Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The pressure to improve is making me john the caveman.  (Read 6198 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The pressure to improve is making me sick.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »

So just do whichever from that list you most feel like doing on a given day.  You don't have to have a schedule or a plan.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »

And if can't figure out how to get from where you are to where you want to be, at least with clear, articulated goals, you can start to plan your route step by step.

How to help people in need?  Get into a position where you can help yourself and still have surplus help left over.  How to help yourself? Review your shortcomings and determine how to improve in those areas.  And so on.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »

As I meantioned earlier, practice things when you feel like practicing them. That really helps a lot.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 03:51:46 pm »

Stop worrying about being successful for a moment and figure out why (or if) you want to be at all. Do you have a family that needs help? Are you interested in helping them, or do you want to work on your own life and skills for a while? Is there some compromise you'd be happy with for both?

Also stop listening to advice as something profound and important and consider - no one knows but you. You do not know. You may never know. That means no one knows. That's fine, it's actually a big part of life, and why it's both exciting and terrible sometimes.

Being unhappy, being 'sick' is pretty normal, for everyone. Yes, that means that sometimes you will be unhappy or lose hope. There is no ideal. Your job isn't necessarily to find or preach that ideal to others, either. It took me a long time to realize that giving advice when it's not wanted can actually hurt people of a certain mindset. It's telling them 'You can't figure this out yourself, so here's my idea about what's wrong with you,' as if something were wrong with them that they weren't headed towards realizing themselves. As if something were wrong with them.

Not to say I have any clue what I'm talking about beyond being pulled in all different directions from time to time. But I think it boils down to respect on all levels - if you're rejecting advice, it's because you'd rather respect yourself enough to do what you planned to from the beginning. Time is your most precious commodity - do you want to spend your time improving in areas other people love, or focus on something you feel will be most fulfilling for you? Are there life and death needs you need to cover before you can do that? It's a balancing act. And no, it's not easy. What fun would it be if it were?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »

After reading the anecdote on 'the king', I di a quick internet search, but my article finding skills have seriously deteriorated since my university days. A note on that, when I was pre-university, noone told me my habit of associative thinking (made up name) and conceptualizing would come in handy. They'd say stuff like "stop daydreaming". In any case, I remembered a group role theory with 'the king', it's quite common, and I can't find it! I also don't have my books on the topic here (stored them with family due to space limits)

If I got the right one in mind, it's about a social group which retains cohesion through the 'king'. The sports fanatics would quickly grow bored with eachother if they were interacting with noone else. The king brings different groups together and if they need to talk about something other than sports, the king's court is the place to be.

The charismatic person is usually more of a jester or entertainer. They can sometimes make dissastrous hosts as they need to have everyone at the party entertained. One person not having a good time is a personal failure.

It fits some things you mentioned, as the 'king' is a part of, yet apart from, most of the social network. The trick is finding some people for 'councilors' who you can connect to. Not one person to connect to completely, spread the small talk around. If you want to talk television/movie, who comes to mind? Science, anyone? Politics? If I got the right theory, you can probably name someone for pretty much everything. People who are not 'king' only meet those others through you.

Ofcourse, I could be remembering this completely wrong and I can't find it yet online. If I do find it, expect a serious editing of this post
edit: Well, no conclusive find yet. At least I'm getting my old skills back, I was a bit rusty. The general gist I get from many articles is slightly supportive of my rant. Next edit: Great, found a book on the basics. Yay for speed-reading and skimming a text. If you have a talent in that direction, it's worth developing. Last edit: More supporting info in a variety of scientific articles on the role of group nodes in capitalizing on social capital, still no mention of "the king". It's probably somewhere obvious and something obvious.

lastly, the way to happiness is accepting yourself. People with nothing and no skills can be perfectly happy, people with everything and great capabilities are usually not, if not outright unhappy. Self acceptance is the key.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:37:42 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 04:11:21 pm »

How to art well
Heh. There's no such thing as Arting Well, because good art is what you define it to be.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 05:16:52 pm »

Eagleon: It's hard to stop listening to advice when you're bombarded by it on all sides every single day. If I thought I could figure this out by myself, I wouldn't even ask for this. That same raging independence that leads me to want to be able do everything and learn every cool new skill can also blind me to people who are actually dependable and okay. Thank you.

Weenog, tomcost, vector: Thank you. I will try to improve one thing at a time a little more often. Lack of organization can also lead to stress, after all.

Garath: Fascinating follow-up. I'm working on a lot smaller scale, but it is pretty spot on about knowing who is the Math Guy or Book Guy or Movie Guy and how to mediate between groups. I kinda doubt my charismatic friend knew all that, but it's interesting that everyone can have a role in a group like that, even if it's "mediator."

