Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Culinary Masterpieces  (Read 1664 times)

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Culinary Masterpieces
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:45:08 am »

This thread is for posting and discussion of the Dwarfiest Dishes of the Mountainhomes.

I'll start us off. My personal favorite:

[]This is a stack of 43 Dwarven Rum Roast[]The ingredients are superiorly minced yak tallow[]minced dwarven wine[]minced dwarven wine and well minced dwarven rum.[]

Chopped Fat, chopped booze, chopped booze and well-chopped booze.

I don't know about you, but I'm positively salivating right now.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Culinary Masterpieces
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:58:42 am »

I'm somewhat partial of the 'planepacked' quarry bush leaves roasts (in some cases, it seems a prepared meal is actually used as ingredient):
"This is a stack of 141 exceptional prepared quarry bush leaves roast. The ingredients are *** minced quarry bush leaves x11"

Hmm, "pen swan egg roast" - "The ingredients are minced dwarven sugar, minced dwarven sugar, minced dwarven wheat flour and pen swan egg." That't not a roast, that's a cake!

I've also seen the occasional meal including frozen milk; those of course only happen when your kitchen/food stockpile are exposed to freezing temperatures - outside in a cold or freezing biome or inside a glacier. Dog intestine ice cream may not be to everyone's taste, but it surely is dwarfy.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:08 am »

One of the things I think I will do some day, is make a mod that seriously overhauls the kitchen reactions, to actually introduce that world to actual food products and processes.

Basically, scrap the normal reactions, and totally overhaul the kitchen.
Maybe add another set of reactions for mixed drinks, so you can have the dwarven equivalent of a white russian. (Dwarven rum with dwarven sugar and scalded milk and a hint of quarry bush spice.)

I get really tired of looking at the endless stacks of omlettes, and jello-molds of congealed fat with odd things poking out of them.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:03:32 pm »

Has there been any consideration of an actual recipe book being created?  You know, simple meals might require meat + minced plump helmet, but more complex meals would require specific ingredients to make luxurious meals?  I've not seen anything on the topic before.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

Yes, the idea was to actually make reactions that have fixed item type requirements, so that, eg, "pie", needs flour, salt, a rendered tallow or other fat glob/oil container, and a filling of some sort.

This would allow both savory and sweet pies, with a wide assortment of possible reagents.

Similarly with cake, where you need flour, eggs of some sort, milk, a fat glob/oil container, and sugar.

Pancakes (flour, eggs, salt, butter, dwarven syrup.)

Etc.

The mixed drink thing is to enable a wider variety in booze-type constrained fortresses, to help resolve the "same old booze" bad thought, where new alcoholic concoctions can be made from the available alcohols, and other ingredients. (Eg, it's a freezing biome, so surface alcohols aren't an option except via trade, and your dwarves are tired of rum, beer, ale and wine.)

I like cooking, (one of my vices, actually.) And have plenty of experience in the kitchen. I'd be tempted to put exotic things in, like choux pastry, and creme de patisserie in. (Eclairs, creme puffs, and pals!)

It might be funny to see what kinds of strange things dwarves try to put inside an eclair, for instance. (Or turn into a sandwich.)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:24:50 pm by wierd »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:13:24 pm »

When doing the cooking recipes, you/we should probably stick to stuff that's still as general as possible, possibly keeping vaguely within the current food stockpile setting categories. Even if all of the options don't make sense, it's better to have some weird dwarven cuisine remain than for the system to be too restrictive, in my opinion.

So eg.
pie: flour + tallow/oil + 1-2 fillings (either separate recipes or just choose which), fillings have to be plant/meat/fish/seeds
cake (in the general sense, including various pastries): sugar/honey, eggs, flour, "filling" (especially seeing that fruit are coming next version, I think)
but also keep e.g. a simple "stew": any 2 meat/fish/plant. Pancakes would be another such simpler food, with eggs+flour, or e.g. Finnish pancakes, which are more like crêpes than the American kind, are actually mostly milk.

I read that masterwork has egg boiling, but don't know how much more it's done with this. Maybe there already is a modular kitchen mod floating around that masterwork or genesis have incorporated and kept updated.

