Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014  (Read 19362 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:54 am »

Anyone wanna bet that the Blue Sun is gonna make place for another announcement?

Didn't they speciffically say they had 3 major announcments though?

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:43 am »

Anyone wanna bet that the Blue Sun is gonna make place for another announcement?

But we all know Valve can't count to 3!  :P

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:24 am »

The thing is that SteamOS will most likely support the entire Steam gaming library without having to use WINE. While not a big deal and truly something that does not bother most Linux users, for some it just might be the tipping point to make them switch to a Linux-based OS.
I highly doubt this. Most source games are linux compatible already... And frankly, if Steam were to try and make it's OS "NT Compatable", we probably would have heard SOME sort of legal fallout already.
Anyone who has used WINE should have noticed it's not exactly got the highest compatibility rate, and anyone who has used it extensively will know they've worked bloody hard to get it that far. There's absolutely no way Steam could go one better than WINE without making a large business deal with Microsoft... Or working with the WINE team themselves. (Which is frankly a possibility.)

Aside from the idea of a WINE collaboration (which has great prospects outside of gaming), or the idea of a deal with Microsoft, that is largely counter-intuitive, I find the whole concept of a SteamOS slightly worrying.

Firstly, I'd like to point out this is yet another nail in the already dead and buried coffin of privacy. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the EULA will enable them to screen watch whenever.
Also, isn't it a bit ironic that in Gabe's attempt to "fight the evil of Windows 8", he has inadvertently created something that has the possibility (I say again, possibility,) to be just as bad. It's like fighting evil with evil.

Secondly, as much as it talks about Linux, I have a deep feeling that it's not really going to perform like a good Linux system at all. I was slightly disgusted when I bought an android phone, and then had to spend over 20 minutes of literally hacking the thing to access the bash. And that's from an open source operating system.
I honestly doubt they're going to have time to make SteamOS nearly as functional... Which is a big selling point. Or not selling point.
See, yes, this could be just something to slap on a Steambox to put under the telly, but even so, the strong point of steam as a gaming platform, so far, has been that while you can game on it, as a windows, mac or other (probably GNU) Linux system, you can hide steam and go do something else, like write a CV or launch a DDOS attack on that Gmod server 'cos the admin pissed you off.
If the SteamOS is just for playing games, it's going to fail hard, as no one will want that on their main machine and anyone who wants a "games machine" will go and buy the much more refined xbox or playstation.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 11:31:29 am »

They can lie. Or work through technicalities.

If the SteamOS is just for playing games, it's going to fail hard, as no one will want that on their main machine and anyone who wants a "games machine" will go and buy the much more refined xbox or playstation.
What is they want to play on PC rather than consoles?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:33:16 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 11:39:30 am »

The thing is that SteamOS will most likely support the entire Steam gaming library without having to use WINE. While not a big deal and truly something that does not bother most Linux users, for some it just might be the tipping point to make them switch to a Linux-based OS.
-snip-
While everything you wrote is an entirely legitimate complaint, I highly doubt it will turn out like that in the end.

I do not believe that SteamOS will require constant connection to the internet, nor that installation of Steam will even be mandatory. The whole "Steam" and "Valve-approved" thing is most likely just a gimmick to make it spread a bit faster as an OS.

As for the WINE thing: It wouldn't have surprised me if Valve did make a secret pact with WINE or something similar, but that is just speculation.

Again, what does not help either of the arguments is just how few actual details we are being given. The presentation has been painted with a lot of wide strokes and some key details have been left out. What we have here is pretty much the holy grail for speculators and conspiracy theorists due to all the vital things Valve left out of their presentation. Which is quite possibly just another marketing stunt to make the news spread faster.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 12:42:40 pm »

Also, unlike onlive... this is connected to STEAAAAAAAAMMMMM. So the games aren't crap.

By the way, apparently Bestbuy is making a switch to amp up their PC gaming section. Check it out: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1n0ndt/as_a_pc_gamerredditorbestbuy_employee_setting/

I just noticed that my local Best Buy also set up a HUGE PC gaming section. They took away nearly a third of the console section to dedicate specifically to PC gaming. Several brands of awesome gaming accessories, both budget and high-end. Is this a new thing in all Best Buys? I'm really impressed and happy about it.

They probably know what's going to happen hahaha.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 12:56:40 pm »

It just seems silly to have a big blue sun in the middle of the screen with no aparent connection to anything.

Most people seem to be fairly certain that it's gonna be SteamOS (confirmed), SteamBox and Library Sharing, but maybe the blue sun thingie could be an announcement for Source 2.

