Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying my damnedest, still only one volcano...  (Read 1283 times)

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying my damnedest, still only one volcano...
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:41:23 pm »

Howdy all,

My goal is to have eight or so volcanoes spread around each map, so if one Fortress gets overrun, I don't need to start over completely.  So I edited my world_gen file to the following (for Smaller Island and Smaller Region, because that's the size of map I like to play)...

[VOLCANISM:1:100:3200:3200]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:50:1:1:1:50]
[VOLCANO_MIN:50]

I've also tried

[VOLCANISM:1:150:3200:3200]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:5:40:30:20:30:50]
[VOLCANO_MIN:8]

And still, when I create a new region, I only get one volcano showing up.  I touched nothing but these three parameters... was there another one I missed, that I should have edited? 

Thanks for your help, everyone!

--Wood

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Trying my damnedest, still only one volcano...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:59:30 am »

If you mean eight volcanoes per embark, that will be hard to generate if it's even possible. If you would like eight volcanoes per world generation, you'd probably be best off setting volcano number to 200. That way you will have a lot more than eight to choose from, as some of those eight will probably be stranded inside mountain ranges or on islands. With 200 you have a much better chance of finding one with sand or clay over metal (and maybe flux stone on a biome with trees).
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:50:10 am »

prepare for a lot of map rejects though. And if you also raise volcanism, you won't have as much flux in the world
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 03:45:55 am »

Howdy all,

My goal is to have eight or so volcanoes spread around each map, so if one Fortress gets overrun, I don't need to start over completely.  So I edited my world_gen file to the following (for Smaller Island and Smaller Region, because that's the size of map I like to play)...

[VOLCANISM:1:100:3200:3200]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:50:1:1:1:50]
[VOLCANO_MIN:50]

You've told the world-gen to ignore your frequency settings by entering a "mesh size" of 1, so you just have the normal range of volcanism with high variability.

I've also tried

[VOLCANISM:1:150:3200:3200]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:5:40:30:20:30:50]
[VOLCANO_MIN:8]

Volcanism has a maximum of 100. I've never tried setting it higher, but wouldn't expect that to achieve anything useful.

And still, when I create a new region, I only get one volcano showing up.  I touched nothing but these three parameters... was there another one I missed, that I should have edited? 

Are you getting world rejections for inability to place enough volcanoes? If the program just silently generates a one-volcano world without giving you the extra "too many rejections" dialogue, it's possible it doesn't actually use your worldgen settings, e.g. because there's some formatting error.

Increasing _minimum_ volcanism may help. You'll probably need to change the 'minimum square count' settings for volcanism, or the game will complain that there aren't enough low-/mid-volcanism squares.

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:27:13 pm »

Okay, so I now have the following:

[VOLCANISM:50:100:1600:1600]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:50:40:30:20:30:50]
[VOLCANO_MIN:200]

And still, on the world creation screen, I see only one volcano.  Are the others simply buried under the surface?

Also, Larix - is there some way to seriously mess up the world_gen file, so that I can know for certain if DF -is- pulling the setting from the one I'm editing?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:19:40 pm »

Are you using Advanced World Gen or the "Create New World" menu option? The latter, as far as I know, can't be edited.

Rather than editing the world gen file directly, try using the in game options to increase volcanoes. If I recall correctly, you can set it pretty high with ease, and in my experience you don't need to change anything other than the minimum number of volcanoes to get more to show up.

Also, if you've installed more than one version of Dwarf Fortress and you're editing the file directly, make sure you're editing it in the correct folder. I've made that mistake before.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:24:39 am »

are you actually looking over the whole world for all the volcanos? Yes, some will be in the middle of the ocean or high mountain peaks. Even with just doubling the setting there and with an emphasis on lower weight volcanism areas, I had plenty in the middle of plains or forests
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 08:46:17 am »

I think Woodimt's problem is probably the VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY token again (see http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Advanced_World_Generation#Terrain_Mesh_Sizes_and_Weights for why).

May I suggest changing the mesh size from 50 to 2 to get "[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:40:30:20:30:50]"? or maybe "[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:4:3:2:3:5]" which should have identical results.

Because that 1st number decides the size of the square, in region tiles, the following numbers are generated.

Admittedly I don't even know if it accepts numbers out side the usual ("Ignore", "2x2", "4x4", "8x8, "16x16") range, but if it does "50" is saying "break the world into 50x50 squares & generate results for them" (& since the largest world is "257x257" that'd probably be 25 large regions & 9 partials), whereas "2x2" is saying "break the world into as many separate chunks as possible & generate results for them".

Personally if I wanted to maximise the incidence of Volcano's next to low volcanism squares I'd adjust the ranges so the outer boundaries ("0-20" & "80-100") were more than the 9/17 set above, maybe go for 16/24? (e.g. "[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:2:8:3:2:3:8]", & no I haven't tried it before posting).

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:40 pm »

Keldane... it took me a minute to figure out what you meant by...

[Are you using Advanced World Gen or the "Create New World" menu option? The latter, as far as I know, can't be edited.]

So, yeah... I went to Advanced World Gen, and suddenly all my changes are working.  I thought that editing the world_gen file was, itself, using Advanced World Gen.  I guess I just need to read the fine print more often.  Now there are volcanoes EVERYWHERE!!!  AND I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks again, everyone, for all the advice!

--Wood