Remuthra: Yeah, to an extent. Learning forms and expressing them with semi-realism is one of the big obstacles to good aesthetics.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 06:49:25 pm »

A small note of warning, because I get uncomfortable if I don't.
Those group role studies etc are aproximizations, sometimes not more than educated guesses. People are way more complicated than anything currently can measure. I'm pretty sure everyone realizes that, but I feel better for posting this.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 01:54:05 am »

Ask your friends who you should talk to,
No specifications!

Most people fail to list what they should do immediately.

Pay more attention to yourself.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 07:35:27 am »

No specifications!

Vaguest advice yet?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 07:43:41 am »

No specifications!

Vaguest advice yet?
It seems so.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 01:03:12 pm »

There is a great deal of pressure from all over the modern world, at every stage of life, trying to "tell" you what you need to do or be, to be happy.

Exercise equipment commercials tell you that you need to buy that crazy bowflex contraption to get rock solid abs. (You dont. Equipment just helps, and you can often get the same results doing home exercises without such a thing, and actually going to a gym comes with other advantages, if that's your goal.)

Car commercials try to tell you that you wont pick up hot chicks unless you cruise around inside a mercedes, or a porche. (Again, a load of bull.)

Even little children aren't spared, commercials for toys and games making it appear that an entire universe of playtime fun could be theirs, if only their parents would buy them said toy. (I used to know a kid when I was young, with every shelf of his room packed with toys. He never played with them, as he quickly grew bored with them, and always wanted the new thing.)

The over-arching question I have come to use as the bullshit test for such assertions, is "What do the people making the claim GET out of making such a claim?"

With TV commercials, that's easy-- they are making BS claims to get your money. Could be kitchen gadgets, Self-help books for people battling depression, commercials for clearly dangerous but shiny and new pharmecuticals. Whatever. In every case, there is a clear cut profit motive.

Ironically, the same is true for many people asserting that "You need to be able to do X, in order to be successful at Y!" (with the implication that if you DONT try to be successful at Y, then you are a lazy sloucher and a drain on everyone.)

A GREAT example of this, was when I was still at university. At the time, I had ambitions of being an IT person. (I am older, and at the time IT was more glamorous than it is now--- and better paid.) While doing the obviously really real core material classes for being a well rounded IT person, I had a clearly red-headed stepchild thrown into the curriculum by the school. "Microsoft Office User Support Education."  Basically, while learning how to reprogram CISCO routers, how to diagnose and repair common computer problems, fix laser printers, and splice my own ethernet cables, the corporate overloads that hire IT people wanted IT people to also serve as tier 1 helpdesks for people who dont know how to make text bold, or insert a page break in an MS Word document. For real. The class was mandatory, and when I inquired why, I was basically told as such-- local businesses explicitly asked {demanded} for its inclusion. So, "If you want to be an essential IT person, you need to be able to do Mary in HR's job too-- AND tell her how to do it, when she forgets!"

The reason? If they can get their already overworked IT drones to handle Maryanne, and her swisscheese memory-- concerning how to do her damn job, that she supposedly does EVER DAY, and has been doing EVERY DAY for the past 12 years, like her resume says--- But somehow STILL cant remember that the little bolded B on the standard tool panel makes text BOLD--- then they dont have to hire somebody else to nanny her 24-7, which saves them money.

That's right-- the "A good IT person can "Assist" Maryanne when she has a question" is really just cloak and dagger for "We want you to be able to do any job we want to throw at you, but still pay you peanuts-- and you are a bad IT employee if you cant/wont let us do that."

The same is basically true for just about any other "Demanded" or "pressured" skill. There is always a reason why that other person is pressuring you to get it, and it almost certainly isn't for YOUR benefit.

If you despise the skill being demanded, you will despise doing the work. How does this make you happier, healthier, and more prosperous? It doesnt. It makes somebody else happier, healthier, and more prosperous. Who is that somebody else, and why do they feel that they are justified making such a demand?

Instead, look at what YOU, PERSONALLY enjoy doing. What are YOUR interests? What are YOUR skills?

Much of the unhappiness in the modern world today comes from people trying to adapt to an ever homogenizing system, that turns vibrant and interesting people into monotonous, interchangeably fungible drones. (Because doing so makes somebody else A LOT of money!)  The world tries to tell you that this is necessary-- that without your compliance, "The system" will fail, and other such horror stories. Really, look at the "The system" more honestly. Who does it REALLY profit? For 99% of people in the world, it ISNT THEM. Who profits from commercials for antidepressants, aimed at people who suffer from depression because they feel hopeless and worthless, because they have lost their senses of self and self worth? Do the sufferers benefit, trying to prop up their souls with happy pills, or do the drug companies, who only have a market for those drugs to begin with, because people are unhappy in epidemic proportions?

