Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cultivation, gardening and life sim  (Read 3703 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
Cultivation, gardening and life sim
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:01:29 pm »

Hi guys i remembered a really cool game on ubuntu, just decided to find it again, and 'lo and behold! A windows version!
Cultivation is a game where you play as a creature called a "Gardener", you can plant seeds, harvest fruits, water plants and poison them.
The fun thing is the procedural AI that other gardeners posses. You claim a piece of land as your spot, and that allows you to plant and harvest fruits on that space.
The other gardeners will interact with you and each others, mating(hermaphroditically) and leading each others. Throughout the game, you have to secure food for yourself, secure offspring(your gardeners lifespan is limited and will go down even faster with an unhealthy diet) and secure survival. The is an implicit goal of the game: Activating some sort of portal to the spirit world, but that is not neccesary to accomplish, you can just mess around trying to cause a conflict, or solve it.

Conflicts arise when plots overlap each others, if you take a fruit from another gardeners spot, it will start disliking you, eventually putting it into a fit of rage.
There is no direct form of combat, but you and the NPC gardeners can poison the ground, killing the plant and leaving the soil around is infertile forever.
When conflicts get heated enough, they usually result in one of them poisoning the others plants, making that guy extremely mad at the other, possibly triggering a rage too.

The result is? Well, through out the course of a game of Cultivation, complex patterns of relations will develop, one guy might get mad at the other guy and start poisonign his stuff, forcing him to steal from another, again and again untill you have well.. let me tell you a story.

I found a remote spot on the island where i settled down with the three seeds i started with, this was to avoid any conflict between me and other gardeners. I kept my plants going and eventually i had a fine little garden full of fantastic plants with beautiful flowers. A cute blue gardener moved in a bit to the left of me and planted its own plants, we lived happily together, giving each others gifts as a way of showing friend, and later, partnership. Our offspring was nice too, it set off to other places and started doing their own things, eventually the island was flooded in our offspring. This created a problem, tensions in the northeastern parts resulted in poisoning, causing this spiral of rage poison more rage. This sucked a lot, as the resulting scarcity of resources up there forced the rather pissed gardeners down to the peaceful lands of me and my.. thingfriend. This was fine in the beginning, everyone found a bit of their space and everything was lovely. But the wars in the northeast started spreading down to us, the poisoned lands grew bigger and bigger untill there was only the southwest coast left. Everyone claimed their plots upon each others, this created a very unstable situation that eventually ended up in the great final war that resulted in the entire place, save for a few lucky spots were poisoned. Fruit was almost impossible to get. My guy had to live from only one type of fruit, wich is extremely unhealthy. Everyone but me and nother died, and now we are sitting here, trying to steal whatever ripens on that single plant before the other. I wont do it, but he proably will press that black button that poisons that plant, and that will mean the end of this island.

oh also here is a link for it: http://cultivation.sourceforge.net/
youtube video that describes it much better than horrible me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=s_ws1m5aTSA
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:06:32 pm by Eclectic Wizard »
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cultivation, gardening and life sim
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »

Interesting. I'll have to take a look at this.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »

not for windows above xp?

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:28 pm »

not for windows above xp?

Just played for two hours on Windows 7 with no crashes, dont even have to put it in compatibility mode :)

Edit: I just had a super nice play, only a bit of poisoning, hope i can be interventive enough to prevent any pollution apocalypse..

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »

Hmmm... Downloading now

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:04 pm »

Sounds interesting it does. I'll give it a try sometime if I remember to do so.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

very nice idea (especially the procedural content) but I think I'm overstrained with the action ;)

I had no time to think about relationships...I only tried to get food and throw some of it to others so I can mate.
After a while the whole damn island was poisoned :(
I ran into one direction with my offspring but there were only water and nothing more.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »

There is only one island :)
Once you get hang of growing fruits it becomes easier to manage relations.

protip: A good way to stop conflicts is by leading the creature that is mad.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:32:02 pm »

Huh, sounds interesting.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:37 pm »

Hmm. It seems to be an anarchic thief amoeba simulator, from what I've tried. The moment I plant anything, some other asshole run up and claims it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:19:37 pm »

This must be Soviet propaganda.

Because the cultivators are capitalists and do not share the farmland, they kill one another and render the land unusable.
Hello Hunam

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:18 pm »

Managed to "win" this after a couple of restarts by going through a spiral of incest.

After harvesting a bunch of fruits I went and payed the neighbors a visit. Eventually I played the diplomacy game; eating a few of the fruits that came my way and giving away the other popping out kids all the way.

Eventually everyone died excluding myself and one child. There was happily around 3 HUGE plants remaining so the cycle was to raise the kid, sleep with the kid, have a baby, eat a poisoned fruit and die off, repeat.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:03:52 pm by Blaze »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »

You are a terrible person. So terrible.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »

That is...
Oh dear.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »

I did pretty much the same thing, and I almost got away with it too, but I had less incest babies than I thought I did- I suicided for the fourth portal and died. Which was annoying because earlier that session I had made three rings, but they disappeared (I think maybe poison destroys them?)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2