I only hope the gaming stores here in Belgium will gear themselves a bit more to PC gaming :/

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 01:00:36 pm »

Library sharing has already been announced. As in, properly announced, unlike SteamOS and Steambox which had only been sort of alluded to as possibilities in the future.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 01:02:31 pm »

From the look of icons, 1st looks like SteamOs (well, it doesn't really look like, but we know now), 2nd like Steambox and 3rd to library sharing or something like that ( 0 + 0 ). At least, that's what I see.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »

What is they want to play on PC rather than consoles?
(Assuming that is was meant to be if.)
Well, that's sort of my point. If they don't pull their thumb out and make something specific and amazing, it's most likely going to be outshone by everything else in different ways.
Unfortunately the market seems to be leaning towards just buying everything for their major quirks rather than just picking what suits you best... Which renders "mid-way" systems out of the picture.
PCs already have their pros and consoles have their own. There's no way SteamOS is going to outshine something like Mint, Ubuntu or even Android so they're hardly winning on the PC side of things. What makes SteamOS better than the xbox or playstation systems?
...That's at least how I feel it's going to boil down. Though I have a feeling they'll have an ace and they're just hiding it, or paying it no attention. (As always, valve.)

While everything you wrote is an entirely legitimate complaint, I highly doubt it will turn out like that in the end.

I do not believe that SteamOS will require constant connection to the internet, nor that installation of Steam will even be mandatory. The whole "Steam" and "Valve-approved" thing is most likely just a gimmick to make it spread a bit faster as an OS.

As for the WINE thing: It wouldn't have surprised me if Valve did make a secret pact with WINE or something similar, but that is just speculation.

Again, what does not help either of the arguments is just how few actual details we are being given. The presentation has been painted with a lot of wide strokes and some key details have been left out. What we have here is pretty much the holy grail for speculators and conspiracy theorists due to all the vital things Valve left out of their presentation. Which is quite possibly just another marketing stunt to make the news spread faster.

Before I start here, I don't like the use of the word complaint. It's more like apprehension. I've not seen anything from valve to be legitimately unhappy, and like everyone else, I'm only speculating.

The thing is, what you've laid out there is practically word for word what I'm hoping for. Unfortunately, the last time I got something I was hoping for like that... Hell I don't even remember it ever happening.
Yeah, my outlooks are grim, but, this is entirely founded on how the technology market has been recently.
Though honestly, I think it's a pretty positive thing when after a couple of years of utter crap, the worst I can say about this is "You don't really want to install it on your main computer."

or something like that ( 0 + 0 )
[ O + O ]
*cough* Sorry.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 01:20:34 pm »

It just seems silly to have a big blue sun in the middle of the screen with no aparent connection to anything.

Most people seem to be fairly certain that it's gonna be SteamOS (confirmed), SteamBox and Library Sharing, but maybe the blue sun thingie could be an announcement for Source 2.

I only hope the gaming stores here in Belgium will gear themselves a bit more to PC gaming :/
Steam universe expanding + Sun

Seems logic, doesn't it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 01:27:42 pm »

There's a big problem with visual connection. As far as being a page go the sun is kind of just stood out there in its own frame, making it necessary to scroll down the page to see the actual announcement buttons; but it doesn't actually add anything to the aesthetics of the page.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 01:54:52 pm »

There's a big problem with visual connection. As far as being a page go the sun is kind of just stood out there in its own frame, making it necessary to scroll down the page to see the actual announcement buttons; but it doesn't actually add anything to the aesthetics of the page.
I dunno, they do stuff like that quite often.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 01:58:45 pm »

Before I start here, I don't like the use of the word complaint. It's more like apprehension. I've not seen anything from valve to be legitimately unhappy, and like everyone else, I'm only speculating.

The thing is, what you've laid out there is practically word for word what I'm hoping for. Unfortunately, the last time I got something I was hoping for like that... Hell I don't even remember it ever happening.
Yeah, my outlooks are grim, but, this is entirely founded on how the technology market has been recently.
Though honestly, I think it's a pretty positive thing when after a couple of years of utter crap, the worst I can say about this is "You don't really want to install it on your main computer."
I apologise for my poor choice in wording.

But this is basically the difference between optimism and pessimism. None of those two outlooks are bad (as I said, your apprehensions are valid and you have every right to feel this way), but I just preffer to not speculate and see what I get when I get it instead of building up opinions based entirely on speculation.

.... and I just worded that poorly again, haven't I?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »

I'm still betting that SteamOS, being the "next evolution from Big Picture", is just a wrapper they have that lets you boot up your Linux device with your controller and go directly to the steam interface.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11