Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The pressure to improve is making me john the caveman.  (Read 6192 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The pressure to improve is making me john the caveman.
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »

I-I caused a change in the title! That must be the biggest amount of influence I ever had in a thread.

Anyway, a short-term way to be a little more happy is to do sport. Or beat someone in a video game. That increases testosterone, which causes depresssion if there is a lack of it.

-Snip-
I agree with you. People spend all their lives trying to make profit, making people unhappy and not really increasing their own happiness. But, again, that relates to my allegory: people try to have better odds at surviving, not at being happy.

On the other hand, I have to say that the prospect making profit is actually atractive for me, but that may be a special case, as I don't want money, but doing the activity to generate it.
How can I put it? Well, I think that most of you know Minecraft. I liked maing machines to automaticaly make anything, but I didn't want that product, unless it was to make another machine. I liked doing it for the joy of planning and executing a good plan, but not to harness its results. So I ended up getting to a post-scarcity situation with a 5x5x4 hous with a crafting table, an oven, and a bed inside, because I didn't really need anything more. And then I got bored of playing in single player, because I could not help anybody, so I stopped playing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 05:45:38 pm »

Try making a somewhat long-term goal for yourself. You're where I was about your age. Working, going to school, and feeling like you didn't have nearly enough time to yourself. Granted, I didn't feel like people were constantly harping on me, but I think the trick is to have an answer back.

I gave myself some longish term goals. I figured out where I wanted to be in a few years, and I took steps to get there. Sure, there was drudgery along the way, but I could look at the stuff on my list that lead to my goal and go 'See, I'm making progress!'

It can be major things, like working on a particular degree or getting a specific skill set. Or it can be incremental things, like saving up for a car or an apartment of your own. It can even be minor things, like getting an A in a particular class or fulfilling that promise you made to a friend.

But put them down in a list, check them off as you meet them, and let that be your light when things get you down.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 06:56:22 pm »

Try making a somewhat long-term goal for yourself. You're where I was about your age. Working, going to school, and feeling like you didn't have nearly enough time to yourself. Granted, I didn't feel like people were constantly harping on me, but I think the trick is to have an answer back.

I gave myself some longish term goals. I figured out where I wanted to be in a few years, and I took steps to get there. Sure, there was drudgery along the way, but I could look at the stuff on my list that lead to my goal and go 'See, I'm making progress!'

It can be major things, like working on a particular degree or getting a specific skill set. Or it can be incremental things, like saving up for a car or an apartment of your own. It can even be minor things, like getting an A in a particular class or fulfilling that promise you made to a friend.

But put them down in a list, check them off as you meet them, and let that be your light when things get you down.

Thank you for the understanding :) Progress does feel awesome, even the littlest thing. Maybe the skill flailing, progress-minded people really need to learn is completing those goals in the first place...

Anyway, this thread has run its course, and the right track is clearer now. I'll lock it but sincerely thank every one of you for your words, life stories and suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:12:12 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]