Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Throw away your XX-pig tail sock-XX!  (Read 4569 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Throw away your XX-pig tail sock-XX!
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »

From what I understand, Dwarves are supposed to toss their ragged clothes on the refuse pile when they get too worn out.

I just checked one of my Dwarfs cabinets, and he has it packed with XX[useless crap]XX.

How do I make him throw away his ragged clothes?  There are plenty of perfectly fine socks in the stockpiles.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Throw away your XX-pig tail sock-XX!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:48:36 pm »

Method 1: DFHACK, clearowned. Then dump.

Method 2: Remove the cabinet from the dwarf's room, then place a refuse pile over the room, that does not accept new garbage. Let nature take its course.

Method 3: make a special "destroy the garbage!" Room. (More immediate, dangerous! +1 dwarfiness)

Special room. Consists of a 3x3+1 floorspace, containing a bed on the +1 tile, and an atom smasher. Looks like this:
   O===O
OO....SO
DB....SO
OO....SO
   O===O

Assign this room to the dwarf after evicting them from their old one. Remove the labors from this dwarf. They will immediatey default to "store owned item" jobs, and will place the offensive items into the very special room. Once they have done so, turn their labors back on and forbid the door. Pull the lever. POOF! All the offensive clothing is gone. Pull the lever again to reset, and reassign the dwarf's room again.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:43:39 am »

Method 1: DFHACK, clearowned. Then dump.

clearowned marks the items for dumping when it does it's magic. At least has for me ('clearowned scattered x', usually, sometimes just scattered).

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:08 am »

I just avoid cabinets in bedrooms except where needed for nobles. Dwarfs without owned cabinets will not keep old clothing, and you can set up a stockpile that accepts clothing and is designated for refuse and the old socks will all disappear.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:08 am »

I was actually hoping for a more low-maintenance way of disposing of old crap.

I mean, besides waiting until the cloths rot off their body entirely before making new stuff.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:46:40 am »

If you do the avoiding cabinets and setting up a clothing and refuse stockpile thing, they'll do it themselves. Just make sure the Clothier's and Dyer's workshops are linked to a seperate stockpile that takes from links only.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:57:55 am »

Interesting.  Many of my Dwarf do not have cabinets (long story) and just drop their pants and stocks all over the place.  Or a few stuff them into the bins for sell to the traders (which I have no problem with - shows some of them are greedy profiteers - good lads ).

We either need a way to turn them in rags - and use the rags for something.  Or we need to hire some of the Dwarfs to mend and do the wash.   :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:53:09 pm »

I have a setup like that with the stockpiles and I have workflow going for clothes, the only thing I actually need to monitor is the cloth stockpile.

Still, they'll hoard their junk clothes in the bedrooms and you still have to use DFhacks cleanowned all and cleanowned scattered (cleanowned scattered x doesn't seem to work for me) to clear out the bedrooms or scattered junk.

Mainly I just wish they would put the worn clothing in the main stockpile......

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:30 pm »

If you really don't want them to horde clothes, you can eliminate private bedrooms entirely. Stick them in a communal dormitory, and they just drop clothes wherever, at which point they are considered unowned and subject to normal hauling.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »

If you really don't want them to horde clothes, you can eliminate private bedrooms entirely. Stick them in a communal dormitory, and they just drop clothes wherever, at which point they are considered unowned and subject to normal hauling.

And forgo the legendary bedroom boost? Then again the negative thought from no proper bedroom seems tiny, -1 according to DT (those thoughts came from migrants I think).

Sticking the kids into a bedroom of their own also helps to keep them in the 'nursery burrow', which is actually just the civillian alert burrow. Though I could try it
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:13:08 pm by smjjames »

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »

Here's my tip:
Go to (o)rders and make sure your dwarves gathe(r)ing refuse, then set "other" category to to dump, by hitting (k).
By doing the above mentioned method, your little buggers will automatically haul their crap to the dump pile. (In dwarven terms, "crap" means damaged clothing, corpses, whitered herbs, vermin remains, etc.) xWorn clothesx doesn't count, only XtreadbareX, and XXtatteredXX will be brought to the waste.

This will keep your fort... not so clean, but at least you will not drown in your own laundry.

Cheers, G.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »

With the bedrooms set to dormitory, they temd to sleep in the hospital bed and in one case, on the floor. Unless maybe I set all of the relevant beds to dormitory???

Edit: Okay really, how do I get them to NOT sleep in the nospital? :P

Edit2: Nvm, setting multiple beds as dormitory works I guess.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:33:09 pm by smjjames »

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:58 pm »

I had a good idea.
Dormitorys that ARE hospitols.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:46:23 pm »

Alright, so I tried the "cleanowned scattered X" thing and about five of my dwarves died.

Turns out, most of my dwarves were wearing xxTrousersxx and threw them away.

Which means they got the super-bad-insanity-causing thought of "Was uncovered recently."

Which means they promptly went insane.

*sigh*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 07:22:55 pm »

You must not have had surplus clothing laying around. They don't normally wear rags if they can get new clothes.
Pages: [1] 2