Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Nomic?  (Read 1086 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Nomic?
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »

Seeing as we've already got a game of Tacticus going, I propose that interested parties with at least a little knowledge of how to play a nomic band together and do just such.

I've read plenty on how to play one, but I've never had the chance. Everyone I've told about my interest in the game has looked at me like I'm insane. Either way, I find the intrigue of a game about changing the rules of the game irresistible.

I'm much too lazy to actually go out of my way to make this happen, or even really run the game as a functioning recordkeeper, but perhaps, for the sake of all dwarfkind, some of you would step forward and make this dream come true.

This is not a signature.

Jimbo8250

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Nomic?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

I've been trying to get a game going where I am and would be glad to play, I've even written up an rtf with a basic set of starting rules, so we could do an e-mail game if everyone wanted.

I'd set up the e-mail thing, if you'd like to join, you can send it to my e-mail address Jimbo8250[at]gmail[dot]com.  I figure we'd need at least 5 people to get started, more would be better.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

I want to join, but my only experience has been reading the first 1/3 of one that has been going for over 10 years. 17?
Eh?
Eh!

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:14:00 pm »

that sounds far to democratic and chaotic for my taste(to be the recordkeeper), i can run a game but it would be using an established rule system with rolling and all that(if anyone is interested, kinda off topic), otherwise im interested in playing, although i have never done so before.

Senso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://lendemaindeveille.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

I've played Nomics for a few years (mainly Agora, which is in its 14th year non-stop) and I know at least one other Agoran is active on the wiki.

A few months ago, I started one on SomethingAwful. It stayed alive for about a month and a half before everybody lost interest.
So if you want an idea of how a Nomic can look and feel in a forum, check out my thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2612765

Senso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://lendemaindeveille.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:19:00 am »

I also made a set of small tools in PHP to make maintenance and archiving easier. If any wants it, I could release the code.

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Senso ]

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

I can't believe I've never heard of this before.  I'm totally in, if someone wants to keep track of everything - it's not that I don't have the time to moderate, I'm just too absent-minded.

I happen to work in a law firm, too.  I should try to get the lawyers into playing this.  Now THAT would be interesting.  You'd have objections and loopholes everywhere (they're corporate lawyers)...

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

Ok, so we need to figure out what's going to happen with this. Any help from the more experienced is perfectly welcome.
This is not a signature.

Jimbo8250

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

I have a computer file I was planning on sending around to start up the game, then update it as the rules get changed, then send it around after each round of turns or by request.

Anyway, if anyone wants to get started on this, send me that e-mail, once I get around 5 or so people, I'll give it another few days for any more entries, then get things rolling.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

I was interested in this until I followed Sensos link.  :(
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »

Yeah, the SA one looks themeless and aimless.  But maybe that's because Ive only bothered to read the first couple of pages, which brings me on to my third point: multiple threads are good  :)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »

We're doing it through email? I thought it would run in the forums.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

Actually, I read the first post and the ruleset. x_x
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jimbo8250

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:36:00 am »

The reason I say e-mail (although forums could work) is because making the full ruleset post every page or so would be a wonderful way to drive everyone mad, although if we wanted to do forum based, I can do that.  Let me know, I figure starting next week Monday if we have the people.

But if it's forum based, here's the initial ruleset.  As everyone knows, this is easily modifiable.  I plan on labeling the immutable rules with an (I) in front of them, if that makes sense.

Nomic Rules

(I)Play proceeds in order to left.
(I)The first player to accumulate 100 points wins.

Turn Order
(I)Player nominates Rule Change (see below).
(I)Player rolls die and adds result to score.
(I)Player's Rule Change takes effect (if passed).

Rule Change Options
(I)Player may propose to do any ONE of the following:
(I)Add a rule.
(I)Modify a rule.
(I)Remove a rule.
(I)Make a mutable rule immutable.
(I)Make an immutable rule mutable.

(I)The players then vote on passing the proposition.

At the moment I have no idea how we're going to handle dice.  Shall I figure something out for that, or shall we just use the honor system?

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

Jimbo8250, that ruleset you posted won't work... for several reasons... Namely the lack of any standard rule/proposal number system, and the lack of any condition as to what makes a proposal pass.

One of the more survivable Nomic rule sets one can use is the "Agora Ruleset", called that because it happened to be the ruleset that started Agora-- the freaking old nomic that is still running. It can be found at http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/index.php/AgoraRuleset
The problem with Agora ruleset is the requirement that one person is doing a decent amount of work and is unable to win according to the initial rules; however, it does manage to catch all thrown exceptions, and it doesn't end once a win condition is reached.

Forum-based Nomics ARE possible, but are best run in their own sub-forum. Generally, the Ruleset would be its own topic, and a rule-keeper/the speaker would be given mod access and would edit the rule post whenever a proposal was adapted. All actual gameplay would be in another thread.

However we do it, I would most definitely be interested in a game.

Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.
Pages: [1] 2