Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some random questions about material preferences, decorations and happy thoughts  (Read 877 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm planning on making a project for myself but need some baseline things cleared up to help me plan accordingly.

1. If a dwarf likes a specific material, will they get a material happy thought from seeing a piece of furniture decorated with that material, even if it isn't that furniture's base material? (IE a moonstone loving dwarf sees a limestone statue encrusted with moonstones...do they get a happy thought?)
2. If Yes to #1 If a dwarf likes a particular animal, will seeing a piece of furniture decorated with their bones/shells generate a similar happy thought? (IE Would a Limestone statue decorated with cow bones appeal to a dwarf who likes cows?)
3. Will a dwarf going on break or attending a party at a statue garden get their material preference happy thought if they happen to see a statue made from/encrusted with/depicting something they like?
4. If a dwarf likes a specific color, will seeing a statue and/or decorations of that color trigger the happy thought? (Dwarf likes blue, sees a cobalt statue, happy thought or no?).
5. If a dwarf sees more than one of their material preferences represented in a single room, will they get additional or stronger happy thoughts?
6. Does the quality of the base object/decoration impact the strength of the happy thought if the materials match up with a dwarf's preferences?
7. If a building destroyer deconstructs (knocks down) a decorated statue, will the decorations also be deconstructed, or will they simply vanish?
8. What materials can moody dwarves use to build statues that cannot normally be used?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:35:31 am by Pinstar »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

7. Don't statues get decorated while still unbuilt, same as doors, tables etc. all other furniture? So the decorations are part of the item, not the building, so they'd remain with the item. If the item is worn/destroyed, so are the decorations.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the answers to most of these questions are not well know, if they are known at all. My understanding is that dwarves' preferences do factor into the perceived value of an item when generating happy thoughts, but I can't offer much more detail than that. Some thoughts, but few conclusive answers, point by point:

1. I suspect the dwarf will consider the furniture more valuable than it "really" is, increasing the potency of the happy thought for seeing the furniture, but there's no special happy thought for this case.

2. Dwarves have separate preferences for animals and animal products, e.g. a dwarf may like cats, cat bone, and cat meat, so I assume a dwarf who sees a cat bone-encrusted chair will only like it better if he has a preference for cat bone.

3. I assume it's the same as #1.

4. If anything, it would be a value modifier. I'm thinking someone needs to do a science project, soon.

5. It ought to increase the perceived value again.

6. ditto.

7. Decorations are inseparable from the base object, so they won't be damaged by the building destroyer.

8. They can be made of bone.