Bob's fate:
-He died from thirst and hunger, when a drought arrived.
-The wolves ate him for not having a shelter
-John saw him as a threat and killed him.

John's fate:
-He had plenty of food he didn't have time to really enjoy.
-He was mostly alone in a huge shelter.
-He didn't enjoy anything in life.

Now, the question is, who survided to have children? Well, the answer is fairly obvious: unhappy John (not only because he was the only alive, but because he could maintain a woman in his shelter). And we are all his descendants, because every Bob that existed ended up happily dead.

What does all this story mean? You have figured it out already, evolution and the survival of the stronger sucks, and what may seem the obvious way to live is not the best one at all.

Anyway, that was in the past. Now, with the huge progress we have made, we are still trying to "keep going foward", but we don't have any idea of what "foward" means. Are we happier than some thousand years ago? The answer is probably no. Then, why do we keep getting unhappier? Because we have never meant to be happy, but a clever mind would probably realize that without happiness here is no sense in life.

I hope this helps you to consider some things, FFS.

((@weird: there are many incorrect things in your list of Spanish words, but I'm too lazy to correct them all))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:59 am »

Bob's fate:
I'm assuming that after coming back from the dead twice  John finally wised up to Bob's true nature, and proceeded to stake him and bury him at a crossorads?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2013, 11:06:47 am »

Bob's fate:
I'm assuming that after coming back from the dead twice  John finally wised up to Bob's true nature, and proceeded to stake him and bury him at a crossorads?

*giggles*  I love that interpretation!  I read it as, he died from thirst and hunger, during a drought - the wolves ate his corpse, and John could have saved him, having food and some environmental control, but did not because he saw Bob as a threat (Bob should have sung more peaceful songs, perhaps, and maybe some that praised and wished good fortune to John as well).  Since John could have saved Bob, but chose not too, effectively John killed Bob.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 11:29:36 am »

I was just enumerating the different causes from which Bob could have died, as he represents a group of people.

And John killed him because he was insecure.

But, well, that interpretation cause some laughs anyway.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 11:57:57 am »

Well, the truth is, I've never seen someone go from John to Bob and vica versa. It's a nice example, but optimism/cynicism is probably a combination of both environmental and genetic factors rather than purely a choice one makes. I'll work toward being more easygoing, but it's difficult.

@Tiruin: Hashtags originated in popular use on IRC for things like #bay12lb. Often times, channel names were just a topic, like #fantasyroleplay or #msoffice. Social networks picked them up and they kind of became a way for people to find stuff said about a topic in real time.

And yes, I feel better. Well... not really, not until I get out of this rut. But at least I now know it's a rut and can work toward getting out of it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 01:45:47 pm »

People turn from John to Bob, usually after some sort of mental breakdown or traumatic episode, where they wake up one morning and realize they have been living THE SAME EXACT DAY for 30 years.

Among the various colloquialisms, it is often called a "Midlife crisis".

How people react and respond to a midlife crisis is as varied as are the people who experience it.  I have even heard of people selling everything they have and moving out into the sticks of a foreign country where their currency has outrageous buying power, on the extreme end of the spectrum.

The reason you dont really hear about it, and why midlife crisis is often depicted "humorously", or even as something for weak willed people, is because the mainstream media is the POSTER CHILD for the BS profit motive way of doing things, and injects its propaganda into EVERYTHING it touches.

It is VERY easy to go overboard on the transition; the sensation of feeling the mental shackles come off is... Well... I'd put it as possibly the most pleasurable experience possible, short of electrodes jammed into your pleasure centers. This can override people's rational minds, and make them forget about balance in their new outlooks on life, and they fall into decadent hedonism. Hedonism is very bad for you, and it wears your body out, makes you dead ass broke, and leaves you with very little to show for it. 

Personally, I enjoy helping people also. I do limited amounts of computer repair just for free. I look at it this way: The world is a stressful enough place as it is, and doesn't need me adding to it by charging for a simple repair that consists of pushing some buttons. As long as this kind of thing isnt habitual for the recipient, and stays one-off in nature, I am happy to oblige if they have a problem. They are often shocked, and try to make me take some form of payment. Really, I dont need any. Fixing the computer is just an excuse to stretch old mental muscles so they dont atrophy, AND do a good turn at the same time. Win win.

I have a somewhat conflicted nature, as I enjoy helping people, but DESPISE clingy people, who "Constantly need help."

This is how I derived the "Profit motive bullshit test"; introspection on this superficially conflicting impulse.  For me, 3 rounds of PC repair in 1 year (same person) is enough to make me unhappy doing the work, and to refuse after that.  If they have a kid that keeps breaking it, I very seriously (but not rudely) let them know that they need to really have a discussion with their kid about taking care of what they own, and that charity is a voluntary thing, since as soon as it becomes expected and demanded, it becomes slavery. (A "Forced donation" isnt a donation at all. it's extortion and robbery.) This is usually right before doing the work for the 3rd time, and is basically the warning that I WONT fix it again. It is very easy for people who are struggling with resources and time to co-opt other people's time and resources without even really thinking about it. They arent purposefully being douchebags, it just works out that way in the end, as they struggle under pressures too. It's important to remember that.  But, it is also just as important that you set your boundries, and protect them, especially if you want to do charitable work activities on a regular basis. A volunteer that shows up every day is still a volunteer; not a slave. Each day they show up is a gift, not something to expect or depend on.

