Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The pressure to improve is making me john the caveman.  (Read 6205 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The pressure to improve is making me sick.
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

So, knowing nothing about spanish except for what I've gleaned from this conversation and my brother's lessons, if I said "¿Dinero por la ropa favor?" would it sound like I wanted to know how much a shirt costs or how lenient the owner is on beggars?

Also, thank you everyone for the amazing replies. I've read everything so far, and it's awesome all the different life perspectives you guys have shared. I'll get around to reply to some of these soon :D

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »

That might get you either slapped, or a goggle eyed stare.

"Money for the clothing favor?" (Kinda sorta.)

Yeah. Ask that of the wrong person, and they might take it the wrong way!

"Por favor" literally means "for favor", or "for a favor". It transliterates to "please".  Without the "por", the intent is ambiguous. Though, as demonstrated, I'm not the best one to ask.

I can clearly see you getting slapped for that though. :)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »

Yeah that makes sense. I wasn't sure about breaking it up like that or using favor at all. "Please" changes the tone of things in more than just English...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2013, 05:39:18 pm »

Yeah that makes sense. I wasn't sure about breaking it up like that or using favor at all. "Please" changes the tone of things in more than just English...

Please already is sort of ambiguously rude in English as it is. In the sense that it is emotional blackmail.

Hence why I prefer not to use it.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 09:39:44 pm »

"Money for the clothing favor?" (Kinda sorta.)
This is accurate. But I think that it can be understood. As always, gestures help a lot (as long as you can do something else than gesture a single word).

What you could say, to mean "How much for this (x)?" is: ¿Cuánto por este/a (x)?

"este/a" is to denote how does the gender change for the word "this" (este: male, esta: female)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »

Please already is sort of ambiguously rude in English as it is. In the sense that it is emotional blackmail.
Hence why I prefer not to use it.
Dang it, I always use please whenever I ask for something, I would have never thought of it like that.
I'm just so used to it, I guess.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »

Wow.. now I'm trying to remember all the words I picked up...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bah. That's enough! It isn't like I actually speak it or anything! LOL! 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:47:35 pm by wierd »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:52 pm »

. . .Great, I'm really remembering how much of our national language is based and is derived from Spanish.

..And thanks for that explanation back there.
How're things holding up FFS?

Also @wierd: You're right on most all of the words you marked with a ?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 10:48:54 pm »

I know absolutely no Spanish. Other than...

Ok, I don't know a word of it.

I do know a bit of French, and maybe 3 or so words I can remember from Chinese.
But hey, I can ask for direction to the bathroom in French. And how to demand a ham sandwich.
Both are equally important.
The Derail Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 10:55:06 pm »

Just as long as I can fare better than the stereotypical american tourist, I am happy. :D

At least I can count! LOL!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 11:02:53 pm »

Just as long as I can fare better than the stereotypical american tourist, I am happy. :D

At least I can count! LOL!
Erm, stereotypical american tourist?

..We're using baselines like those to determine how good we are? O_o

Yes those are 2 separate questions. :p

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »

You have been spared the illiterate, willfully ignorant, loud, obnoxious, overweight, sweaty, and completely intolerable "stereotypical american tourist"?!  WOW!  SO LUCKY!

I do compare myself to that standard, being a US citizen with some sense of shame and self pride. LOL. So many of my countrymen go to other countries on vacation, and make a collossal ass of themselves, that it is seriously a global stereotype. I take great care and go to great lengths to avoid being "that guy."

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:10:51 pm by wierd »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:53 am »

The reply

I sit in bed now, unable to sleep from anxiety about nothing and everything. In six and one half hours, I will need to wa ke up so I can go to work at my main job. I will sit on the computer fixing printer problems, word document formatting and responding to emails for two hours. I will then sit at work for two more hours trying to be useful because other wise my boss grows frustrated and his blood pressure rises and the whole building fills with venom. After that I will go home and complete two homework assignments online. I will go to class after that, do more homework after that, and finally, with a little free time, remember that I need to work on my marketing internship. Then it will be time for bed. Repeat.

My friends will ask me why I do nothing with them.  When I get a little free time, I will remember this and play video games with them for a total of about an hour a week. My mom will say I have not exercised. My grandmother will drop by and tell me that I am lazy and spend all day playing video games on the computer and not working.