...and now I started thinking what to do about e.g. rock nut press cakes. Rock nut value should probably be upped a bit from 1, and press cakes remain at 2, and usable as pie/cake filling (the press cake should still be nutty in flavour, after all).

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 02:26:21 pm »

Another good thing to add would be survival or other emergency like "seed biscuits" or something like that, which requires any two seed items. A common tactic of mine is to cook seeds if there isn't any food left, but they shouldn't be exactly filling. Maybe they could have a syndrome. Cooking captured vermin might also be a good direction to go with that. Maybe even put the vermin in with the seeds to make a more hearty meal ;)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:19:01 pm »

I was thinking of breaking things down something like this:

"Simple ingredient":  things like raw veggies, meat, or fruit, flour, tallow, seedcakes, etc. Raw food stuffs.

"Condiment": a compound ingredient made of 2 or more simple ingredient. Mayonase, ketchup, pie fillings, gravy, scalded milk, etc.

"Entree'": a single prepared food item, made from any combination of the above two items. Things like "pie", "salad", "sandwich", etc. Each has a specific set of requirements. (Pie needs flour, fat, salt, and a condiment. Yes, that means mayonase pie is allowed. Eat up.) These should be categorised by the number of reagents each needs. Some, like bread, just need flour and water. Others will need 3 ingredients, and some even more than that.

And of course,

"Meal":  a finished presentation of at least 2 entrees, or an entree and a simple food.

Eg,

"meager meal", is an entree and a simple food.  (Meat and potatoes type meals, or bread and cheese.)
"Common meal" is 2 entrees
"Filling meal" is 3 entrees (or at least 1 entree and an any suitable number of simple food), and
"Lavish meal" is at least 4 entrees (or at least 2 entrees and any number of simple foods.)

Dwarves should be able to consume any of the following, with a few exceptions:

Simple raw food (except inedible things, like raw seeds or straight tallow/butter)
Entree
Meal

Condiments should get [edible_cooked], so that they are still treated as food, but not directly consumed.

Meals would have the greatest possible degree of WTF going on, and also the highest values, being possibly made of many compound ingredients.

You could very well have a lavish meal made of prepared fly brain pie (made of pie crust made from crundle tallow, whipvine flour, and ground salt) filled with prepaired fly brain filling (made from prepared fly brains, and longland flour) served with roasted chicken (chicken meat, served with poultry stuffing (bread made from dwarven flour, mixed with plump helmet wine), mashed bloated tubers (bloated tuber, butter/gravy, salt) and and sunberry shortcake (made from blue peafowl eggs, whip flour, dwarven sugar, horse tallow-- and a filling/topping made from dwarven sugar, sunberries, and sunshine.)

Naturally, such a meal would be quite expensive, AND labor intensive.

It's also almost garanteed to give a dwarf a good thought, because it has basically everything inside it.

(Note, you could also have a gravy flavored cake, or a mayonaise pie, or roasted crundle drizzled in prickleberry sauce.... the permutations of the meal would be extreme.)

I'd have to add a job to convert rock salt boulders into cooking salt at mills/querns, and some jobs to turn raw quarry bush leaves into quarry bush spice, but that's just loose ends.
 Perhaps a workshop to turn saltwater into seasalt boulders as well, in the event that rock salt isn't obtainable either locally or by trade. That would give a useful purpose to having a saline aquifer as an added bonus.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:01 am »

I'd prefer not to add any steps beyond what's already in (milling/cheesemaking/pressing/processing to barrels). I'd also continue to let salt, pepper etc. condiments be abstracted. Basically, I'm saying that to me, the improvements that I'd like would still be vanilla+ (even though they aren't, due to semi-set ingredients for some/most things), but yours would be more of an actual mod. ;) But to each his own.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:52:03 am »

Yes, the idea was to actually make reactions that have fixed item type requirements, so that, eg, "pie", needs flour, salt, a rendered tallow or other fat glob/oil container, and a filling of some sort.

Masterwork mod does something like that. I'm not sure on what the names are based on, but you get cakes, muttons and other food.

Personally, I think I prefer the vanilla meal names, they are more dwarvy.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.