Because of this tendency to grow reliant on the good will of others, if they can get it, many charitable workers will offset the risk of this happening by constant travel in their charitable actions. Itinerant charities dont stick around, so the people who they help cant become reliant upon them.  However, some things cant be fixed easily by a one-off quick fix, like helping people with knowledge.  It's costly to discover something, but once it is discovered, it is often almost painless to convey that knowledge to others so that they can get benefit from that expenditure too. (a high but finite cost, distributed over infinite people, averages to an infinitesimally small quantity! A real bargain! Hoarding knowledge is for stupid people, who see only the short term!) Knowledge that makes life better by freeing people from drudgery to life fuller, happier lives is the greatest treasure in the universe, because you can keep giving it away, forever, and it never gets diminished. But, it takes time to convey that knowledge, which means sticking around, and potentially falling into the "dependence" trap. (The problem is that EACH AND EVERY TIME humanity has partially slipped the bonds of such drudgery, "The system" (the mass collection of the profit driven demographic of people) have seen other people enjoying free time and life, and had a conniption fit over how much more THEY could make if all that time were spent making THEM richer instead--- Happened after the industrial age, as the creation of automated looms freed countless textile workers from the textile mills--- only for them to become wage slaves under the reprisal of the market. Again with the green revolution in agriculture, with the discovery of pesticides and chemical fertilizers, freeing millions of people from subsistence farming--- but now they have to spend 9-5 in a cubicle doing grunt work of a different kind. Obviously a REAL improvement! Just ask their bosses! They make WAAAY more money now! The real lesson here, is that humanity needs to STOP LISTENING to the profit driven people. The profit driven people DO NOT have their best interests in mind, and NEVER will.) Such people see happy people sitting on a porch, talking with their neighbors while drinking tea, watching the sun set and talking about their day, as "Wasted potential".  Potential for what? Profit. THEIR profit.  They see an empty lot filled with grass, and see it as wasted potential, as it COULD be a parking lot instead, oh-- or a strip mall! Or tract housing! They genuinely DO NOT see the value in leaving the field of flowers and grass, well enough alone. They dont see the butterflies flittering about. They dont imagine kids playing and hiding in the grass, having a good time. They dont see birds or the flowers.  All they see is how much money they COULD be making, if it were tilled under, and then commercialized. They see condos, they see parking lots, they see new school buildings, or high rise apartments. They even see landfils and chemical dumps, instead of the beautiful field in front of them.  I pity their lack of vision. I pity their inability to be content with what they have. and-- I lament that they are driven to enslave and destroy others in that lack of vision. Most of all, I want to cry about how they do this, without even thinking about it, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

To me, the knowledge to "Do more with less", isnt so you can "Have more!"-- it is so you can keep what you have, and retain the unspoiled things around us.  A 500% increase in crop yeild? That doesnt mean you can get 500% crops, thus, can have 500% more people, doing 500% more work, getting you thousands of percents more profits.  It means that for the same number of people, you use 1/5 the land for agriculture, leaving 4/5 to enjoy as it is, and was really meant to be. it means 1/5 the toil needed to eat each night, leaving 4/5 time. Time spent being alive is not time wasted. "Time is money" is a horrible crime of thought. Time is infinitely more valuable than any amount of money. Ask a dieing rich capitalist--- they'd pay any sum for just a few more years of life.  They only learn that lesson, when they have exhausted their supply, and the supply of hundreds or thousands of other people as well, chasing after "Profits," but by then, it's simply too late, isnt it?

THESE are the people that lament as they age-- "If ONLY I had spent more time with my daughter.."  "IF ONLY I had gone to my son's baseball games!" "IF only--- If Only..."  They sacrificed something indescribably precious, for something gaudy and cheap, and forced others to do so as well, by hook or by crook.  I pity them. I wish they would see their mistakes sooner, and become agents against the machine they make and drive.  But, they almost always see it too late in life, when they lack the needed time to set it right--- and, the children they raised, filled with the eternal message to GO GO GO, MORE MORE MORE, take their place, doing exactly the same mistake.

"Whatever grandpa."

How powerless they must feel at the autumn of their lives. So much unfulfilled. So much wasted.

One benefit I suppose, of the absurdly fast pace of the modern world, is that people are experiencing this crisis in their lives in their late 20s now, instead of their late 50s. Maybe there's hope?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2013, 02:25:04 pm »

I am 19 and this thread is my midlife crisis.

Great post, though.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The pressure to improve is making me john the caveman.
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2013, 03:11:50 pm »

Working out kills this type of anxiety

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2013, 03:14:19 pm »

Working out kills this type of anxiety

1-2+ hours a day 5 days a week doesn't do anything for me. I somehow doubt more would help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:27 pm »

I've always found that working out makes me ticked off, because I invariable hurt myself.

I've never gone a day in my life when I haven't hurt myself, because I am unbelievable uncoordinated.

But yes, Bob is dead, and John killed him so he could make babies.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:28 pm »

Well, okay, that's not entirely true about not helping. Running works. If you go fast enough, eventually you will reach a speed where you cannot competently mull over things bothering you until you slow down. It's like a massage.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »

I don't know.

Maybe it's time for you to be the man who leads others.

Be the Abraham.

Or find someone else who can do the stuff you described.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2013, 03:47:24 pm »

That really doesn't make sense... ??? All your posts are really ambiguous and generic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »

I personally prefer artistic pursuits, and deep contemplations on things, and why the turn out the ways they do.

I never stop thinking about things, and can't imagine suspending that aspect of myself. It isn't for everyone. Likewise, going to the gym, or horseplay with ones friends, or going fishing, are all things other people find solace with instead.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6