Two friends that live nearby will ask when I am coming to set up their audio system. Another will say they never see me any more. I forgot to call back about that computer I was fixing. My college didn't email that transcript and says they didn't get my signature. I didn't meet expectations. I didn't meet expectations. I didnt meet expectations. I didn't meet expectatoons. I didn't update my forum game. I didn't spend quality time with my brother. I didn't meet expectations.

It has a dulling effect. Let me explain.

On the interstate I go too slow. I go the speed limit. Everyone passes me. Someone recently passed to the other lane as I was going 2 over with cruise control. He flipped me the bird as he drove beside me and mouthed off some things. They were not audible. A year ago that would have made me insecure or angry or scared. Instead, I smiled. I smiled and waved. This happened recently with someone blocking me on the highway after tailgating didn't work. Again, I just smiled and waved.

Why did I smile and wave? Because both those people had the look. Their girlfriend needs rent money. They didn't complete the PowerPoint. They didn't go into the right industry for work. They owed student loans. They weren't meeting expectations.  They weren't meeting expectations.

They weren't meeting expectations and no one had thanked them today.  Told them they were loved. No one had smiled and waved at them, so when I did, they gave the most broken, confused, pull over I am going to cry look from across lanes on the highway or wherever.

It was just split seconds.  Maybe it didn't even happen, but I saw myself in two, four, eight years. I will never meet expectations. EVER. They will only get worse.

I think something a lot of people here misunderstand is that other peoples expectations do not affect me much. It is my own inflated expectations that are so poisonous. The problem is that no one lives in a vacuum.  I soak up expectations by watchinfg the suffering of others. Hundreds of friends and family and other people i knowlost their jobs because they couldn'nt meet outrageous expectations and someone elsewhere worked better and cheaper or the store closed or they didn't go to college. You think these people were happy they didn't have to meet expectations as much? Fuck you. They went on antidepressants or welfare or disability or started watching jerry springer. Then more things came. A friend needed money. Their kid wanted to go to college. Expectations never stop coming.

We live in an age of unprecedented speed and access and our brains are not able to handle it. I will not be humble here: I'm a smart kid. I'm smart enough to fully comprehend my responsibilities and guide myself to success. That is why I am sick. That is why many smart people are sick: because they were built to succeed and plan ahead in a world that would otherwise suck them dry.

Responses. Not by user.

The profit motive bullshit test is awesome. On top of other replies I now realize that many expectations are completely in self interest. Even more than they first appear

I cannot lie in bed for 15 minutes and "be." Or rather I can but it does not decrease stress or anxiety. Not even paired with meditation.

I cannot reply to everything. This has become a sounding board for people to express similar stories. That alone is more enlightening and helpful than you'd think.

The people who asked about helping people and the problem with that:

Good.

Freaking.

Question.

If success vs happiness have ever been more at odds... the truth is, there is nothing that makes me happier than helping people.  Literally nothing. that does not mean customer service.  I mean one on one,  head-in-lap life story liquidation. I mean the smile on someone's face when its going to be alright.

Fixing the computer and gaining money are uninteresting and irrelevant.  It's the smile on their face at the end that I really want.  The feeling that someone has been made happier in some way is the most beautiful thing in the world.

So is the IT industry the wrong path? I can't derive enjoyment from programming or solving logic problems like many of you can. If I continue down this path I will continue to sit at a computer all day doing soulless things and having money but no free time. Hell, I don't want to do that!

I ONLY GET ONE LIFE as tomcost kinda said. I don't want to do this! I don't want to spend the rest of my life so exhausted and successful that I don't have the energy to be a strong shoulder or arm when someone needs it! Fuck that. A skill is worth less if you hate it. I want to help people and help with their problems in any way possible and not in some soulless machine and stillsomehow survive doing so.

Thank you for helping tgat realization.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:00 am »

I'm sure we're all glad we could help.

Now go get some YOLO t-shirts.

Actually, don't do that.
The Derail Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 12:48:14 am »

Man screw your expectations. I'm getting a yolo shirt, hashtag and everything. HASHTAG YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6