Personally, I'd say it is the latter, and that they have a very strong profit motive to keep people clinically depressed, and propped up on their drugs perpetually.  Nevermind that they almost certainly perpetuate the same deleterious conditions in their own employees, by driving them ever harder to be more and more productive and flexible with less and less, so somebody in a fancy office can get a bigger paycheck in the multiple billions of dollars this year, and so some greedy and sociopathic people with stock portfolios don't "Lose confidence."

Do you want to really be happy, and successful?

Ignore those fuckers.  Be yourself. Revel in being yourself. Do what YOU enjoy doing, and if possible, make a living doing it.  Be a vibrant and unique individual in the endless field of grey drones. Doing so will make you stand out, and will give you opportunities you didn't have before.

Only YOU know who and what YOU are. As such, only YOU know what makes you happy, what makes you feel good, and what makes you feel good about yourself. Why on earth would you EVER listen to a self-serving outside opinion, trying to tell you that you are wrong about something so innately personal?

Give any advice or edict about what you should or shouldn't do the "Profit motive bullshit test".  It will help you to filter out all the sociopaths trying to get you to do what THEY want done, while you suffer in obscurity. It will help you to be yourself, and be a happier, more satisfied person.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »

I'm 30 and for most of my life did what other people expected of me. It made me misserable, burned out and just plain depressed. Now I'm going to do what I want and what I'm good at. I have no clue what it is, but I'm going to have a great time finding out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 02:22:13 pm »

You DO need to have a game plan.

How can you turn what you like doing, into something you can live on?  Not everyone can. It's a harsh reality. However, in such a circumstance, you need to look at other options; How can I still make enough money to live, AND still be able to do what I love doing?

Knowing that self-actualization and self-empowerment are the real road to happiness is only the first part. Getting a plan on how to walk that path (since it is different for each and every person) is the second.

There is nothing wrong with wanting big bulgy abs, for instance, if it is what you WANT, personally. If you want it, you will have no problems putting the time into it.  If you dont really want it, and are instead being pressured into it by society or a weakened sense of self worth, then you will not get a good return for the time spent, and will get suckered in by the conmen trying to tell you that getting ripped will make you happier.

The same is true with attractive clothing, or fancy cars.  If you LIKE those things, then getting them will make you happier, and the increased self confidence will make you more attractive and noticeable.  BUT-- ONLY if those things have that effect on you.

Wasting your preciously limited time on things others tell you will make you happier, instead of on things you know make you happier, will only rob you of time and resources, and make you less happy overall.

If you want to pick up a new skill, do so FOR YOURSELF. Dont pick it up because somebody else told you to. You can even pick up a skill you dont really like, if it will help you to achieve something you DO like doing. In which case, you are spending your time wisely. (You wouldnt be able to achieve the REAL happiness activity/pursuit, without the non-happiness boosting one.)

Being a garbage man, or a janitor is not not a glamorous job, and few people actually enjoy it. However, when the day is over, the boss doesnt call you up for unpaid overtime. Sometimes the allure of a job is not in the pay, but what it leaves over--- Reliable time.

IT sucks the time out of you like a vampire. Your 8 hour day is done, and you drive home. Mary breaks the fileserver shortly after you leave. Guess what, that server wont fix itself. Back to work you go. When you get there, there's a laundry list of other things to do, "Since you are already here."  Your "You time" is seriously impacted. It makes IT people into crabby, burned out, and rude husks of people.   Similarly for doctors, on 24/7 call-- or any other vocation where "Above and beyond the call of duty" is "Expected" and "Required". In contrast, once you scrub that toilet, it's clean for the night.  The decline in american happiness appears directly proportional to the reduction in finances and free time of its citizens, as the pressure to "Perform" increases, higher and higher. (the people working 3 part time jobs, with no free time, so that their kids have barely enough food to eat, and clothes to wear, are the most unhappy, and most likely to be depressed.)

Be smart about your time.  Pick up a skill you either enjoy, or can live with, and use it to your advantage. Capitalize on the time you are able to retain, and make full use of it. If you are able to be self-employed doing what you love doing, even better., but again, not everyone can.

Having a plan and a strategy to combat the world is just as important as realizing the world is out to eat you.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 02:48:51 pm »

That last bit seems a little contradictory ??? Yeah, as a janitor, the toilet is clean for the night, but if you have to pick up two other jobs to make sure you buy groceries, it doesn't seem like you'd have more free time than, say, an IT person.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6